DS-1 mods ... Keely and AnalogMan

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SteveR, Nov 27, 2005.

1. SteveR

SteveR Member

Has anyone tried each of these pedals? What are some of the differences and/or similarities?

I'm sure each mod does great things to the pedal, but I'm guessing each takes the pedal in its own direction. Just not sure what each of those directions may be???

Steve

2. r77811

r77811 Guest

I have owned both the keeley and the analogman ds-1 as well as a whizzer mod. All of them are very nice pedals but they are different. The Analogman was (as most of mike's pedals are) very smooth. Keeley's tends to be more upfront and edgy - louder as well.

3. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Only own the Analogman version, and smooth is a reasonably good description. Works well with humbucker guitars and/or the Carmen Ghia/Marshall Studio 15.

Larry

4. SteveR

SteveR Member

OK, researching this a little more has turned up another name that seems interesting as well .... www.monteallums.com

Clips being what they are, this one sounds pretty good to me http://www.monteallums.com/DS1_Song.mp3 This was done with a Strat into a Fender Blues Junior.

Would you say this clip is 'smoother' like the AnalogMan, or 'edgyer' like the Keely?

Thanks,
    Steve

5. r77811

r77811 Guest

Definatly sounds closer to the Keeley. Sounds a little dry. Not that it is bad. I just don't know the name. Also another question to ask is which mod is that one. They list several DS-1 mods on thier page (Several Hi-Fi Mods--Tube Tone Mod--Smoother Gain Mod- -Clarity Mods--Germanium Diode Mod--More Bass & Mids Mods). Another mod company to check out would be IndyGuitarist.com . I have a couple indy pedals on my board (MT2 mesa/marshall mod and SD1 fulltone fulldrive mod). I actually replaced my keeley DS-1 with the Indy MT2. I am not a big fan of distortion. I prefer OD but that MT2 is a smokin pedal. Gives a marshally tone to fender players like my self (much like keeleys ultra mod).

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on indyguitarist's mods. Check out his DS-1 tube emulator mod or his vintage mod in the soundclips section. I asked him to post a bigger tube emulator soundclip, but it sounds freakin sweet and I'm getting that mod for my DS-1

7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey SteveR,

I have this:
    [​IMG]

This is an '84 Japan DS-1 with an Analogman Super mod. It has its original chip still inside it as compared to the Pro mod. This is a cool sounding pedal. The tone control range is much better, the pedal is quieter now and has slightly more output. It still has that distortion that I like about it.

Guitar George

8. SteveR

SteveR Member

Hey George,

Your pedal and mine are probably of the same vintage. I know I got it in the early 80's, so it would likely get the same Super Mod if I send it off to AnalogMan.

If you get a chance, can you comment on the similarities or differences between your pedal and the clip above from Monte. Not looking for a 'better' or 'worse', just are the tones close or in different ball parks?

Thanks,
    Steve

9. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey SteveR,

I heard the sound clip for Monte Allum's DS-1 mod. It sounds good and doesn't sound as thin or harsh as the stock DS-1 sounds. Trying to judge a pedal mod from a computer speaker is not accurate for me. I would have to try my Analogman DS-1 Super mod and the Monte Allum's modded DS-1 through a Fender Pro Junior to really tell the difference.

Guitar George

10. jpagey

jpagey Member

Agreed (I have both pedals), except the Keeley DS-1 Ultra in the "ultra" position is pretty fat sounding, smoother and less edgy than the stock modded sound. A very cool pedal with really nice Marshall tones.

11. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

I had the Keeley Modded DS-1. Great pedal. But I did return it today because it was redundant for my amp setup. Like one other poster said it's less harsh than stock. the SEM (Seeing Eye Mod) Switch up is a little thinner than the Switch Down Ultra "Fatter" tone. To me playing my humbucker bridge strat into a Semi Clean Tube amp sounded too "fizzy" to my ears with the distortion setting about 2-3 O Clock. I'm not anti-distortion at all, I'm just very finicky about what kind of distortion I like. Dumble (More of a smooth warm overdrive), Bogner Shiva, Mesa's, along those lines.

If I want the heavy tube crunch without the fizz I'll kick in Channel 2 on my amp, for even more crunch or distortions try an EQ before your amp - you would be surprised how you can shape your tone.

12. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I have a keeley ds-1 (newer one with the toggle) and I just modded a stock ds-1 with the monty allums mod. Couple things. The keeley modded ds-1 is much louder. The ma pedal has more gain on tap and the distortion is more focused. The keeley ds-1 has a bit of fizz that doesn't mix in with the distortion. The ma modded pedal seems to have the same fizz, but it's well integrated with the over drive sound. That may sound odd, but it's the best I can describe it :)

THat said, the pedals do cover very similar territory. The ma pedal sounds better maxed gain at low volumes. Neither pedal will make your blues jr sounds like a screaming marshall stock at volume (I'm running my pedals through a blues jr too).

I at low volumes I like the ma medal better. At volume, I use both as a boost with extra dirt. Usually run the gain below 12:00 Also, the keeley pedal plays better with my other pedals (keeley blues driver and soon to be ma modded boss sd-1).

greg

13. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

I have keeley ds-1 with the toggle switch
    all the noise is gone from stock DS1
    & has hi gain & little bit to much hi end & edge tone
    It's useable tone
    I hear analogman is much more smooth but I don't have them

14. stebzilla

stebzilla Member

What did you think of the Whizzer mod compared to the Keeley and Analogman Mods?

Thanks,

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

do you guys know if either of them, keely or AM do mods to DS-2s???