Drybell Vibe Machine vs. Castledine Supra Vibe - any direct comparison?

edgie

Hi guys,
Any of you who happen to have tried both side by side? Pros and cons?
I definitely prefer the Drybell(ordered last night) for the looks and size but I'm curious how the Castledine compares in terms of sound and performance.

I had a Mojo Vibe twice before and I noticed that there will be times that the vibe effect on it will be prominent sometimes and there will be times when it'll be subtle specially on the slow setting even with the volume knob maxed. If felt like it needs an output trimpot or something so I sold it. I haven't tried many high end vibes to know if they also tend to disappear in a band setting with another guitar player.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
I've got them both, the Castledine is superior in my opinion, deeper throb than the Drybell and I really like the Bypass signal option on the Castledine. That said, the Castledine is big, challenging to power with regular DC boxes whereas the Drybell is super compact and 94% of the tone in a very convenient package. If space isn't a priority and true vibe tone is, the Supra Vibe is my favorite of all vibes, but the Drybell is terrific for compact pedalboard use.

edgie

Thanks for the info. Not really going for super authentic vibe tone so I'm just glad that the Drybell is that close to the Castledine(which seems to be the vibe by which others are measured here in TGP nowadays). Most reviews I've seen of these two brands describe them as lush and have wider frequency sweep than the others.

FWIW, I also had a Wilson Haze Deluxe which I find to be not as lush as the Mojo Vibe(when it's on its "good mood"). I always place the vibe first before any dirt pedal and I'm pretty sure the ones I had don't have an output buffer that will make fuzzes after it thinner.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
I've got them both, the Castledine is superior in my opinion, deeper throb than the Drybell and I really like the Bypass signal option on the Castledine. That said, the Castledine is big, challenging to power with regular DC boxes whereas the Drybell is super compact and 94% of the tone in a very convenient package. If space isn't a priority and true vibe tone is, the Supra Vibe is my favorite of all vibes, but the Drybell is terrific for compact pedalboard use.
would love to get together before i sell my aquavibe.
my megavibe is my favorite, but i'd sure love to hear 'em all at the same time.

edgie

I got the Drybell the other day and it's one of the most satisfying pedal purchase I've ever done. Shipping was about 5 days to Singapore from Croatia thru FedEx.

I love how well-thought the features are laid out. I think this was designed with the regular gigging musician in mind as the features that don't need to be tweaked constantly are in the form of trimpots so they get accidentally bumped.

I know some people may balk at the price but I think it's more expensive to keep on trying to find the vibe sound AND feel in pedals with the same size and cheaper than this. And considering the labor involved and the size of the company, I think it's priced fairly.

For me, this has the vibe sound that I've been looking for: the right ratio for throb, swoosh, and there's no volume drop like the vibes I had before. It shipped at unity volume and it melds well with the fundamental tone that it's so addicting to play. I believe that this is a great step forward in the world of vibes-- Easy to power, pedalboard-friendly and of course, such a lush sound in a small MXR-size pedal. Great work Zvonch and the rest of the Drybell crew!

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
Just snagged my second Drybell today on Ebay! Absolutely love the one i got now so i bought another. Now ill have to go after the Castledine. I just picked up a Effectrode Vibe but dont like it as much as the Drybell. Ill probably be selling it soon.

yellowbaloon

Bumping this thread for more personal experiences.

I had the Drybell V2 for a short time and returned it for the Supra Vibe, but I am finding I want less weight in the bass-end throb and more wateriness, especially when used with some drive. I seem to recall the Drybell being more balanced and not focused enough on the bass-end which is what I THOUGHT I needed!

Not really concerned with it being 100% authentic, just want it to be more in the low-mids as opposed to the wider frequency range of the Supra.

Looking for experienced users of the V2; Is this the Drybell's strong point?

Thanks all!

Dave_C

I got the Drybell the other day and it's one of the most satisfying pedal purchase I've ever done. Shipping was about 5 days to Singapore from Croatia thru FedEx.

I love how well-thought the features are laid out. I think this was designed with the regular gigging musician in mind as the features that don't need to be tweaked constantly are in the form of trimpots so they get accidentally bumped.

I know some people may balk at the price but I think it's more expensive to keep on trying to find the vibe sound AND feel in pedals with the same size and cheaper than this. And considering the labor involved and the size of the company, I think it's priced fairly.

For me, this has the vibe sound that I've been looking for: the right ratio for throb, swoosh, and there's no volume drop like the vibes I had before. It shipped at unity volume and it melds well with the fundamental tone that it's so addicting to play. I believe that this is a great step forward in the world of vibes-- Easy to power, pedalboard-friendly and of course, such a lush sound in a small MXR-size pedal. Great work Zvonch and the rest of the Drybell crew!
My thoughts exactly. The DryBell Vibe Machine V2 is one of the best gear purchases I've made since picking up the guitar in 1971. Best vibe pedal I've ever plugged into. I grew up with Hendrix and Trower and those sounds are some of the holy grail tones I've chased ever since.

The Vibe Machine slaughtered my 90s gold Deja Vibe and finally gave me the tones I grew up with and so much more. You can dial in more throb and depth than is even practical to use in most band situations....which means, of course, that you can get exactly what you want. The range in every parameter and every direction is available. I was able to get BOG Machine Gun and Bridge of Sighs exactly and then dial in anything else I wanted. The tap tempo feature with the external DryBell foot switch was icing on the cake and made it even easier to dial what I want for each tune.

Trending Topics