Drum machine through amp: will it damage the tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by goodsal, Mar 8, 2008.

1. goodsal

goodsal Supporting Member

I'm going to use a drum machine to pound a speaker to break it in. Will running the drum machine through the amp damage the amp or burn up the tubes? I don't have a solid state amp or stereo with which to do this, so I have no choice but to use a tube amp.

2. scarekrow

scarekrow Member

I don't have any real scientific evidence to back it up, but I highly doubt that it would hurt your tubes. But, your speaker...? Start out slow.

3. DavidH

DavidH Member

Just play guitar through it.Only takes a couple hours to smooth out a new speaker,if that.It's not like it's unplayable 'till it breaks in.

4. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Tube Hi-Fi amps play drums (and bass and horns and guitars and vocals) all the time.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Ive never worried about it. The tubes dont know the difference. Just another signal to them. However that drum machince will likely drive you crazy after a couple of hours! lol!

DavidH- FWIW -Ive had speakers that take ungodly amounts of time to break in. Noteworthy among them is the G12H-30. More than 50 hours was required before they smoothed and mellowed out nicely! Bob

6. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Why not just hook your stereo up to it?

7. Madsman

Madsman Member

I'd rather run a wave through it than a drum beat, but you'd be fine as long as you don't turn it up too much. The amp's in no danger... the speakers you are trying to break in ARE. Don't play any thump thump loops into your amp. Or you'll be breaking in another set of speakers next week. :)

8. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

I ran a drum machine through some amps in the past and I believe if its a combo,, eventually you will start to have problems with your tubes.
    I dont think its a problem with the actual sound going through the amp or tubes,, its the vibration from the drums. All that extra hard jarring from the beat will eventually wear out tubes faster.

9. 6789

6789 Member

years ago I had an amp develop an annoying rattle after playing a drum machine through it.

10. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

Running a drum machine thru a guitar amp will cause it to be late for practice, never help with the loading and unloading, leave you with a bar tab and in the worst case cause you to take home ugly girls just to keep it happy :)

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I can't figure our why a drum machine? (there may be a great reason...just..at first glance it seems like a bad way to go), I mean, drums are sharp attack, montonic (if you can call it a note, or notes, they are nothing like the rich harmonics from a guitar string), fast attack, no decay.

You'll be moving the cone I guess, quickly out and quickly back, maybe this is the thought behind it? But intuitively I would think it much better to have music going through it, and best just to play it.