DryBell Unit67 has arrived!

Grendel2000

Clean amp, compressor on (4dB setting With knob at around 1-2 o’clock), Bass at 11, treble at 1, boost around 11:30.

I start to hear noise when the Boost knob gets up around 1-2 and it gets worse the higher it goes. It’s not terrible but easily noticeable. Dead quiet with boost at noon though.

Grendel2000

And WRT the function of the Range knob, I agree that rotating it to the left functions as a mids cut/EQ. I guess my point is that that’s not how most “Gain” knobs work. They start at full CCW for “no extra gain” and go up from there. This behaves more like an EQ. To describe its 12 o’clock position as “unity gain” seems strange in that regard.

Last edited:

rollyfoster

Supporting Member
And WRT the fiction of the Boost knob, I agree that rotating it to the left functions as a mids cut/EQ. I guess my point is that that’s not how most “Gain” knobs work. They start at fill CCW for “no extra gain” and go up from there. This behaves like an EQ. To describe its 12 position as “unity gain” seems strange in that regard.
what’s adding the noise? Your initial post said it’s coming from the range knob but this says boost.

If you’re adding gain via the compressor, gain via the clean boost, and gain via the range knob there’s gonna be some noise just like if you stacked 3 separate pedals. Can you record it?

Grendel2000

Sorry. Noise is from the Range knob not the boost.
It may be absolutely normal for the conditions you describe.

jkr

Silver Supporting Member
I love this pedal. It's kind of my secret "cheat machine" since it makes almost everything sound more polished (and makes me sound like I'm playing cleaner. I love FET/1176 style compression).

Considering the Range knob is an eq knob of a sorts (your boosting or cutting mids) it's much quieter than my analogman modded (to make it quieter) Boss GE-7 Eq pedal and any other eq pedal I've owned. You boost most frequencies in almost any pedal, you're most likely going to add noise. Add a compressor to the equation, and the situation gets magnified. I find the Unit67 surprisingly quiet with all that's going on with it. As mentioned by some of the posters above, keep experimenting. If you don't want any noise added to your sound, you probably should only boost frequencies very sparingly and certainly don't do it with compression. That aside, I don't think you're going to find an eq and compression combination much quieter than the Unit67.

Grendel2000

I love this pedal. It's kind of my secret "cheat machine" since it makes almost everything sound more polished (and makes me sound like I'm playing cleaner. I love FET/1176 style compression).

Considering the Range knob is an eq knob of a sorts (your boosting or cutting mids) it's much quieter than my analogman modded (to make it quieter) Boss GE-7 Eq pedal and any other eq pedal I've owned. You boost most frequencies in almost any pedal, you're most likely going to add noise. Add a compressor to the equation, and the situation gets magnified. I find the Unit67 surprisingly quiet with all that's going on with it. As mentioned by some of the posters above, keep experimenting. If you don't want any noise added to your sound, you probably should only boost frequencies very sparingly and certainly don't do it with compression. That aside, I don't think you're going to find an eq and compression combination much quieter than the Unit67.
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I’ve never used a compressor, let alone a combo pedal like this so I really have no idea what to expect as “normal”.

This helps!

Grendel2000

The more I play the Unit67 the more I like it.

I bought a Sun Face as much to give me the "glassy cleans" as I did for the Fuzz. Playing through the Unit67 with a bit of compression, a little added treble and a touch of the "Range" knob and I feel like I'n VERY VERY close to those beautiful clean tones but with less noise. It just gives you that almost dry and almost raspy clean tone that articulates EVERYTHING.

I've barely even begun looking at what it does to my dirt pedals...

Eye opening!

Last edited:

zvonch

And WRT the function of the Range knob, I agree that rotating it to the left functions as a mids cut/EQ. I guess my point is that that’s not how most “Gain” knobs work. They start at full CCW for “no extra gain” and go up from there. This behaves more like an EQ. To describe its 12 o’clock position as “unity gain” seems strange in that regard.
The term „unity gain“ in that context means that the Range control has no gain (no boost or no cut) of any frequencies at noon position. When you rotate the Range's knob to the left, you'll get a „negative gain“ of the Range's specific middle freqs (-13,1dB on fully CCW), at noon you'll get unity gain (Gain = 1 = unity or 0dB, no boost, no cut) and by rotating it to the right, you will get a „positive gain“ of those mid freqs (+13,1dB at fully CW).

