Dry/Wet/Wet configuration info wanted

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by egkor, Sep 10, 2008.

1. egkor

egkor Member

Hi,

I want to explore setting up my amps in a dry/wet/wet or wet/dry/wet type configuration.

I have been looking all over the Internet (various forums) and I can't find the info I am seeking.

I have one Peavy Classic 30, and two Vox AC15CC1 amps. I would run the Classic 30 as the "dry" amp, and the AC15s as the "wet" amps.

The info I'm looking for is, what is the best way to do this? What benefits does this configuration provide? What bits of hardware/effects are needed to do it?

Appreciate it (and TIA) if anyone could point me at a web (or other) resource for this.

-Gary K

2. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Well first, what exactly are you trying to accomplish with having those settings? A 'dry' setting would just be the sound of your signal based on the settings you have on your guitar, instrument cable, and amp. If you turn on any effects that alters your sound, then you would have a 'wet' signal. So if I'm understanding what you are trying to do correctly, to achieve that setting would be to A/B your amps with an AB/Y pedal with one side going through a pedal board and into the AC15 as your 'wet' side and another going straight into the Classic 30 as your 'dry'.

The benefit is that you get a wider range of sounds rather than strictly those of one amp. If you have delays, choruses, or reverbs with stereo outputs, you can get a full stereo setting with those effects. The downfall of this is that you then have one extra thing to worry about.

3. egkor

egkor Member

I have read posts by guitarists that use a center "dry" amp (or channel), and left and right "wet" amps (or channels). I have the amps to do this. I am interested in finding more information about it.

I understand the guitar output signal can be split into an "A" and a "B".

"A" can go straight to the center/dry amp. "B" can go to a stereo pedal, such as the Boss CE-5 chorus. The output of the CE-5 can go to each left/right "wet" amp.

I just want to read more about this, and see what the configuration and tone possibilities are.

Thanks,
    -Gary K

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There're a couple of ways of doing this depending on what you're looking for, but given the tools you have to work with, here's what I'd do:
    Guitar
    Wahs, Filters, Dirt Boxes and compression
    AB box
    A goes to the Peavey
    B goes to the ambient effects: chorus, phase, flange, delay, reverb
    Mono effects first, then stereo. You've got a problem if you're using a couple of different stereo effects, because you somehow have to mix the effected signals together (I've used a little DOD resistance mixer, so dry or left signals all go down the chain to the left amp, wet or right signals go to the little mixer and are combined and sent to the right amp). It's WAY easier to use a single rackmount effects unit for your wet effects in this context, so the mixing is taken care of in the box. Something that allows reverb, delay and at least one other effect.

Now, you set up the Peavey directly behind you and the Voxes spread as far apart as you practically can to maximize the stereo effect. OF course, if you're miking your amps into a mono PA system, the whole effect goes out the window... That should do it...

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I run a wet/dry but another wet channel would work the same way. I run my speaker out into an attenuator with a line out. The line out goes to a 1/2 rack space 6 channel mixer because I run more than one amp. I run that into my mono/stereo effect unit/units and from there into the loop return of another amp or self powered speaker or PA. You can not run the effects out into a guitar amp input it will over drive the first stage and sound horrid if it even works at all. You have to drive into a effects loop return or line type input.

The ambiance setting I use sounds terrific replicates what we all hear on every recording and live show. Totally dry tone just doesn't cut it anymore.

6. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

There is a guy who posts on HCFX called Zachman. he knows a fair bit about wet/dry/wet rigs and such. Do a search for him over there.

I think he might even help you figure stuff out if you contact him.

7. egkor

egkor Member

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Your posts are very helpful, and appreciated! :)

I posted the same question in the "Amps" forum, and received some great info there too.

Many Thanks!!!

-Gary K

8. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I have a Wet/Dry rig with an line level output coming from my speaker cab. That goes to a TC Electronic nova system, set 100% wet and then to a G&K ML250 compact amp.

9. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Hi Gary,

Here is a video of Bob Bradshaw going through my W/D/W rig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdHwhMzJbeo

Hopefully this helps