DSL40 or 100 into a PA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JDaniels, Mar 9, 2015.

1. JDaniels

JDaniels Supporting Member

I'm looking for a two channel Marshall flavoured amp with a decent clean and classic crunch with effects loop to play at church with into a PA. It's a large church (1200) with an awesome sound system so I will always be miced. It's a big stage so it wont be bedroom volumes but in all reality I wont be getting close to pushing either of these amps most of the time.

Initially I was looking for something along the lines of my Jet City 20 watt single channel combo with a clean channel and the only thing relatively close is the DSL40C. The DSL has a pile more gain than I would ever use, but I think there is a couple tones in there I could use. My dilemma comes in when I found a month old DSL100 halfstack for sale locally for $1000, the DSL40C sells new for around $900. I also keep hearing how good the 100s can sound at lower volumes. For $100 difference it seems silly to me not to get the 100, even though it would be complete overkill. That being said, I wouldn't really be pushing the 40 that hard either with it being mic'd.

Lastly I'm also considering the Egnater Rebel 30, what are your guys thoughts on getting a good Marshall crunch from this amp? Then again, that amp is around a grand new by itself as well. I like the power scaling feature on each channel of the Rebel, so between that and the DSL it comes down to pushing the power tubes slightly vs bigger iron. Which would sound better at lower volumes?

What would you guys do? I know what I "want" to do, but I want to sound good and does the 100 really sound half decent at low volumes? There's also a 100h for sale locally for $500 (just the head), and I could probably grab a decent 2x12 somewhere for 300, and have a decently practical rig for less than a new 40C. Thoughts?

2. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The 100H has a triode switch on the back that makes it about a 50 watt head with a smoother response vs pentode/100w. Unlike the Marshalls that came before the DSL series, which had to be loud to really sound good, DSL are designed to sound good at less than arena volumes and work well at home and smaller venue levels.
    Get the half stack!

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Out of those three I'd get the Rebel 30.

4. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

I play a DSL40C at my church...pretty much just keep it on the crunch voicing and use my guitar volume to clean it up when needed. FWIW, my church is small, but I've never had to crank it even in 20 watt mode. These suckers are loud.

5. JDaniels

That's what I did with my jca20, but with the volume rolled back on my guitar for cleans and then up for crunch, the crunch would be a little too loud. I need the two sounds to be a little closer in perceived volume, which is why I figured I needed a second channel. I just hope I can get a good crunch on OD1 because there's quite a bit of gain on there.

6. JDaniels

How were the older jcm2000 dsl at lower volumes compared to the new dsl100h? I found a 2000dsl100 half stack with straight cab for a grand locally. Cab has a bit of road rash, but looks good other than that. Thanks for all your helpful replies fellas,

7. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I prefer Marshall over Egnater. That said, I have a couple of thoughts...

First, your price on the DSL40C seems high (unless you're talking Canadian dollars). These are $700 USD new in most places - and can be had for less with a coupon. So, if you're talking USD, the difference is closer to $300 rather than $100.

Second, either amp (the 40C or the 100H half stack) will do the job. Clearly, a half stack will sound bigger, but if mic'd I don't think there will be a noticeable difference in tone to the audience, and you'll get plenty of stage volume with either amp. It's about portability, personal preference, and how much you're willing to spend. I own both amps and they both sound great.

Lastly, what cab comes with the "half stack"? Marshall is pairing the DSLH's with a lower line of cabs than the 1960s or other models. And, I find it's getting harder to sell 4x12 cabs in general (even harder if the quality isn't there). So, maybe it's not such a great deal.

For example, I got my 1960A cab used locally for $300 USD and it's in great shape. I got the head as a new "reconditioned" amp (probably a returned item) for $700 USD. I guess I'm saying $1000 USD for this half stack isn't exactly like they're giving it away, so don't be too swayed by the deal. Again, if Canadian dollars, forget about the figures....

8. JDaniels

Yes my apologies my figures are in Canadian dollars. Our dollar has taken a bit of a tumble since the price of oil went down so the figures don't look as good at first glance.

Thank you very much for the helpful post though, this forum is great. I will inquire about what model that 4x12 is, but the more I think about it, I'm not going to drag a 4x12 around just to mic it. I'll likely end up just getting the 100h and then find a 2x12 to put it on. Unless a used 40c comes up in the meantime, in which case I would probably get that. Thanks fellas.

9. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

On OD1, I only use the crunch channel, even for cleans. I haven't found the clean setting to be very useful. On OD2, you can get a pretty good classic gain sound by keeping it low. Yes, there's a LOT of gain on tap if you want it.

I've only have the JCM2000 DSL half stack and the newer DSL40C, but in my opinion the JCM2000 sounded better even at low volumes. However, it did act up from time to time and have to go to the shop. The JCM2000s are getting old.

10. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The DSL line is fully designed with lower volumes in mind.
    JCM2000 DSL100 heads are great, but make sure it's either a post 2002 or has had the bias drift issue addressed. (the serial number has the year as the first 4 digits after a M---M1997-XX-XXXX is 1997)
    There is a thread about old vs new DSL100 heads. Honestly, the new ones are every bit as good as the old ones. There is a slight trade off of generic transformers on the DSL100H, but the improved reliability offsets it.

11. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member