DryBell Unit67 has arrived!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rkharper, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Interested in what the mid knob on this pedal sounds like. I'm looking for a pedal to do two very specific things:
    • A subtle 'add sustain and fullness' compressor without the heavy squish, for leads
    • Dial in a controllable amount of TS-808 style mid boost. I don't want it to do the full TS thing where it lops off a ton of low end too, but imagine a sort of 'mix in some TS mids' kind of thing.

2. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I can't give a long term report as it's only been on the board a few weeks. Regardless, it's staying. In the past, I'd used a Xotic EP Booster with the gain low as an always-on pedal at the end of the chain to add some zing to my tone. The Unit67 does that and much more. I've put the Unit67 just after my fuzz in the signal chain. The compressor and Rangemaster sections can be very subtle - almost like there's no effect on at all. However, when you turn off the pedal, it feels like your tone now sucks. You can dial up the compressor/Rangemaster so that you hear them as distinct effects but that's not something I'm using it for.

I'd been using a few different compressors and the Unit67 is a nice change in that it's subtle yet adds sustain. I've mostly used a bit of boost - just past unity gain as I get most of my dirt from the amp. It's cool that you can use your foot to turn the big knob if you want more. However, I'm not sure it's a TS style boost...it's more even sounding.

What's also nice is that it's very easy to dial in. Just point all the knobs at noon and you're done. I haven't felt the need to really change settings from the noon positions.

Anyway - great pedal (just like the Vibe Machine that I also have). Love it in front of my Kemper, Dirty Shirty, and DR and I suspect it'll work great with any amp.

Ramhead and NamaEnsou like this.