DSL = Bad investment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wmacky, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

I can't Believe this thing in mint condition won't sell for $595! The release of the Asian model has destroyed it's value! :FM

What did these originally retail for? I wonder how much Guitar Center would offer?

2. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

The Asian model SUCKS compared.
    Sounds one dimensional last time i heard it.

3. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

And yes I'm in a bad mood, and posted this in haste! :)

4. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Nah, they were that cheap used before the cheap reissue. The new ones do sound worse to my ear, but it's been a while since I sold my old JCM2000 100w head. The reason they are so cheap used is because Marshall made a gazillion of them and they're not particularly trendy to own. It sucks if you decide to sell one, but is easily one of the best sounding rock amps for under $800.

5. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

Well, Here's the salt in my wound. Years back I traded my mint 1987 reissue + $100 for this used DSL. This was at a shop. At the time the deal didn't seem so bad as when new, they retailed for about the same. Fast foward to today, it appears the 1987 is worth almost double! Changing back to a 1987 will be a hell of a lose.

It was a bad idea to trade way back then, But over time that deal is becoming worse!

6. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Why are you getting rid of it in the first place?

I think they are great Marshalls.

What are you looking for ?

7. RedHerringHack

RedHerringHack Member

I don't really look at amps as an investment, that said, it's only bad if you sell.

If you want an investment, buy top shelf right off the bat. I like my DSL.

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Amps are not investments, especially the kind one can buy at the corner music store. Don't be surprised that you can't sell your amp at the price you want. Be surprised people are silly to buy used fenders... Not that *is* head-scratching worthy.

9. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

Didn't Jeff Beck play a DSL 50w?

10. illini

illini Member

I wouldn't expect to get anything from Guitar Center. They will ask $600, but are going to only give you a couple hundred for it.

It sounds like you didn't buy it new, so if you aren't in a hurry to sell it, you should be able to sell it without losing to much. If I were in your shoes and was able to hang on to it I would. They really are a great bang for your buck Marshall. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in the near future these amps jump up quite a bit in value.

11. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Beck, Sambora, Nuno, Moore (Gary and Vinnie) all use/d DSLs

12. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Hold onto it for twenty years and it should get better they are a good amp.

13. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

No I like the amp just fine, but just got a nice deal on a JCM 800 Reissue. With a boost, It looks like the new JCM will cover everything the DSL did.

So the DSL is just an extra amp that I don't really need now. I thought I might even use the funds toward another 1987 plexi reissue. Thats what I originally traded for the DSL. Looks like I could lose my shirt going back to the 1987 which kept it's value much better over the last 10 years.

No I didn't buy new, but did trade a 1987 reissue that I DID buy new, and I paid $1300 for, so yeah, It's going to be a huge loss.

14. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

$595 was a bit high before the reissue.

15. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

Really? What did they originally sell for when they were one of the flagships?

16. Custom50

Custom50 Member

You've made a few threads about this. I know, it sucks, but it's a great amp for 600 bucks. So, once again, I say keep it! Just get more cabinets. Then it's not redundant, it's (Tim Taylor voice) MORE POWER!

17. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Never bought a new one but I bought a used one from Guitar Center about 5 years ago - mint for $550 out the door.

18. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Maybe I look at things differently but if I have had an amp 6 months or maybe, a year than yeah it's a loss for sure but not a huge loss if I got use out of it and enjoyed it for that time. Now if I have had an amp 10 years or so like I assume from your post I don't look at it as a huge loss or even a loss. I play my stuff all the time and put a lot of hrs on equipment, if I enjoyed it and got good use of it for 10 or even 5 years it is not a loss in the least it was money well spent to do what I love to do.

19. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

So you bought the 1st amp new, and then traded it for the 2nd amp, and then you used the 2nd amp for years. And now you're mad that the 2nd amp isn't worth as much as you paid for the 1st amp (new) several years ago? Jeez, that's rough. :anon

20. Faded

Faded Member

Ouch!