DSL Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ShreddyKrueger, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ShreddyKrueger

ShreddyKrueger Member

So, I recently got myself a DSL1hr and a Victory vertical 2x12 with Celestion V 30s because, well, a friend of mine put me onto the whole new gear bug again after being happy with what I had for more or less a couple of years or so and, well, I guess I just figured 'why not'.

But then I came across the DSL20hr. And bought it. On the agreement that I can send whichever one I like the least back.
    Problem is that I like both, for different reasons.

I only play at home. It gets pretty loud for home playing, I guess, but nowhere near rehearsal loud.

Things I like about the 1w: instant Marshall Kerrang. Nice compression. Does a very good impersonation of some great 70s tones, while easily being pushed into 80s territory.

Things I like about the 20w: less compressed, little more depth.

However, I can't make each amp do what the other one does, no matter how much I fiddle with the settings.

Hate the clean channel on each amp. Way too bright and completely unusable for pedals for me. I prefer chewy Hendrix cleans, as a rule. But that's less of an issue right now, and I'll just treat these as single channel amps.

Any and all advice and experiences welcome -- I want to try and make a decision by Sunday!

Jchrisf likes this.
  2. FracStrat

FracStrat Supporting Member

IMHO …… grab an MXR 10 band to get the clean side tamed …… Keep the 20 and consider doing the Red Channel Cap Option Mod …… If you ever go to jam with a friend or get an opportunity to branch out , you won't be limited to 'Bedroom Volume' only …… The Headroom difference is Huge if you want Clean at all in the future ……

NicDo, kselbee and ShreddyKrueger like this.
  3. ShreddyKrueger

ShreddyKrueger Member

Thanks man, appreciate this. What's the Cap mod?

4. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

I'd keep the DSL1, send the 20HR back and then get a 40CR and see how you like it up against the DSL1

Holzar88 and ShreddyKrueger like this.
  5. ShreddyKrueger

ShreddyKrueger Member

Ah, sadly the combo isn't an option -- I don't have the space.

Jchrisf likes this.
  6. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

One is loud enough to play with a band. One is not. If you plan to play in a band your choice is obvious.

NicDo and FracStrat like this.
  7. ShreddyKrueger

ShreddyKrueger Member

As stated in the OP -- I only play at home. There's a difference in tone between the two amps, and I'm currently unsure which way to go.

8. 8len8

8len8 Member

I don’t think the C19 cap mod applies to the DSL20. Do you have a thread discussing that mod on this amp?

9. 8len8

8len8 Member

The DSL20 in low power mode doesn’t emulate the DSL1 compression enough?

10. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

It sounds like you really want an amp that does both, but if you have to choose between just those two then that is tough. Personally, I'd go for the 20 watter and get a pedal that pushes it into the compression and kerrang you like.

You just need to play both as much as possible over the weekend and decide -- then let us know which and why!

:aok

ShreddyKrueger likes this.
  11. ShreddyKrueger

ShreddyKrueger Member

It gets in the ballpark, but there's just something about the character of the 1w that's different.

12. ShreddyKrueger

ShreddyKrueger Member

Thanks for this, man -- appreciated :aok
    I've got a pretty good board at the minute (Bogner, Wampler, Wheebo, etc) but it just seems to be an amp characteristic that my pedals can't duplicate.

13. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

I wish I would have gotten the 40 or 100 over the 20 just for the more channels and modes. As you've seen me post before I can't find that Hot Rod Plexi tone I want and the volume doesn't work on the emulated out. Other than that it is the perfect bedroom/home amp. It sounds huge at low volumes with plenty of thump and fullness. I hope Marshall puts out a Hot Rod Plexi 20 watt that has the balls of the DSL20.

14. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Member

The green crunch channel on the 40 is really the highlight of these amps if you ask me. Pushed with a tube screamer or a klon clone type pedal it is amazing tone.

I'm wondering if you are getting more power tube overdrive out of the one watt simply because you are turning it up louder. Try turning up the 20 watt!

DrainBamage and Jchrisf like this.
  15. FracStrat

FracStrat Supporting Member

Len , I may be wrong but I thought you could bypass the Treble Bleed Cap on the DSL20 as well …… I thought we had a thread over on TMF that addressed it ..
    as @8len8 mentioned here , I may be mistaken about the Cap Mod on the 20 ……
    On the DSL40 there is a Treble Bleed Capasitor on the Red Channel (C19) that makes the Amp way to Fizzy at Lower Volumes …… It's a great tone when you turn that puppy up high …… but if you want it to sound great at Home Studio levels then lowering the value of the Cap makes it sound great …… Some guys just pull it out all together …… I wanted to have all three options so I've got a mini SPDT switch that allows for 440pF ( really close to stock value ) , none ( like if you just pulled it out ) , and 100pF ( perfect for killer tone at Bedroom Volume )

16. ablue

ablue Member

I would guess the majority of people here only play at home, myself included. The power tube compression being touch sensitive is really hard to get without the amp being turned up and I think that is what you want here. I don't know about the 1 watt DSL but I have the 20wattHR. It covers a lot of the Marshall ground but it is a bright sucker. I haven't tried tube changes or anything else. My fix is plug it into a Power Station tweak the high end , crank the masters and add a better reverb. I would not recommend the V30 with the peakiness/brightness and high efficiency for home use on the 20 watt. A well broken in 55hz speaker would help with the cleans. Maybe there will come some mods to help out the 20 watt. And if I find myself going out to jam someday the 20 would probably be my choice, leaving the pricey stuff at home including the PS.

17. MAD 69

MAD 69 Member

Had the 1w but it does not "fill up" a cab like the 20. I run my my 20dsl head into a 212 Orange cab and the sound is nite and day compared to the 1 water, the tone is awesome, could not say that about the former...

18. LaXu

LaXu Member

I would try an attenuator or replacing the V30s with something else. I really like the Eminence FDM speakers with built-in attenuation. Though they are only 9db max attenuation it might be enough to tame your DSL without significant change to the tone. I have the Eminence Maverick in a Bogner Goldfinger combo that does Fender style cleans and Marshall style overdrive.

The V30 is a great speaker for hard rock and metal but it is pretty modern and aggressive sounding which can get grating over time.

19. ShreddyKrueger

ShreddyKrueger Member

Thanks man -- appreciated.
    Are you running V30s in the Orange? I have an Orange 1x12 with V30s that I used to replace my Suhr 1x12 with Vet30s. How does the clean channel work for you, and what kind of volume levels are you playing at?

20. ShreddyKrueger

ShreddyKrueger Member

Ah, the Bogner Goldfinger -- now that's an amp that may be in my immediate future (well, by the time the year's out if I can find the space for the head).