DryBell Unit67 has arrived!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rkharper, Sep 19, 2018.

1. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I can't give a long term report as it's only been on the board a few weeks. Regardless, it's staying. In the past, I'd used a Xotic EP Booster with the gain low as an always-on pedal at the end of the chain to add some zing to my tone. The Unit67 does that and much more. I've put the Unit67 just after my fuzz in the signal chain. The compressor and Rangemaster sections can be very subtle - almost like there's no effect on at all. However, when you turn off the pedal, it feels like your tone now sucks. You can dial up the compressor/Rangemaster so that you hear them as distinct effects but that's not something I'm using it for.

I'd been using a few different compressors and the Unit67 is a nice change in that it's subtle yet adds sustain. I've mostly used a bit of boost - just past unity gain as I get most of my dirt from the amp. It's cool that you can use your foot to turn the big knob if you want more. However, I'm not sure it's a TS style boost...it's more even sounding.

What's also nice is that it's very easy to dial in. Just point all the knobs at noon and you're done. I haven't felt the need to really change settings from the noon positions.

Anyway - great pedal (just like the Vibe Machine that I also have). Love it in front of my Kemper, Dirty Shirty, and DR and I suspect it'll work great with any amp.

Ramhead and NamaEnsou like this.
  2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Got an email today they did a limited edition in the vibe machine color.

Cool story bro

3. rollyfoster

what’s going on with the power supply in the Unit 67? Is it a charge pump? I know it internally steps up to 23v but it can also be powered at 9-18v....but AFAIK a typical charge pump can’t be fed increased voltage.

Would anyone expect Strymon pedals to react to this? I know that they’re notorious for not getting along with Klon style charge pumps.

@Ramhead @zvonch @amz-fx any thoughts? Y’all still around here?

4. zvonch

zvonch Member

@rollyfoster

The internal voltages in the Unit67 are fixed. Yes, you're right, the Unit67 has a charge pump and some charge pumps can't be fed with increased voltages (like 18V), but this is not the case here.
    There are no internal headroom changes by changing the power voltage - the sound remains the same. Internally, the Unit67 has the voltage regulator before charge pump, so the charge pump is always working in the safe voltage range. As the embedded voltage regulator can normally work with 18V input voltage, we have just added this info on the pedal backplate/manual.

The simple reason for adding this 9-18V mark:
    If/when someone has a free power supply output on his power supply unit (for example, all 9V outputs are used and some 12V/18V outputs are free to use), THEN the Unit67 can be powered from this unused "higher voltage" output without any problems and without any sound changes. So, the user can save some 9V outputs and use 'em for pedals which need to be powered with 9V only.

I hope I've helped,
    Guys, if you have any questions about our pedals, feel free to ask anytime (!).
    cheers,
    Zvonch

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    fakeox, louisnd, rollyfoster and 4 others like this.
  5. rollyfoster

Awesome, thanks!

Anybody finding issues with digital effects? I’m trying to do a little research before getting some stuff.

zvonch likes this.
  6. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

I'm using a Mobius and I don't have an issue so far. I had issues in the past with an archer ikon.

rollyfoster likes this.
  7. rollyfoster

Good to hear! I’m about to receive one. Is the 67 in front? In the pre/post?

8. louisnd

louisnd Member

I haven't notice more hiss or hum when paired with digital pedals.

9. rollyfoster

cool! No heterodyne whine I assume?

10. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

It's pre

rollyfoster likes this.
  11. louisnd

louisnd Member

Not in my setup.

12. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Underwhelmed as well. Honestly, I prefer my Spark Mini as a boost and my Mini Ego comp. It seemed both superfluous and redundant on my electric board.

But I got a mint used one for a good price. For the time being it’s found a home with my acoustic rig for slide. The comp and EQ work really well in that context.

13. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I’ve owned both. The Bloom was off my board in ten minutes. It’s a DSP emulation, whereas the Unit67 is pure analog. I hated the Bloom... harsh and unmusical. The Unit67 is musical, although a tad underwhelming.