DryBell Unit67 has arrived!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rkharper, Sep 19, 2018.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I’m glad I already ordered one. The @sinasl1 demo would have induced serious GAS and I feel like I popped a Beano before pizza night.

cam0122 likes this.
  2. cam0122

cam0122 Member

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    A warm welcome for Mr. Pete Thorn.

Kidrock1986, Steven, zvonch and 2 others like this.
  3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

It seemed to make everything I threw at it better!

cam0122, zvonch and zenmindbeginner like this.
  4. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Great demo as usual, Pete. Both your clean and dirty tones sound great.

I gotta admit this thing is intriguing. I basically use a compressor for clean chicken pickin' and funky stuff, and a separate OD box for a lead boost through a dirty amp. I may be able to kill two birds with one stone with this one. My compressor is a Ross clone, with the compression set pretty low (I'm not a fan of heavily squashed tones).

cam0122, Ramhead and zvonch like this.
  5. shawnerie

shawnerie Member

Wonder how this would compare to the Origin Effects cali76 Compact Deluxe, which seems to be its closest competitor as both are based on the 1176 right. Anyone?

Proteus likes this.
  6. Proteus

Proteus Member

I’m wondering the same.

Jaketone likes this.
  7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

It certainly doesn't have as many controls as the Cali 76- I'm not sure if comp users of the Cali 76 will miss that? Like having adjustable attack, release etc. This pedal has a killer effect on your tone though it is just really addictive to play. Almost counterintuitively, put it in front of some dirt and marvelous things happen.

Twrogstudio, Kreso, louisnd and 6 others like this.
  8. Frank67

Frank67 Member

Awesome demo Pete! The sounds you got were stellar.
    Very cool pedal!

cam0122 and zvonch like this.
  9. shawnerie

shawnerie Member

Thanks very much Pete! Love your demos and the q&a. Yeah it sounds pretty good!

cam0122 and AceBSpankin like this.
  10. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

The only thing I don´t like about this monster of a pedal is that it´s not available through any retailers.

11. Kidrock1986

Kidrock1986 Member

Maybe Prymaxe will have it soon.

cam0122 likes this.
  12. cam0122

cam0122 Member

Pete! Pete! Pete! Pete....!!!!
    Love you man.
    Thanks for your new vid. As soon as I found I, posted it here, knowing what a positive impact it would have.

By the way, how did the Unit67 sound after dirt.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Pete Thorn.

13. cam0122

cam0122 Member

I asked Prymaxe this last night. I will let you know when I hear back.

14. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

I'm sure Prymaxe would love about a hundred PRE-ORDERS....

lakersrock likes this.
  15. Jaketone

Jaketone Member

Its best to order direct from drybell - thats how I got my vibe machine.. they have some good deals on postage to the USA... no good for me in Australia but for you guys its great!

AceBSpankin and Ramhead like this.
  16. Befuddled

Befuddled Supporting Member

So I was a little worried about this because the price is steep and I'm not a huge compressor guy/boost/tone enhancer guy.
    This thing is really really really sweet. My only compressor experience has been an xotic sp that was only really used on bass. Was not a fan of compression at all until this thing. It makes a clean tone pop like nothing else I have used personally. Fingerstyle playing is made way more fun.
    My wish is for the eq section to be switchable by an aux footswitch so you can have a flat boost for rhythm and then the mid pushed lead eq channel. Wowow
    Edit: Lots of fun on bass too. Really smooth attack even at high settings. I am impressed.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    zvonch and Ramhead like this.
  17. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

Burgs, I love your demos! I don’t care what you’re demoing, even if it’s a can of tuna, I’ll watch it almost immediately. Keep up the good work and amazing playing!

NicDo likes this.
  18. barnes

barnes Member

Makes me wonder if it could kick my Durham Sex Drive off my board. Functionally serving as a boost to cut thru the mix, while adding some compression....fun!

That being said; the demos of just making **** “better” makes me wonder if it’s better served to that duty instead of a boost.

19. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I noticed that in Pete’s video he had it boosted some but it didn’t seem like he realized it at times from the way he presented it. The lightning bolt is unity but he was above it a lot of the time, even when cutting the EQ to show compression, etc.

My impression is that it makes **** sound better at unity, it boosts, and it cuts, which hasn’t really been shown yet. I bet you could crank something like an overdrive or fuzz before it, drop the boost below unity to lower the volume to something reasonable (like a volume pedal would), and then “master” it with compression and EQ. Get that zendrive one whatever blazing in the bedroom.

20. the-tone

the-tone Member

And BINGO! Yes, you get it! I couldn't agree more. That is EXACTLY what it'
    s about. I Also have a Cali76, but I'll let that do other stuff. This for me if for pushing other dirt pedals, or adding some much needed sparkle and punch to weaker pickups into a clean high headroom amp. I think DryBell got it absolutely right.