DS-1 Surprise

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Moe45673, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey all. I bought a boss ds-1 cheap off ebay, just to have something to practise my modding on (indyguitarist rules \m/)

I plugged my guitar into the stock pedal, and got surprisingly good distortion tone. It was then I realized the tone knob was at about 8:00, and turning it up to an "average" setting introduces fingernails on a chalkboard type sound, but set so low it's actually quite useable.

I use a hot british regularly, so this is what I have to compare it to. Wild, eh? thought I'd share

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Satriani, Vai and Chris Duarte all use them and get great tones. Go figure...:D

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I know for a fact that Vai uses the keeley-modded DS-1. I assume satch and duarte use modded versions as well, as it's a great foundation pedal to do a mod on, but stock sounds horrible except with the tone knob turned low.

I'm just commenting on the stock version, and wondering if anyone has used it like this?

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

They have been using them for years, I don't think they were using modded ones way back then, maybe. This was before the boutique/modded craze.

5. Moat

Moat Member

I had an Egnater TOL100 for a while, and running a stock Japanese (silver screw) DS-1 into the Eggie's (somewhat sterile) clean channel pretty much nailed the Vai tone. At lower gain, into my Pearce G2r, it's actually quite "Robben Ford-ish".

They are bass heavy, IMO... and the tone knob never goes past about 10 o'clock (otherwise, peircing treble). Thru the right amp tho, they can actually be pretty danged cool.

The old Japanese ones are smoother up top than the newer, Taiwan versions (different components, circuit layout), although they're still pretty similar overall.

6. Fernando

Fernando Member

Through my Twin Reverb Reissue my DS-1 is useless without an equalizer right after it. I can get decent tones with a boost on the mids. The tone knob doesn't get past nine o clock on mine, if it does, it sounds terrible.

Actually I don't like this pedal at all, I just keep looking for ways too make it sound less lousy to my ears.

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

Vai was using a DS-1 back when pedal modding was unheard of.

fwiw my stock Boss BD-2 sounds great with the tone at or below 9 o' clock.

8. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Vai was, not anymore. He is using complete stock now. Plus he is using a Tube Screamer too

9. captain_rusty

captain_rusty Member

I've been using the same DS1 for well over 20 years - I always have the tone control on zero, and like that it's a great pedal...

10. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I'm like Captain Rusty. I've had mine for over 20 years. My original stock settings was:

Tone: 10 o'clock
    Distortion: 5:00
    Level: unity gain

[​IMG]

I had Analogman do a Super mod to mine and I use it as a mild overdrive on my pedalboard now. Mike Piera gave the tone control a wider range, a little more output, a lot less white noise and it still has the same killer distortion that you either love or hate. 2 thumbs up for Analogman!!!

Guitar George

11. Lefty

Lefty Member

Still loving my AM DS-1, but I don't use it for leads. I use it for more high gain applications and set for unity.

Tone 9:00
    Vol 9:00
    Gain 3-4:00

It just kills!! It booted my Tone Bone Classic off my board. I really liked the TB but the size and wall wart didn't make it worth while.:dude

12. clapointe

clapointe Member

I've been using my old MIJ Boss DS-1 for my main overdrive pedal. I always dugged Chris Durate tone with the Boss DS-1 as his overdrive pedal.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hmmm, haven't tried it with an equalizer yet. I think I'll do that right now.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying all your thoughts on the matter. Keep it up!

14. Tore TC

Tore TC Member

As mentioned a couple of times: Vai doesn't use the Keeley-modded version anymore. And no matter what: As much as I like both Vai's playing and compositional skills, his tone still suck big time (as does Satriani's).

15. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Satch's DS-1 is stock. I asked his tech last time I saw him live.

Jeff

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

my monteallums mod just arrived today! I'm thinking of installing it, but my real goal is to get the tube emulator mod from indyguitarist.

http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/ds1-tubeemu.mp3

I have no soldering skills but have a friend who's an electronics genius (also is a musician). Once he gets some free time he'll help me out.

17. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Recently a AM DS-1 came my way and it sounds good with a humbucker guitar and a Marshall Studio 15. Using a Duncan custom ceramic bucker for what it's worth. My son was ripping when he played through that setup, so I got to hear it more objectively.

Larry