Drummers: Is Lars Ulrich considered one of the greats?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by annostyle, Aug 10, 2018 at 3:18 PM.

1. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Member

He's a good drummer, but like many great guitarist (like EVH and Clapton) innovation has passed him up. The important part is that he was the inspiration for that innovation.

2. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Are we seriously discussing whether Lars Ulrich is one of the greatest drummers of all-time?

I’ll share the most important concept I teach to my students in hopes that someone finds it impactful. As musicians, it’s important to listen to the very best music possible; it trains your ear, your instinct and your taste. In fact it’s all the training you ever need. Too many players today seem to be listening to nothing but popular music, which does NOTHING to help you develop and mature musically.

If you can’t instantly recognize the difference between greatness and mediocrity, all you need to do is change your listening habits from popular to “musician’s music”. Your ear will get it long before you grow to like it, but stick with it. The impact this will have on your musicianship is dramatic, noticeable, and so very worthwhile.

kafka and Baracus like this.
  3. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Thank you.

Unfortunately, some people are lightening rods for criticism around here. Kirk and Lars seem to be two of them.

I don't think there are any individual greats within the band. They are very good at what they do, and collectively, I don't think the band's greatness can be denied.

Where so many bands (even great ones) have had good 6-8 year runs, what Metallica has managed to do is pretty amazing. The band is truly the sum of its parts.

4. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

Yeah but they have Exodus's drummer from "Shovel headed Kill Machine".

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 5:12 AM
  5. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Sorry dude I tried real hard to get out of these threads but I can’t stay quiet for this. I write this in the hope that a future teacher finds it impactful.

Your advice is the absolute worst advice to give anyone let alone a beginner. “The very best music possible” as defined by you¿ “Don’t listen to pop music listen to "musicians music”¿? So no pop music is great? Do you know that pop is short for popular? Telling anyone not to listen to Ariana Grande , that’s junk & wont help you you need to be listening to Gov Mule that’s “musicians music” is not only wrong but the fastest way to get a kid to bail on the guitar.

You define what good music is for yourself but not for anyone else , it isn’t about you & it shouldn’t be about you. If a kid likes & listens to pop music or anything else that’s what you teach them. The most important thing is to get them to play anything musical as fast as you can & throw in bits & pieces of scales - theory along the way. Their ear will eventually develop or not but the music they’re listening to is irrelevant¿!

You need to do the opposite of every single thing you said. And Lars is a great drummer! Top 50 all time nope but he’s definitely in the top 100.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    Thojan, Davy, jbcohen92 and 9 others like this.
  6. PB+J

PB+J Silver Supporting Member

I’m guessing Lars thinks the answer is yes

7. sleep

sleep Supporting Member

That song, and that entire album, is horrible except for maybe 'through the never'. That was the beginning of their descent into Spinal Tap-land. I can't even look at the black album without thinking of 'smell the glove' and wonder if they knew/thought about that. Prior to that album, it seems like the primary band objective was to stay out of Hetfield's way, which worked out great for KIA, RTL, and MOP.

CJReaper and Danzego like this.
  8. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Please explain.

9. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

17 million Metallica fans says you're wrong.

R3deemed and TheGuildedAge like this.
  10. sleep

sleep Supporting Member

Who defines the 'best' music? Is technical ability any type of barometer? Compositional complexity? There are so many different ways to appreciate music that poisoning yourself against simplicity and/or simple music driven by emotion over intellect diminishes you as a musician, IMO, as does forcing 'musician's music' on yourself, which is, in itself, a pretentious, ridiculous concept. Challenge yourself? Definitely. Change your tastes based upon someone else's definition of what's good? That is weakness.

If you shut out any music- rap, country, metal, oldies, whatever it is you deem beneath you, you are sabotaging yourself as a musician. There is something good, or at least worthwhile, in every genre.

I believe that it's music's ability to connect with people, not the ability of the person performing it, that defines greatness vs. mediocrity, not how many different tone colors you can achieve or the convoluted path you've found through a piece of music with your 'musician's ears'.

11. sleep

sleep Supporting Member

Metallica's musical peak and the peak of their popularity are two different things. After '... And Justice for All', they changed directions. They released accessible music, simplified it, a new group of people enjoyed it. It was a win/win for Metallica and those people, but for many fans of classic Metallica, the black album was/is disappointing.

12. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Lars is shockingly bad.
    Metallica were at their prime in the late 80's, even that Seattle show is all over the shop, missed fills left, right and centre and timekeeping just hilariously bad.
    However Lars was the frontman, the showman, the bridge between stage and crowd. As a mediocre drummer, he's a helluva frontman.
    Even his tracked grooves and fills are awkward!
    Black is a great record, with a pop producer at the helm organising Hetfield's 8 minute epics into digestible FM Rock fodder.
    "Harvester of Sorrow" is the greatest indicator of what was to come before they went into prepackaged McMetal...so to answer your question, Lars role as a drummer is 50% at best what he brought to Metallica. He organised, shitkicked, riled up the crowd and WAS that band.

13. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Absolutely, and I totally agree. I can't listen to anything after Justice.

CJReaper, Danzego and sleep like this.
  14. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Oh.

My.

God.

Thojan, Gibson Dog, jbcohen92 and 2 others like this.
  15. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

Oh please. Get over yourself. I know here at The Gear Page, it's generally frowned upon to corallate album sales to "good" or "quality", but not liking the musical direction they took is one thing, but sitting back, and saying its "horrible" , is just kinda ridiculous to say. Fact is it sold, and continues to sell, to the tune of around 17 mil. regardless of ones musical preference to the classic Metallica albums prior, anyone that makes the claims of the black album "sucks" or is "awful", "horrible" etc loses any kind of credibility imo. it's a juggernaut of an album.

To the OPs question, I'd say emphatically hes great. Best to roam his musical landscape...no probably not. For as great as some of the other drummers that have been mentioned in this thread, thankfully, they are not in Metallica. I think without question, what he brings to the band is also just as important as his lack of technical ability. Even with his sharp sense of business, he's completely fearless regarding taking on new sounds and changing direction. Maybe if they had a Lombardo, we'd be listening to MoP part 12, but really I like the fact that they dont write the same album over and over...That's Lar's influence. Also without question, these guys have influenced countless to pick up an instrument and bash away. that means something.

16. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Lord no. Lars is pretty limited but he gets the job done in Metallica.

17. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

The best drummer, ever, (my opinion). The late, great Buddy Rich...

18. MadAsAHatter

MadAsAHatter Member

Now this is a drummer :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    CJReaper, macdolfan904 and MERKS like this.
  19. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I think Metallica fans hate the black album because it went mainstream.

A band they loved and felt like was theirs became huge, so it wasn’t special anymore.

20. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I started playing guitar because of Metallica at age 15. I don't listen to them at all except for some nostalgia... but I thank them for turning me onto guitar. Its been a crazy fun life.

People love to rag on Lars and Kirk. They are not musician's I look up to much - but they are, like others have said, perfect for a historically significant band. And a drummer that is quite good, Mike Portnoy has publicly defended Lars *as a drummer*. I think how much he sucks is a bit over done. I'd have to play with him to feel how bad he is or isn't. But listening to him - he fits the music quite well.