DS-1 Clean Mod

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtwang, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jtwang

jtwang Member

I don't care much for the stock DS-1 so I figured I'd mod it. I stumbled upon The DS-1 Clean Mod

I like the tone (nice playing too). Are there any similar dedirtyfying DS-1 mods out there?

2. WarofGhosts

WarofGhosts Member

Probably just removed the clipping diodes. Look how low the volume is set. Thats because removing those diodes would increase the stock volume greatly.

3. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

If you remove D4 and D5 the pedal will be pretty clean - what other circuit modifications that may have been done to the YouTube pedal is impossible to say. Sounded pretty bluesy.

4. jtwang

jtwang Member

Yeah, removing d4 and d5 is probably how it's done. I googled for info on this mod and lifting those diodes is mentioned on several places. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

5. jtwang

jtwang Member

Update for anyone interested:

I couldn't be happier with this mod. It sounds just like in the youtube clip; a very bluesy, sort of broken overdrive tone that is extremely transparent. And the ouput volume increased A LOT. Just about no breakup at all when gain knob is fully rolled back. To be honest, I don't understand why this super easy mod hasn't got any attention compared to the other DS1-mods.

I did lift the C12 too (as suggested on a few places). That made the pedal very trebly sounding, something I didn't need, so I put it back. I could see that on some rigs it could be of use though.