DryBell Unit67 has arrived!

GuitarNorton

Nice board! I've never been a fan of those solid connectors though. Puts to much stress on the inputs. Could just be me something to thick about though. Anyone else have bad, good experience with them?

rollyfoster

Supporting Member
Nice board! I've never been a fan of those solid connectors though. Puts to much stress on the inputs. Could just be me something to thick about though. Anyone else have bad, good experience with them?
Thanks! I haven’t had any issues. I normally use them with pedals of the same brand, though, to make sure they line up right.

I don’t tend to stomp my pedals very frequently so I’m not too concerned with durability or breaking something. If it were something I engage multiple times in a night or had a violent foot I’d maybe consider a normal patch cable.

Last edited:
I received my Unit 67. I haven’t even played it yet but there are some things I really appreciate: I ordered it on Sunday and received the pedal on Thursday (amazing since it came from Croatia), it has really cool packaging, and it included a cool pick case and a nice hand written note. First class presentation!

the-tone

Just an FYI, if those are Barefoots, I had to change to the low profile version as they were touching the surface of my Vibe Machine when pressed and causing surface wear.
That was the only pedal I have that the V1s would touch.

Nice board!
Ask Brett at Barefoot to send you some washers. That's what I use for that problem. Works GREAT! ...it's basically a tiny hard plastic washer that you put on the switch, then put the barefoot button on top and tighten everything. It's rock solid and moves the barefoot button up by about 2 mm. Just enough for proper clearance.

NicDo

Ask Brett at Barefoot to send you some washers. That's what I use for that problem. Works GREAT! ...it's basically a tiny hard plastic washer that you put on the switch, then put the barefoot button on top and tighten everything. It's rock solid and moves the barefoot button up by about 2 mm. Just enough for proper clearance.
Sweet, thanks for the tip.

ejecta

Supporting Member
It’s a really cool pedal. I think it’ll stick around on my board. I will say as far as compressors go I still really like my Cali 76 which will now go to my bigger board. I’m not a huge range master aficionado and don’t currently have that type of pedal so I can’t say how it compares.

Bottom line the pedal sounds good for being it’s own thing. I personally wouldn’t get it thinking it’s going to be better than a pedal dedicated to just being a range master or compressor.

KasperFauerby

Just received mine today and I think it's awesome!

It might be true that you can find a better dedicated compressor, or a better dedicated eq or treble booster... but for me there is a lot to be said for the simplicity in this one and how it combines all those different things you (almost) always need into just one pedal. I think it makes it easier to dial in a good synergy of all those effects, perhaps easier than if you had to dial in 4 different pedals that had to cooperate.

On more specific notes, I think the compressor has the right amount of squish to it and it seems really low noise compared to other compressors I've tried. It sounds very musical to my ears. The big boost knob is cool and the boost sounds nice and smooth to me.. with plenty of kick available. EQ section and range master is great as well... overall I'm just really happy with this one. It's ended the hunt for "utility" pedals for me. Perhaps I'll be tempted to pick up a full featured compressor at some point for clean tones... but, honestly, maybe not. I think I can dial in some KILLER punchy cleans with this guy, despite it being a one-knob compressor.

cbm

Silver Supporting Member
I considered picking up a Unit67, but at the end of the day I decided to stick to my VFE White Horse. The White Horse is heavier on the compression, and lighter on the EQ, but in the position I would use it, they are 40,000-foot-equivalents.

Befuddled

Well as an update I lost my pick pouch like an idiot already haha
But it really is the ultimate utility pedal. I have always played way more clean tones than any overdrive and this swings me even further into the clean camp.

You can take the boominess out of a blackface, give a single coil the girth and attack of a humbucker with the eq+compression, and just overall make things better (strat bridge people pay attention). I was a little worried having all these controls would have me constantly tweaking things but it's really not like that at all.

