Drum machine suggestions please..

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by edgarallanpoe, Dec 27, 2005.

1. edgarallanpoe

edgarallanpoe Member

Hey guys, I received a Boss BR-900CD and I am having a blast so far, but the drum sounds are a little lacking. What do you guys suggest for an outboard drum machine? I don't need any effects, or guitar sims built into the unit. I am just looking for kick ass drum sounds in an easily programmable box.

Alesis SR-16? Boss Dr Rhythm?

Let it rip guys, what are you using?:JAM

2. joeprs

joeprs Member

The keyboard player in a trio I was in used the SR-16 and I thought it sounded as close to realistic as you could get, at that time. He sequenced the drums, bass and horn parts as well. The only thing we did live was his keyboards, my guitar, and the 3 vocals (female lead singer).

I don't think you would go wrong with the SR-16. It is much less expensive than when he bought it in 1990.

3. Scooter

Scooter Supporting Member

You might want to consider getting a drum loop CD (check out BetaMonkey) and importing those loops. They're actual recordings of a real drummer, and you can arrange the loops to fit your song structure (most of the time, at least).

4. Greggy

Greggy Member

You can make the DR770 sound acceptable but you have to dig deep into its architecture and make the adjustments. The strike curve is often set to linear which doesn't provide the thwap you need on many of the instruments. Many of the snare samples are lame, but some are good (LA Fat for example). Also needs compression and eq at the board or before somewhere in the chain for the tracks to come alive.

5. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

+1 on the sr-16. realistic sounds, easy to operate.

However, I use a digital program called "orion Pro" and the multitude of drum machines inside that program, which I can manipulate/import/humanise my own samples of choice in a myriad of ways. It is also vst friendly so you can by something like steinbergs(groove...somehting?) I forget, but that thing is mint too.

Now, im no drummer, so the only thing that people can decipher is by the lack of drumming talent:)

Check it out.

6. Sofus

Sofus Member

I would go in another direction, going for midi files and samples. It isn't that difficult to incorporate in a live setting - it takes some getting used to and to manipulate real time. It is possible tho, I have used a laptop with a USB soundcard direct to mixer a some times and getting it to work.

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Point-counterpoint: I'm going to disagree, I have an SR-16 and I don't find it easy to operate or intuitive. It has many programmed beats, but I find that customizing them and sequencing can be a helluva lot of work. I still have it but never use it, I'd rather have a CD of Jim Keltner (I hear there's one out there). :)

8. tac5

tac5 Member

I'm using the DR 880 and it has the best drum sounds I've heard yet. I don't use the guitar effects, but I do use the bass sounds for basic backing stuff. It's highly tweakable and records very well. It has a learning curve, a bad manual, and is frustrating at first, but after a while it all came together for me and I can get just about anything I want out of it. It never gets drunk, plays too loud, or rushes the beat.

9. wpod

wpod Member

I too am using the BOSS DR-880 and it has the best drum sounds I've heard as well. I've recently stopped reading the manual, which is challenging to follow and started tweaking in earnest...lots of nice sounds to be had

10. Lifewithoutpain

Lifewithoutpain Member

+1 on the DR880. Definately takes a while to get going but if you're dedicated it's probley the best you'll get without sampled loops.

11. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

I tried Betamonkey.com but said access was forbidden???

12. marinblues

marinblues Member

the dr880 is nice.

13. Greggy

Greggy Member

Are the pre-programmed drum patterns in the DR 880 the same as those in the DR 770?

14. TNO

TNO Member

The Zoom 123 has the best sounds I've heard and is easy to program. It may be discontinued but ebay will have them cheap.

15. andyc

andyc Member

If you are a guitar player, and want to jam along with the drums, also look at "Jamstix" by Razoon. Great PC program VSTi that "listens" to your audio input, or MIDI input and adjusts the drums to suit as you jam. Very human realistic drumming, and can work with DFHS, BFD, etc.. It's not an outboard hardware drum machine, but it's a great program and very inexpensive. Also it's a real solid high quality program - not cheesy.

I have no affiliation with them, etc etc. disclaimer. Just went through about 10 different solutions for myself including my old Alesis HR-16, Drumkit from Hell Superior (great!), using MIDI files track 10 drums, "Drumsite" and a few other things, and found that Jamstix is the easiest, most realistic drum "engine" and most flexible.

Cheers. :JAM