Drum sounds into your computer!!

Seegs

I have a G4 with Digi OO1/LE and wondered what you guys are using for drum sounds for demo purposes...

Integration with my setup as well as ease of programming and easy on my CPU resources are priorities...as well as cost...!!

I'm interested in more traditional acoustic as well as world percussion sounds and not so much in loops or electronic beats...

H/W vs. S/W??

Thanks in advance..!!

Chow,
Seegs

Unburst

I use a Roland V-Drum brain for most of my drum sounds, it has great velocity/timbre ability.
This combined with some samples in MOTU's MachFive covers most ground.

Seegs

thanks guys...anyone using any software programs with good results...?

Chow,
Seegs

Play by Tone

BFD from Fxpansion or DFS Superior from toontrack, those would be the two best software drum samplers out there IMO. I don't think you can go wrong with either one too, as there is no clear advantages/disadvantages to either.

I've got BFD running on my G4 powerbook with LE (Mbox). It's great. It's a CPU and RAM hog, though. Don't even think about it unless you've got at least an 867 G4 with at least 768MB of RAM. And a second, fast (FW or internal) hard drive. They even recommend a separate HDD just for BFD alone, for optimum performance! But, the sound is incredible. It's like Bonzo in a box.

Seegs

Thanks guys...unfortunatly my CPU won't handle that...any other S/W drum sequencers that are a bit easier on the CPU power??

Native Instruments supposedly has one that is compatable with PT and drops down as a plugin menu...anyone familiar with that...??

Chow,
Seegs

MichaelK

Originally posted by Seegs
Native Instruments supposedly has one that is compatable with PT and drops down as a plugin menu...anyone familiar with that...??
Battery. I've heard it and it sounds pretty good. I've never used it.

I'm using a Radium 49 midi keyboard to trigger Mach Five samples. It was reasonably cheap and I figured it could do double duty for the odd keyboard part as well. And I liked the fact that it would be human (not quantized or sequenced) drumming, even if it was me pounding on a key or two instead of pounding on skins.

Not that anyone should take advice from me on recording, given my complete and total lack of skills in that arena... :(

Play by Tone

Originally posted by ratter
I've got BFD running on my G4 powerbook with LE (Mbox). It's great. It's a CPU and RAM hog, though. Don't even think about it unless you've got at least an 867 G4 with at least 768MB of RAM. And a second, fast (FW or internal) hard drive. They even recommend a separate HDD just for BFD alone, for optimum performance! But, the sound is incredible. It's like Bonzo in a box.
So what are you doing for a trigger? Are you playing the drums using a keyboard or using some kind of MIDI template?

Bassomatic

One of the moste powerful/elegant quick apps for cranking out grooves might be Stylus. If it wasn't quite so Eric Persing/LA souynding, i'd be all over it. I might still, at some point.

Originally posted by Play by Tone
So what are you doing for a trigger? Are you playing the drums using a keyboard or using some kind of MIDI template?
Both...I use one of those m-audio usb keyboards, and manual piano-roll editing of the midi. Whichever's quicker at the moment. I'm just starting to get into it, but the sound of BFD was impressive right away.

Seegs

Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro
His everything is completely sick!:dude
you sir have a time out...now back on topic!! :D

Is that the version of Battery specifically made to work with PT that comes in the studio bundle or Battery 1 or the new upgraded Battery 2..??hows it on CPU resources?? My G4 is gettin kind of old...!!

Chow,
Seegs

Play by Tone

Originally posted by ratter
Both...I use one of those m-audio usb keyboards, and manual piano-roll editing of the midi. Whichever's quicker at the moment. I'm just starting to get into it, but the sound of BFD was impressive right away.
Please post a sample of the drum sounds (and grooves) you're getting!

Play by Tone

Excellent. Are those "handmade" or is it a sequencer?

The drums really do sound good, continually I am swayed to go ahead and buy that program.

Trending Topics