Drum tracks

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gregorb, Jan 22, 2008.

1. gregorb

gregorb Active Member

Hey,

I am recording with my PODxt through the Reaper program and I am loving it. However, it would be nice to have some drum tracks included in the mix as well. Does anyone know of any software or way that I can add modified drum beats to my recordings?

Thank you and God bless

2. Platinum Sample

Platinum Sample Member

Check out BFD, DFH, EZDrummer & Addictive Drums... In that order.

Rail

3. jaycee

jaycee Member

Use midi loops (with a drum synth like ezdrummer or bfd, etc) or use audio loops.

Midi loops give you much more editing control. You can then download EZplayer free from Toontrack which will let you preview the midi loops in your collection with one click. Pretty cool. You can get midi loops from places like Groove monkey or Smartloops.

4. gregorb

gregorb Active Member

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be sure to check those out.

Thanks and God bless

5. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Anyone know if there is a standalone product that allows you to assemble a drum track from audio loops (.wav, etc.)?

6. KCWM

KCWM Member

I used to use FL Studio with some free drum samples I found on the web. It wasn't the best, especially when it came to cymbals or anything fancy with the snare drum, but it gets the point across using real drum cymbals. It's simple to use and has lots of features if you really want to get into the depths of the program

7. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

ya know, there are plenty of amazing drummers with killer recording rigs. If you've got $100 - $150, you've got yourself the real thing.

I say this, because I've worked with some amazing drum programmers, but for all their talent and gear they couldn't touch a great drummer/great recording rig.

I even know guys that'll work for $50/tune. Even at that price, the net result is exponentially better than a program.

8. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

Acoustica beatcraft is fun for keeping time and planning out drum ideas, but if you aren't a drummer, it's best to find one who can add some real flavor to it.

9. johnboggs

johnboggs Member

It's a standalone program that doesn't require a DAW into which you can plug it. The user interface is simple, allowing you to establish time signature and beat divisions for each instrument in the kit. As you create each "beat" (say, a measure of kick and tom hits), you can store it and then build a whole track from the various beats you stored.

If you want to put the track (or individual loops for that matter) into a DAW software package, you can render the beats as .wav files and them import them into the DAW. I've done this a number of times to create single-measure, single-verse, and whole song loops that I then download onto my looper pedal.

10. KCWM

KCWM Member

And most bedroom/home studio recorders probably aren't looking for the drum program to fully replace the drummer. I know that I personally use a drum program to fill out a song. It's better than no drums at all, and with enough experience with the program, it's passable. Most non-musicians I play my sketches for have no idea it's fake drums.

The drum program is a great option for someone in an apartment or home who can not record drums because of their extreme volume, or for those who don't want to pay %50 every time they feel like fleshing out a song.

11. gregorb

gregorb Active Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions

Godbless

12. frankencat

I already own a pretty good collection of .wav samples played by excellent drummers/kits etc. What I would like is a way to assemble these "clips" in a stand-alone editor.

13. frankencat

Actually Beatcraft is pretty cool. I just need to figure out how to create my own kits.

14. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Fourth for Acoustica Beatcraft. Downloaded it and had a drum track ready in minutes. Could not possibly be more easy.

15. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

16. KCWM

KCWM Member

FL Studio is good for that. You create a pattern and then arrange patterns to create a song. I normally create patterns that are anywhere from 4-16 beats. As I said, it's pretty simply to use, though not necessarily right off of the bat. And there's a lot of features I never get into because I have no idea how. You can pan the different drums to different sides, and raise/lower the volume.

I posted a link to my myspace in the soundclips section. There are three songs with full drums, ALTG, spin, and If I were You, which will give you an idea of how it sounds.

This is what I've learned with drum programs...

Bass, Snare, and Toms are the samples that sound the best because their sound is short and it's easy to get pretty much the same sound every time you hit them on a real drum set. Cymbals on the other hand ring out, so when you tell the program to immediate reuse the same sample...you lose something. For most of my cymbals, I have two different versions with a slight difference in volumes. It's made a difference with my open hi-hat and ride cymbal sounds. Not a HUGE difference, but enough.

I also have 6 different crash cymbals (2 of which I have two different samples with a slight change in volume). Often times, I will program a beat with 2 crash different crash cymbals at the same time so that it sounds like 1 crash cymbal. That enables me to supplement the different crashes as needed. And, effectively gives me a 3rd cymbal without having to find a sample that sounds like it. The newest version of ALTG on that myspace link was my first attempt at this different approach to cymabls. Before I just had a single sample for each drum/cymbal/hi-hat sound.

I'm not a master drum programmer, but it does allow me to present a more complete demo of a song. I wouldn't use programmed drums to put out a CD or anything unless I took a lot more time to figure out the program and all of the different things I can do with it.

17. mjl927

mjl927 Member

I've always been partial to ACID myself. (The drum program, not the drug. hehe)

There are TONS of free loops and free professionally recorded drum kit wav packages available for ACID out on the net. Newer versions of the program come packaged with a bunch of loops and wav sounds including horn sections, techno sounds, etc.

18. Adwex

Adwex Member

I could be wrong, but I believe one problem with sampled .wav drum loops is that you can't change the tempo. Some recording programs (I use cakewalk guitar tracks) allow you to "stretch" the wav file to match a different tempo, but then it sounds like crap.

MIDI is the best way to have full control, but it's not so easy to make them sound good.

19. Jman60

Jman60 Member

Cakewalk has Session Drummer 2, which you can use your own
    drum wav files, like the NS Free Drum kit mentioned on an earlier
    post, which I have and is very good for a freebie. You can use a
    midi sequencer to make the drum track, then bring in Session
    Drummer, select the wav files for each piece of the drum kit and
    off you go, real sampled drum tracks. Not much money either, I
    think like $80.

Or if you have the cash Dimension Pro. I just recently got Dimension
    Pro and it's quite impressive. Has all the instruments you could possibly
    need.

20. KCWM

KCWM Member

FL studio allows you to change the tempo of the song, and the only thing that I think suffers for me is the when the kind of sample that has a hi-hat opening and closing in the same wave. Because that is highly dependent on the tempo. Most other cymbal samples are pretty easy to adjust the tempo on.