drummers with bad/uneven tempo. Examples on record?

Misterbulbous

The Chicago documentary referred to Danny Seraphine's inability to sustain a consistent tempo (paraphrasing...). I've heard this mentioned about other drummers (like Moon and Ringo), and there was a pretty interesting story about Bobby Rock with Vinnie Vincent, where he was criticized by Vinnie for not being precise with the click track.

Can anyone point to recorded music where one can CLEARLY hear the drummer wandering or varying tempo?

chopsley

Silver Supporting Member
This is the first that came to mind:

At around 2:50: drums speed way up during break, slow back down when the rest of the band comes in.

I should add that this could be because of a bad edit, not necessarily the drummer's fault.

chopsley

Silver Supporting Member
Also, if I remember correctly, Topper Headon complained about the drums speeding up in "Brand New Cadillac" on London Calling during the guitar solo. I don't think I ever really noticed it, though.

major-minor

Silver Supporting Member
"Heat Of The Moment" by Asia.

Seems to speed up at the first chorus. I assumed that they wanted it that way , for some reason.

Was never bothered by it-------just something I'd always noticed.

mixwiz

I was in a band in the 80's and it took me forever to figure out the drummer. He wasn't great but he was decent though his tempo was all over the place. I finally figured out that he would speed up on tunes he liked and slowed down on ones he didn't. I doubt it was a concious decision but once I figured it out, I alterted the bass player and all was good.

m1911

The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper
Love the songs and guitar playing, but the drumming suxx
Bloomfieldkoooper2.jpg

Papanate

Isn't there a famous metal drummer who is criticised for this? Don't know of a specific track though?

Lars from Metalica has a infamous reputation for not playing in any specific tempo
over entire songs. I have no idea if he was letting the Coca Cola do the talking -
he's reportedly been clean and sober for at least 10 years - and his live drumming
has noticeably improved.

One big improvement is he is really playing live again - there was a period back 15 years ago
or so where Lars was not live - he 'played' to ProTools tracks.

27sauce

One big improvement is he is really playing live again - there was a period back 15 years ago
or so where Lars was not live - he 'played' to ProTools tracks.

Explain that. He's notoriously all over the place, but he's playing to a track? Was the track off too? What was on the track?

So you have whatever tempo Lars is playing, the tempo of the track, then the tempo the rest of the band is playing? 3 tempos at once?

I think his timing is worse now than ever. Listen to any recent Sad But True. In fact, pull up ten different ones since '91 and you'll get ten different tempos.

Last edited:

Papanate

Explain that. He's notoriously all over the place, but he's playing to a track? Was the track off too? What was on the track?

According to the FOH theDrum tracks were playing through his monitor and out front. His kit was not mixed - dead microphones.

I think his timing is worse now than ever. Listen to any recent Sad But True. In fact, pull up ten different ones since
'91 and you'll get ten different tempos.
I have not idea how he plays night to night.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper
Love the songs and guitar playing, but the drumming suxx
Bloomfieldkoooper2.jpg

IIRC those guys had only played together once (if that) when that was recorded. Not excusing drumming issues, but just some context.

27sauce

According to the FOH theDrum tracks were playing through his monitor and out front. His kit was not mixed - dead microphones.

I have not idea how he plays night to night.

Wow, so for a period of time(?) he was just miming up there? And he and the rest of the band were playing to a track? An all over the place, off tempo track, at that. Amazing

Trending Topics

Top Bottom