Also to those that might worry that the small mini pots make it hard to dial in sounds and be precise in adjustments, forget about it! The range of each eq control is wide but not so wide as to have large unusable sections at either extreme. I'm especially grateful that the high control don't only affect the the very top range sparkle like some high controls do, it seems to actually affect guitar centric frequencies. The range control in particular is fun to crank with boost of course.

It's a great pedal to boost overdrive/distortion pedals in a controllable way. Being able to contour the boost and add compression allows you to play to the boostee's (yes) strengths, not just clean boost all frequencies and hope that your OD pedal can work it out. Sure you could use a TS or klone for that, but this is more versatile.

Lolaviola

Supporting Member
Cool pedal , I definitely think it’s a winner.
Can anyone tell me does it run on batteries? What’s the current draw? Because it would be great for a grab and go board.

leighianson

Supporting Member
Ordered mine today and went for the 3 day worldwide shipping, now fingers crossed it goes through Aussie customs without being taxed

Gl4th

Got mine on Monday. What can I say...you don’t understand you need it until you try it.
It is a perfect compressor if you don’t need extreme settings, an extremely well designed EQ, an useful booster and a Rangemaster.

You can use all of that things alone (I mean, just compressor, just booster...) or a mix of them. And it excels in every use.

What I like is that you really can’t get an unusable setting. You can mess with knobs and your tone will change but never in an unpleasant way. (And this may be a CON, I expect users claiming they can’t get this or that tone, just because they’re used to have some kind of sh**** tone).

I have the Cali76CD too and I can’t say it has a better compression than the Unit67. Surely it is more tweakable, but not better in any way. Not sure if it will stay on my board now...

thomas4th

I've had some time with mine now and I really, really love it. It's exactly the pedal I hoped it would be - a sort of "engineer in a box" sorting out the EQ and compression to make the guitar sit just so. The Range control is the best voiced midrange EQ I've ever met and the parallel compression makes everything sing without compromising my attack. Brilliant.

KasperFauerby

As it happened I actually got myself a vibe machine yesterday, and while testing that out I was dialing in a clean-ish tone on my rig.. and naturally had my new unit 67 engaged.

I discovered that (at that particular moment at least) it actually gave me the best low-gain overdrive / edge of breakup tone I think I ever heard ;) It sounds just killer pushing a clean channel into overdrive with some light compression and a bit of range master. So it's definitely not just for clean tones!

Ramhead

Cool pedal , I definitely think it’s a winner.
Can anyone tell me does it run on batteries? What’s the current draw? Because it would be great for a grab and go board.
Thanks!

No there's no place for the battery inside. Nominal current draw (with the guitar) is approx. 87mA
You can find the rest of the specifications in here.

kenoflife

Supporting Member
This for me if for pushing other dirt pedals, or adding some much needed sparkle and punch to weaker pickups into a clean high headroom amp. I think DryBell got it absolutely right.
Considering this pedal, love the Vibe Machine. For my use into a relatively lower headroom amp (Benson Monarch) - wondering how it'd be w/ soloing I"m trying to hold onto every bit of clean I can out of P90s. I use the Diamond Comp (at 18V) for this, but it doesn't quite have the eq options that wou;d seem nice to dial out some of the mud/mids for soloing. Might this be more compressed and less transparent than the Diamond?, or better at being a swiss army knife eq and throwing in that rangemaster....

jeffinaustin

Supporting Member
Considering this pedal, love the Vibe Machine. For my use into a relatively lower headroom amp (Benson Monarch) - wondering how it'd be w/ soloing I"m trying to hold onto every bit of clean I can out of P90s. I use the Diamond Comp (at 18V) for this, but it doesn't quite have the eq options that wou;d seem nice to dial out some of the mud/mids for soloing. Might this be more compressed and less transparent than the Diamond?, or better at being a swiss army knife eq and throwing in that rangemaster....
I think you could dial it to do that easily. The eq is really flexible and the compressor can be very light or very sustain'y with the blend knob. Love mine.

Trending Topics