Dsl 50/Tsl 60 tonal differences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by diamonded, Jan 30, 2012.

1. diamonded

diamonded Member

I just bought a used dsl 50 head from GC that as it turns out is way too noisy. By way too noisy I mean on lead one with minimal gain and low volume it howls and hums with all of my guitars.
    I swapped preamp tubes and it does the same thing.
    I should have played it louder in the store, but I can return it.
    I have a chance to pick up a tsl 602 but want to check with you guys first.
    Most of what I gather in forums is that the dsl series sounds great the tsl not so much.
    I always assumed that the tsl used the same circuitry as the dsl just with a second set of eq controls.
    If that is the case shouldn't they sound very similiar. Don't get why there's no love for the tsl.

2. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

I played many gigs with a TSL. I think it does a great high gain, modern sound.

3. dogma1160

dogma1160 Member

I'm a big lover of the dsl 50's Ive owned 2 100's and trade them away. I'm trading my beloved 50 away this week for a mesa only because I have a 4500 as a back up. I just recently became aware that there are problems within the TSL series. I owned one ( '01 tsl60) that seemed fine.(I hope so I sold it to a friend two weeks ago. I saw an ad on CL from guy who had problems with his combo. I researched it Yikes! You need to go over it with the GC guys. My advise: see if you can get it corrected and beware of the TSL's.

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I love my TSL602. I believe it may have a little more gain than the DSL. And I think it may be a tad brighter. Which I like. And the clean channel comes in handy. My ears liked the TSL series better than the DSL. I rarely use the crunch channel. I'm on the lead channel 99% of the time. It's awesome.

5. B Money

B Money Member

I bought a DSL100 when they first came out in the mid 90s, and then I traded that in for a TSL100 when they came out. Honestly I don't remember hearing much of a difference between them, I like both and only got rid of the DSL because I wanted the third channel on the TSL (hey, more is better right?).

You should be able to dial them in to sound virtually identical. Both sound like Marshalls to me.

I owned my TSL for 8 years and the only problem I ever had with it was the footswitch jack on the PCB started to get loose. Had to resolder it on, and modify how I hung the footswitch cord so it didn't put pressure on the jack when connected. No big deal.

6. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

I gigged with the DSL50 a bunch of times. Even though it has two channels, I would almost consider it a 4 channel amp since it has two modes on each channel.

The thing the DSL50 does that the TSL can't do, is that the DSL can get you a really nice chunky, Hendrix/SRV blues tone. The guy from Los Lonely Boys uses his DSL for exactly this purpose. That mode on the DSL was what sealed the deal for me.

7. Miles

Miles Member

I spent some time with DSL and TSL amps.

My findings:

DSL - more meat and tighter sounding
    TSL - more fizz that is difficult to dial out.