DSL100 or DSL 50?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by VanR, Mar 16, 2006.

1. VanR

VanR Senior Member

Well after playing my first gig Saturday night with my new DSL 100 I think I have decided that I bought too much amp. The DSL100 sounded great, but I never even got it turned up over 2 and I was still too loud for the room, which was a pretty large bar BTW. I was thinking I would return the 100 to GC and get a DSL50. Now decibel wise it might not make too much of a difference I know, but maybe I can get the tubes working a little bit more. What do you guys think. My buddy says it won't make much of a difference, he wants me to keep the 100, but I don't know. Besides the cost of retubing a 50 will be less.

2. JasonP

JasonP Member

Techinically I believe theres like 3dB difference between the 50 to 100 watter, so not much difference.
    To me it's more of a tone thing between the two and if you need the extra headroom of the clean channel. But either way if you only got the volume at 2 all the time then IMO theres really no need for a 100 watter unless you are digging the tone, I would go check out the 50 and see what you think.

3. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I loved the tone of the amp. Is there any difference in the tone of the 100 and the 50? The 100 is just a monster. I wanted a 50 when I bought this 100, but I couldn't find one in town so I bought the 100. As far as clean goes I find myself liking the clean channel with the gain all the way up and the crunch switch pressed in. I can return the 100 to GC and order a 50 with 2-day shipping and still have money left over.

4. John Carson

John Carson Member

I have the DSL50 with the 1936 2x12 cabinet and its as loud as I could ever imagine needing.
    It is very managable at lower volume with the volume at say 12-1 o'clock and the gain at 9 o'clock. The classic gain is great for crunchy rock and blues and the ultragain really kicks for heavier leads. Id do the exchange.
    Just my 2 cents
    :AOK

5. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

go for it. i personally find the dsl50's to be the best sounding new marshall design since the 800's.

6. JasonP

JasonP Member

I myself have never played a 50 watter so I would like to hear some opinions on the differences as well.

7. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I've got about 9 more days before my 30-day GC period runs out so I may try and find a 50 in town and play it before I make up my mind. But that's the way I am leaning.

8. EL35

EL35 Member

Why don't you just pull two output valves to reduce the power? (Do a search on that topic to see how it works)

It won't cost you a single penny, if you don't like it you can still get some other amp!

9. Liquid Sunshine

Liquid Sunshine Member

The 50 sounded better when I had one.

10. VanR

VanR Senior Member

So as I understand this if you have tubes as follows
    1 2 3 4 then I would remove tubes 1 and 4 and then set my impedence selector to 8 ohms to run my 16 ohm cabinet. Is that correct? And this is a tried-and-true method of doing this and it won't damage the OT? I might have to try this tonight and see what happens. Does this affect the bias of the remaining tubes or do I need to rebias?

11. EL35

EL35 Member

Yep, this is correct. AFAIK you can either remove tube 1 and 4 OR 2 and 3. Impedance selector set to half of the actual impedance is right, too.

It's tried-and-true, yep! Many ppl dig it, but as usual there are some that don't like it at all. To be honest, it won't reduce the loudness that much, but the amp will saturate a little bit earlier (which is what you want I guess). As I said, try it and see how you like it. I personally wouldn't get rid of a 100W amp in favor of a 50W amp, as it won't reduce the volume that much anyway. I'd either go for a really low-wattage amp, like the 20W Marshall HW amp, or stick with the 100W amp, possibly reducing the wattage by pulling those two tubes.

Good luck with your tone quest :BluesBros

Mike

12. VanR

VanR Senior Member

Thanks for all the answers. I am just gonna keep the 100. Just a great sounding amp and I can't see getting rid of it. After doing some preamp tube changing last night I found out I like the stock "Marshall" branded preamp tubes better than anything else I stuck in there. I think they are Chinese silver plates, but I'm not sure.

13. KTT

KTT Member

I was told by Phil Wells head of the tech department at marshall UK that you should NOT pull tubes on a DSL100 as there a different design and this would screw the amp up? maybe a tech could confirm for sure