Drum Tracks

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Blue Strat, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I'm using Sonar 5 and am new to the PC recording process.

What are some of the great drum tools for creating REAL sounding rock/blues drum sounds? I bought Pro Drum Works which has some great sounding drum loops, but I'd love to be able to do something like trigger real drum samples with midi. Better yet, something that doesn't require programming midi would be great too.

Is this possible? Other ideas?

2. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

do a google on "drums on demand" and see if you feel they could help.

3. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

I absolutely love Stylus RMX by Spectrasonics. You can use included kits, add their stunning "sage expanders" and import any REX kit (like the afforementioned "drums on demand") for use. It's an amazingly powerful tool for creating drum tracks. So powerful and feature packed that I won't try to explain it here. Take a look at http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/stylusrmx.html

I agree that "Drums on Demand" are excellent libraries. Since I've imported them into Stylus, they're even more versatile. Head up to Chuck Levin's and take your credit card!

Steve

4. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

Take a look at BFD by Fxpansion. Amazing sounding drum samples that come with a pretty good amount of MIDI drum loops and fills. That way you can have the ease of loops plus the ability to make changes to the MIDI files.

Stylus RMX is a good choice as well if you are willing to give up some flexibility in exchange for great sound. You would want some of the expansion packs for realistic sounding drums. I get a ton of use from it.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I'd been pointed toward Stylus RMX by someone else as well. Maybe their sample tracks aren't a good representation, but when I listen to the drum sounds (even the funk, rock samples), what comes to mind is hip hop and it makes me want to barf.

Guess I'll have to dig a little deeper.

6. poloboy286

poloboy286 Member

I agree with BFD as it is set up with lots of midi options. It has so many options as to getting the perfect sound of your kit too. It is a little pricy (300 or so) but it you are looking for a good midi drum program, BFD is great option.

7. Rufus

Rufus Silver Supporting Member

I have both BFD and RMX and tend to agree that something like BFD would be better if you want some straight rock/blues-type drum sounds. RMX is a great plug-in in general, but seems more geared towards electronica, soundtrack, and dance music. BFD has a variety of drum kits and kit pieces from which you can choose, and has both loops and fills and MIDI triggering capabilities.

8. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

Mike, I have been using Sonar for 3+ years now. I totally recommend Native Instruments Battery 2. The Battery Drums kits/samples are terrific but my vote goes to Toontracks Drumkit From Hell series of kits/samples. I use the M-Audio Oxygen 8 controller for building my drum tracks and I could not be happier. This setup is more advanced than any drum machine I've encountered and allows for much more realistic sounding drum tracks overall.

9. Mixotonic

Mixotonic Member

10. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

Another vote for BFD. The Jazz & Funk expansion pack sounds great!

Nick

11. bryan k

bryan k Member

im actually using drum loops by 'betamonkeymusic". they have a HUGE collection of styles,,,,,...from country, to rock, to funk, to jazz..........they send you a cd with all the drum loops already pre arranged by BPM, and are small clips (like 2-4 bars) so you can upload them in Sonar, and stretch them out to what ever length you want. they also include "single hits" and "one shots"......so you can arrange them to your liking and create your own stuff too.

PLUS.....these are not ditigal junk samples.....they are actuall recorded clips of a real drummer............it sounds real, cause it is real.

12. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

I had the Beta Monkey discs too, but the problem I had with them was auditioning the loops. There's so many! I'd spend hours trying to find the beat I was looking for.

Nick

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Yeah, I've got Pro Drum Works loops which are similar.

I was hoping to be able to (easily?) create my own parts triggering one shots.

14. bryan k

bryan k Member

i use sonar 4 producers addition, and i may be wrong about this, but........

i belive there is a way or one of the midi programs that come with sonar ( cyclone? or something?....) that allows you to import wave files ( which would be your "one shots" from the drum loops cd.........and control them with a midi keyboard.

i would have to go home and check it out again, to see exactly how to do it.......but i know there is something in sonar that aloows you to do this.

15. 2012studios

2012studios Member

What kind of music are you working with?

I think that is pretty important!

16. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

Personnaly I use real drums...that is I play Roland vDrums to record a midi track to a click, then trigger Larry Seyer drums through rewired GigaStudio in Sonar 5. It is a great set up because you can also blend audio tracks from the TD-20 with the LS tracks. This would not be for everyone, but I HATE loops for my music unless for ambient/electronica.

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I think I had mentioned that it's rock and blues, possibly some rocked up jazz.

18. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I'm not familiar with Larry Seyer drums. If you're "triggering" them, wouldn't they be synthsized drums? Unless there are servo motors, arms, sticks and real drums of course....

Drum loops are recordings of real drummers playing real drums. I like them a lot, but I'd like better control over fills, intros, etc.

19. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I'm using Sonor Home Studio 4.x. I opted for Native Instruments Battery drums. I thought BFD was most impressive and DFH sounded great too, but for what I'm doing, I didn't feel like spending that kind of dough. Battery was WAY less and I've been able to do decent job triggering its drums with MIDI. I also found that there are a number of placing selling just drum sounds very inexpensively. I've suplemented some of Battery's built-in kits with some individual sounds from 3rd parties. I've got a few clips of the Heritage Colonial amp in the Amps and Cabs section that features Battery drums, FWIW.

20. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

BFD premium and then XFL with drumtrax and you have everthing you could want!