Drummers: How good was Mitch Mitchell?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Fulldrive-1, Dec 21, 2017.

1. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

They sound good there but to me they sound more normal and by normal I mean natural. The drum sounds on Zeppelin records are not natural at all. It’s highly processed which is what you want on a record. Bonham’s drums on those recordings entirely changed the game in a good way.

I own a Ludwig USA kit 24, 13, 16, and a Gretsch kit 26, 13, 16, 18. I record both kits (with other drummers) and play live with the Gretsch.

What do you think about Bonham’s drums in this recording?

2. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

For 1967, he was a monster. I was in gradeschool at that time, and a classmate was taking drum lessons and his big three at the time were Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, and Mitch Mitchell. He loved You Got Me Floatin' and Fire the most.

Tonal Comfort and JiveJust like this.
  3. fenderpro

fenderpro Member

how good was Mitch Mitchell? good enough for Hendrix...

4. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Allen in San Jose likes this.
  5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

Good enough to play with Jimi.

6. Blackmore's Hat

Blackmore's Hat Member

I've always loved MM's drumming. For me the three most exciting drummers from that era were Moon, Densmore, & Mitchell.

Glad to see Densmore getting some love in this thread. I think he really is under-appreciated in the rock drummer pantheon. His dynamics and dramatic flair were integral to The Doors' cinematic approach to music.

Allen in San Jose and fenderpro like this.
  7. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

There were a lot of great rock drummers in the late '60s. Densmore is definitely up there with anyone; he was an incredibly sensitive musician, as were all of the Doors. They're still kind of underrated as one of the great improvisatory rock groups. They weren't a jam band like the Dead, but they had their own style. Other great drummers of the time include Clive Bunker of Jethro Tull, Michael Giles of King Crimson, Hal Blaine of L.A. Wrecking Crew fame, and Terry Cox of the Pentangle.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  8. DrSax

DrSax Member

I'd say you got that exactly backwards.

Edit: on another note, the older I get, the more I feel Keith Moon is immensely underrated.

9. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Substandard mixing? I really don't think so.

10. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

The earliest JHE recordings (the "Hey Joe" single and Are You Experienced?) have a very thin sound except for the bass guitar. I don't think that sound did Mitch any favors (or Hendrix, for that matter). Axis sounds better, but Electric Ladyland is by far the best-sounding of the original JHE albums.

Blingdogg, Lucidology and JiveJust like this.
  11. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Mitchell’s playing was brilliant but the way his drums were mixed makes them sound weak and thin.

12. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

The production values and arrangements are completely different. An enormous, Bonzo-esque drum sound with MM's level of jazzy busy-ness would be a disaster in the Hendrix arrangements. Do you think Eddie Kramer suddenly learned to mix after working with The Beatles and Hendrix, when he got involved with Led Zeppelin on II?

13. loudboy

loudboy Member

He always had ears, but technology was changing at a dizzying rate, allowing more tracks, isolation of separate instruments and better gear.

Approaches to engineering/production were changing right along with the tech, also. One of Page's biggest contributions was sonically, IMHO. The Led Zeppelin stuff was the first with really modern production - balances, panning, vocal treatment, etc. Compare Cream and early Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, etc. to LZ I, and it's night and day. That stuff, while great, is very much "of a time" while LZ sounds about like records do today.

Blingdogg and JiveJust like this.
  14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Much higher than Bonham. Higher than Ginger. No.

15. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Agreed on all counts. You'll never convince me that the drums on, say 'Bold as Love' or 'Spanish Castle Magic' sound "weak and thin", as JiveJust stated. It's a different drum sound entirely, and my point was that the typical huge Bonham sound would make zero sense in the context of MM's style.

deeohgee likes this.
  16. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

I agree that the arrangements were completely different. Buddy Rich’s drums sounded great during the same time Are You Experienced? was recorded and the engineers had an entire big band to mix against. Perhaps that’s due to it being Buddy Rich and him being the focus. Perhaps the reason Mitch Mitchell’s drum don’t sound as good as they should is because Jimi was the focus.

Either way you’re the first person I’ve come in contact with that thinks that the recordings do Mitchell’s drums justice. Thank you for your feedback.

17. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

As I said earlier, I think Axis sounds much better than Are You Experienced?. The first album has a really strange sound where everything except the bass guitar is really thin, as if Chandler or Kramer decided to give Noel Redding sole ownership of the entire spectrum below 300 Hz or so. I love the music on that album but I hate the weird EQ.

18. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I'm not a drummer, but I've always thought Mitch was accurate and tasteful, and certainly had a style that was a good fit for the JHE. Maybe he wasn't mentioned in the same breath as John Bonham, Neil Peart, Ginger Baker or Keith Moon, but he was still a great, fun-to-listen-to player, IMO.

19. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

There hasn't been a drummer mentioned yet in this thread I don't really like.

Mitch Mitchel was superb.

I wonder how many folks here are familiar with this album? Baker's drumming on it gives me goose bumps!

20. Blackmore's Hat

Blackmore's Hat Member

^^^^ Saw them at the USF Special Events Center. Good show.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017