Drybell Vibe or Déjà Vibe?

Otto Guyon

Thanks for the feedback folks. Seems to be a pretty balanced response for both, plus a couple of more options. I’m going to see if I can pick up a Déjà Vibe second hand as there seems to be a lot more of those about and give it a try before I drop the cash on a DryBell.

Cheers, Otto.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I must have gotten a bad copy of the Drybell - really didn’t bond with it, and (I know, different animal) got a thicker tone out of my little Phase 95. Maybe I’m not a vibe guy.

Otto Guyon

Ok, I just picked up a Mini Déjà Vibe off Reverb.
Question: Will I still find a need for my Analog Man Mini Chorus?

Cheers, Otto.

Last edited:

dirtytony

DryBell is a very versatile device with very good sound (Im partial to V1 as Ive found V2 more "pulsating" than full univibe style) but the Fulltone is way closer to an original compared to the drybell.

zztomato

I had a Drybell v2. Good pedal but found it to lack a deeper personality. As someone else mentioned, kind of sounded like a great recording of a univibe.

I've had many Fulltone vibes and prefer the big grey Deja 2 with the built in footpedal. I don't understand why anyone would want a vibe without foot control for speed.
I think I've had five or six of the deja 2 vibes. They were all a bit different with most being great and one being very dull. My favourite "wobble" is a Diamond Vibrato pedal these days but I'd get another big grey Deja 2 if I wanted another univibe clone.

Cheers, Otto.

I'd keep the Analogman Chorus as it's quite a different sound from the Uni-Vibe. Don't be mislead by the "chorus" mode on a Uni-Vibe. It's not actually a chorus.

I don't understand why anyone would want a vibe without foot control for speed.
I had an original Shin-Ei Uni-Vibe for a while and I found the speed control to be quite annoying to be honest.

zztomato

I had an original Shin-Ei Uni-Vibe for a while and I found the speed control to be quite annoying to be honest.
Why? It's a great way to add intensity or release in a musical passage. To me, it's the best thing about using any modulation pedal. The Fulltone's pedal can be used quite precisely- I could imagine the original unit's pedal could be less so.

Why? It's a great way to add intensity or release in a musical passage. To me, it's the best thing about using any modulation pedal. The Fulltone's pedal can be used quite precisely- I could imagine the original unit's pedal could be less so.
I quite honestly thought I would like it, but I found myself keeping the speed pedal in one position. There's always that one spot on the speed taper where any accurate Uni-Vibe clone develops the most intensive and asymmetrical throb. I love that and mostly just keep it at that point. I totally see your point though.

bluesoul

I could imagine the original unit's pedal could be less so.
Not at all....they are easy to use to do the same thing as you do with the DV-2. I think one reason a lot of folks (including me) find the speed pedal more hassle than help is that you quickly have to find your speed setting rather than having it dialed in and simply engage the unit. The Fulltone units like yours do however have a switch too....that is pretty cool! I have one of those DV-2 pedals (as well as ...oh just a few others:)) and have always liked that design. What do those things weigh in at? 200-300lbs;). Quite an enclosure!

louisnd

Cheers, Otto.

Congratulation. Even if I'm a owner the Vibe Machine v2, the one you picked is still a solid Choice.
I would also keep your Chorus - they are very different effect.
Enjoy!

The Drybell doesn’t have volume control, I’m guessing it’s set at unity gain.
Yes it does, if you’re looking at the V2. The volume control can boost, cut, or act at unity.

Here’s the thing with Vibes, they all sound different. You may prefer one over the other. But the Drybell has such an insane degree of adjustability, and such an insane amount of features and functions, it’s nearly impossible to not be satisfied by it. You’re only limited by your desire to tweak it if it doesn’t knock your socks off out of the box (but usually it will).

It sounds like you didn’t go on their website and read the instruction manual. I’d highly recommend doing that.

You may get something else you like as much, or better out of the box. But the DryBell can grow with you. The input and output impedance are adjustable for god’s sake. That’s great because of how finicky univibes are with what they’re connected to. I gurantee many people who give a vibe a bad review don’t have it directly connected to the guitar, or being fed the intended input impedance.

You can make it mimic any vibe you've heard. You just have to understand how it works. It’s a complex pedal. I got mine because my other guitar player bought it and didn’t like it. He sold it to me, and regrets it. He didn’t have it set up right. Now he knows, and he’s buying a 2nd one.

The Drybell is a great pedal, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

GaryMcT

Platinum Supporting Member
I like deja over drybell so far. I have a feeling if I opened up the drybell and turned the volume up a bit they’d sound more alike. The drybell doesn’t push the amp like the deja in my case.

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned multiple Deja Vibes over the years.

I currently have both a Deja Vibe and a Dry Bell. They’re both great.

The Dry Bell wins in the flexibility and compact size categories.

But my current Fulltone Deja Vibe just plain sounds right. No tweaking, no bells and whistles. It’s just THAT sound.

I’ve found the Deja Vibes can be a little inconsistent from one to the next but when you find one that’s just right it’s hard to beat.

Otto Guyon

Gday Folks,
Well its here, and its really cool. Instant Hendrixy vibe with the Dover driver.
I still own both and use them very differently.
There’s barely any overlap between the two, except faux-Leslie sound.
Yep I agree with that, theres definitely enough difference in them to warrant having both on the board. Time for a bigger board too. ;)

Trending Topics