DryBell Unit67 has arrived!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rkharper, Sep 19, 2018.

1. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Burgs makes me want to buy most everything he demo's , as usual!

If it sounds great when Gearmandude demo's it, then I know it's worth getting!

(In case that sounds harsh, just to know, I love them both equally, always have, but Burgs and GMD just have different approaches to video production, IMO)

2. blues bird

blues bird Supporting Member

LOL. You mean like one tries to give his demos structure and meaning while the other just fires away?

3. moore_for_less

moore_for_less Supporting Member

Home, home again… I like to be here when I can…
    AKA: If GMD can make it sound good, it must literally not have a bad sound in it. :p:anon:stir

MadFrank likes this.
  4. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I could see why it might not be interesting if you think of it as a compressor, eq and boost pedal, and you already have those. However, a boost that lets you dial in the EQ and add sustain could be very useful for many things. I could see having a nice dirty rhythm tone going and then kicking this in for a solo boost with some added mids and sustain. Or, using it to make clean single note lines pop. There are many times I wouldn't want to step on three pedals to get that effect.

the-tone, zvonch and Ramhead like this.
  5. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Super cool, specially on Mike's demo!

Befuddled likes this.
  6. moidan

moidan Member

Sounds absolutely gorgeous!

7. gtrguru

gtrguru Member

I like the concept, but would be better suited to my needs if the compressor was separate from the boost.

jeffinaustin likes this.
  8. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Agreed. I don't see this as a replacement for individual Comp, EQ and boost pedals but more of an interesting mixture of all those elements. Almost like the finished product of those tools in a studio mix but inside a pedal.

thomas4th, Echoplexi, zvonch and 2 others like this.
  9. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

This pedal will definitely not replace three pedals on your board but it seems like you can dial in a really great clean tone with any rig

zvonch, Ramhead and hippieboy like this.
  10. dantahoua

dantahoua Supporting Member

Always depend on what use you need those sounds! Seems this pedal would gladly replace my Cali76 and Klon, as I always use them together to clean boost, add little of treble and sustain... It would save me room and money (as the Cali has a good resale value!)

11. ghostrider

ghostrider Silver Supporting Member

I love my Vibe Machine but I’m not really a compressor guy so this probably isn’t for me.

But I will say that Drybell always has the COOLEST demos! :cool:

ericb, zvonch, rkharper and 1 other person like this.
  12. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Member

Ordered it for my birthday.... Dry Bell is a quality company, may be good for my cleans with a bit of reverb.

zvonch, Echoplexi, Ramhead and 2 others like this.
  13. Befuddled

Befuddled Supporting Member

This article they provided about the design choices of the pedal was a fun read. Some interesting stuff in there for sure.

I don't know if you could really compare this boost/eq/compressor to the cali76's apparent reproduction of the "topology" of the 1176 circuit, but I think this Unit67 seems really cool.

Boost with a rangemaster style midrange control is killer even without eq and parallel compression. I liked this snippet I read in their reviews section from friends of Drybell:

"Take your favorite compressor, turn up the volume on your favorite boost pedal, add an EQ pedal to cut/add bass or treble and add a good variant of the Rangemaster to the mix. Now imagine there are no cables between all those pedals, no hiss, no need to power each one separately and you probably have some idea of the sound."
    -
    BORNA ĆUBELA,
    Zagreb, Croatia, guitar player

^ this is also exactly how I use my Skreddy HFD

Edit: Ok I bought one too, if only for the little pick pouch things they are including with direct orders for the first run. :) Here's to my most expensive boost!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  14. bucketsofcake

bucketsofcake Member

Like others have said, this is pretty underwhelming. I was really hoping for something wacky and weird. Yet it's often the "boring" pedals that end up augmenting your sound for the better. If anything, it will be phenomenally built. The Vibe Machine is arguably one of the greatest pedal engineering feats of all time.

CarlGuitarist likes this.
  15. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I wanted to be underwhelmed at first but actually I think it's pretty cool. I don't run dirt pedals or anything so it could come in pretty handy in my rig as far as pushing the front end in different ways. I could definitely see it replacing my secret preamp, which I do find to be pretty underwhelming as far as my needs are concerned.

indeedido, zvonch and Ramhead like this.
  16. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

I must admit, there have been a few great and GAS-inducing pedals this year, but this is so far the pedal I've been most interested in all year. I can't wait to get this!

zvonch and Ramhead like this.
  17. GearHub

GearHub Member

How would this compare to a jackson audio prism or even the bloom? Really looking to get a good boost/ tone enhancer pedal.

18. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

Sounds like Larry Carlton playing on a Steely Dan session. Doing that without an ES-335 is no mean feat.

AceBSpankin and rollyfoster like this.
  19. rollyfoster

**** it I took the plunge. Vibe machine needs a buddy.

Ramhead and Echoplexi like this.
  20. rollyfoster

I had the same thought. It seems like it will be great for greasing up a dirty amp at reasonable levels.

indeedido likes this.