DryBell Unit67 has arrived!

sinasl1

Great demo Pete! And KILLER solo you pull off there! Do you think this would work into an 18watt 6L6 tweed deluxe which already compresses a bit? Looking to open up my clean sound’s top end.. I’m also very nitpicky about dynamics, and even though I know this is a compressor, I hate pedals that sound like a pedal if you know what I mean.
It seemed to make everything I threw at it better!

Marc Roy

It's quite incredible- I LOVE it really.

Great demo as usual, Pete. Both your clean and dirty tones sound great.

I gotta admit this thing is intriguing. I basically use a compressor for clean chicken pickin' and funky stuff, and a separate OD box for a lead boost through a dirty amp. I may be able to kill two birds with one stone with this one. My compressor is a Ross clone, with the compression set pretty low (I'm not a fan of heavily squashed tones).

shawnerie

Wonder how this would compare to the Origin Effects cali76 Compact Deluxe, which seems to be its closest competitor as both are based on the 1176 right. Anyone?

sinasl1

It certainly doesn't have as many controls as the Cali 76- I'm not sure if comp users of the Cali 76 will miss that? Like having adjustable attack, release etc. This pedal has a killer effect on your tone though it is just really addictive to play. Almost counterintuitively, put it in front of some dirt and marvelous things happen.

shawnerie

It certainly doesn't have as many controls as the Cali 76- I'm not sure if comp users of the Cali 76 will miss that? Like having adjustable attack, release etc. This pedal has a killer effect on your tone though it is just really addictive to play. Almost counterintuitively, put it in front of some dirt and marvelous things happen.
Thanks very much Pete! Love your demos and the q&a. Yeah it sounds pretty good!

Johnny Fuzz

The only thing I don´t like about this monster of a pedal is that it´s not available through any retailers.

cam0122

Pete! Pete! Pete! Pete....!!!!
Love you man.
Thanks for your new vid. As soon as I found I, posted it here, knowing what a positive impact it would have.

By the way, how did the Unit67 sound after dirt.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Pete Thorn.

Jaketone

Its best to order direct from drybell - thats how I got my vibe machine.. they have some good deals on postage to the USA... no good for me in Australia but for you guys its great!

Befuddled

So I was a little worried about this because the price is steep and I'm not a huge compressor guy/boost/tone enhancer guy.
This thing is really really really sweet. My only compressor experience has been an xotic sp that was only really used on bass. Was not a fan of compression at all until this thing. It makes a clean tone pop like nothing else I have used personally. Fingerstyle playing is made way more fun.
My wish is for the eq section to be switchable by an aux footswitch so you can have a flat boost for rhythm and then the mid pushed lead eq channel. Wowow
Edit: Lots of fun on bass too. Really smooth attack even at high settings. I am impressed.

Last edited:

SmartAlex

It's a pretty great pedal, I have to say. DryBell sent me one to demo and I was suitably impressed. Fine 1176-style compressor, great Rangemaster boost, cleans, 2-band EQ... I reckon a lot of people who dig great compressors and treble boosters will love this one. Here's my take on it. Have a good one!

Burgs, I love your demos! I don’t care what you’re demoing, even if it’s a can of tuna, I’ll watch it almost immediately. Keep up the good work and amazing playing!

barnes

Makes me wonder if it could kick my Durham Sex Drive off my board. Functionally serving as a boost to cut thru the mix, while adding some compression....fun!

That being said; the demos of just making **** “better” makes me wonder if it’s better served to that duty instead of a boost.

rollyfoster

Supporting Member
Makes me wonder if it could kick my Durham Sex Drive off my board. Functionally serving as a boost to cut thru the mix, while adding some compression....fun!

That being said; the demos of just making **** “better” makes me wonder if it’s better served to that duty instead of a boost.
I noticed that in Pete’s video he had it boosted some but it didn’t seem like he realized it at times from the way he presented it. The lightning bolt is unity but he was above it a lot of the time, even when cutting the EQ to show compression, etc.

My impression is that it makes **** sound better at unity, it boosts, and it cuts, which hasn’t really been shown yet. I bet you could crank something like an overdrive or fuzz before it, drop the boost below unity to lower the volume to something reasonable (like a volume pedal would), and then “master” it with compression and EQ. Get that zendrive one whatever blazing in the bedroom.

the-tone

I could see why it might not be interesting if you think of it as a compressor, eq and boost pedal, and you already have those. However, a boost that lets you dial in the EQ and add sustain could be very useful for many things. I could see having a nice dirty rhythm tone going and then kicking this in for a solo boost with some added mids and sustain. Or, using it to make clean single note lines pop. There are many times I wouldn't want to step on three pedals to get that effect.
And BINGO! Yes, you get it! I couldn't agree more. That is EXACTLY what it'
s about. I Also have a Cali76, but I'll let that do other stuff. This for me if for pushing other dirt pedals, or adding some much needed sparkle and punch to weaker pickups into a clean high headroom amp. I think DryBell got it absolutely right.

Trending Topics