DS1 Mod Complications - Sounds like a dying Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rab1s, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Rab1s

Rab1s Member

So I used the Wampler JCM Mod to mod my DS1. Got the components and wired it up. The Diodes are in series, and Ive got everything soldered up right and the thing now sounds like a crappy fuzz pedal dying on me.

I know I broke a solder pad, but I have it soldered to another component on that track. So that should be fine. and I removed R39 and Jumpered it ( I read that it adds more volume to the pedal, it was just barely at unity at max before.) and other than that I haven't touched it. Right off the bat, you guys know of what it could be? Any advice would be appreciated.

I know its just a DS1, got it for a dollar, but Id like to try to mod the sucker to sound good.

2. Rydell

Rydell Member

Check the orientation of the clipping diodes. All stripes should be pointed in the direction of the two arrows on the board. Also if you used an electrolytic or tantalum cap for C2, make sure that it's oriented properly. Hope this helps.

3. olkie

olkie Member

That sounds like the transistor and/or op-amp isn't getting the right voltage (either the 9v or they are mis-biased). Is this along with a volume drop? What solder pad did you break and where did you reconnect it?

4. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

I believe R39 connects to the M5223AL opamp and sets the feedback voltage. Stock is 47K. I've never heard of jumpering it.
    Did you test the pedal after every change you made?
    This is critical when modifying. I still do it with most mods I perform to this day. It makes troubleshooting so much easier.
    Did you change any capacitors?