Sorry. Noise is from the Range knob not the boost.
It may be absolutely normal for the conditions you describe.
While boosting some frequencies, you'll also boost the noise floor around those frequencies. That's perfectly normal and inevitable. Also, you'll boost the noise that is eventually added from other pedals connected in front of the Unit67. So, if you turn the Range knob fully CW (+13.1dB) you will boost the Range's noise floor and other noises for the similar amount of decibels. As @rollyfoster mentioned, in the Unit67 you have four different pedals: Compressor->EQ->Range->Boost. So, if you turn all those settings to the max, you will hear the noise and that is quite normal. Generally, the Unit67 is a very quiet pedal in comparison to similar setups with separated pedals. It's designed to be as low noise as possible.

Grendel2000

The term „unity gain“ in that context means that the Range control has no gain (no boost or no cut) of any frequencies at noon position. When you rotate the Range's knob to the left, you'll get a „negative gain“ of the Range's specific middle freqs (-13,1dB on fully CCW), at noon you'll get unity gain (Gain = 1 = unity or 0dB, no boost, no cut) and by rotating it to the right, you will get a „positive gain“ of those mid freqs (+13,1dB at fully CW).

While boosting some frequencies, you'll also boost the noise floor around those frequencies. That's perfectly normal and inevitable. Also, you'll boost the noise that is eventually added from other pedals connected in front of the Unit67. So, if you turn the Range knob fully CW (+13.1dB) you will boost the Range's noise floor and other noises for the similar amount of decibels. As @rollyfoster mentioned, in the Unit67 you have four different pedals: Compressor->EQ->Range->Boost. So, if you turn all those settings to the max, you will hear the noise and that is quite normal. Generally, the Unit67 is a very quiet pedal in comparison to similar setups with separated pedals. It's designed to be as low noise as possible.
Thanks for the clarification!

I'm still not sure I understand the difference in "gain" as you have described it, from "EQ". In the end in't it all just boosting or cutting certain frequencies regardless of how it's labelled?

In the end it really doesn't matter - LOVE the pedal and LOVE what it's done for my setup/tone! I actually am really enjoying playing from the guitar through the Unit67 without any other drive pedals. Haven't leaned that way in a while!

zvonch

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm still not sure I understand the difference in "gain" as you have described it, from "EQ". In the end in't it all just boosting or cutting certain frequencies regardless of how it's labelled?

In the end it really doesn't matter - LOVE the pedal and LOVE what it's done for my setup/tone! I actually am really enjoying playing from the guitar through the Unit67 without any other drive pedals. Haven't leaned that way in a while!
I'm glad that you're enjoying the pedal! :)

I'll try to explain it further. The term "gain" isn't directly associated with an overdriven or distorted tone (maybe that's why it's confusing to you). "Gain" is a term commonly used for multiple things. Each EQ stage has its own "gain" depending on the potentiometer's position. This means that it amplifies or decreases certain frequencies by a certain amount of gain (in decibels). That's why the term "unity gain" is used in our manual when Range knob is at the noon position - no boost, no cut.

GeetarTK

I just got this pedal...and not using like any of the review vids i’ve seen on YT. I’m using it as a “mastering” thing at the end of my board, before my collider stereo delay/verb. I don’t like noticeable compression, as it makes playing the guitar feel way less satisfying. I have a bogner harlow at the beginning to shape the tone and very slight comp, into a few drives, fuzz, chase bliss mood, then the unit67. boost at noon, range at 9:00, bass at 10, treble at 3, sustain at 10. low comp setting. might sound like a weird eq curve but it just works with my setup. i don’t like a ton of mids, so this is very flexible. really feels like sending my guitar through an ssl channel strip. love it

Hugh Manitee

...in the Unit67 you have four different pedals: Compressor->EQ->Range->Boost...
@zvonch, I count five pedals, including the buffer :)

Would it be technically possible to configure the compressor circuit to be active when pedal is bypassed? Many have found the Unit67 to be a great "always on" effect, I think in large part for the compressor. For myself, EQ settings in this tone-enhancing role tend to be fairly neutral, if not bypassed completely. It would be great to be able to set the compressor to be always on, with EQ/boost activation being separate (via foot switch).

jwny72

Man, this seems sweet. I'm torn between it and the Strymon Compadre. I'm slightly leaning towards the Compadre for midi presets and the ability to engage the compressor and boost functions separately. OTOH, the Drybell unit sounds great in demos.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare both pedals?

Trending Topics