DT-25 or DT-50?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by hanales, Feb 22, 2012.

1. hanales

hanales Member

Ok,

I'm taking the plunge to complete my rig.

So the question is, which one do I get?

I generally play in clubs with my top 40 band, the larger rooms are 300 people or so, the smaller are .... smaller.

I do have PA support when I desire it, but of course I love that real amp feel as the basis for my sound.

I have a 50 watt NMV fender type that I use, but I can't turn it up past 10 o'clock or so without blowing everyone's faces off (eminence swamp thang, damn it sounds phenomenal). So I worry about that with the DT50, but I've read stories about the 25 not being able to keep up and not having enough head room.

So, what say all of you? I'll probably get a 1x12 combo + extension cab either way.

2. veus55

veus55 Silver Supporting Member

I have both and I think that the DT50 is better for gigs. The DT25 is loud, but not loud enough if you plan to play large rooms.

3. veus55

Here is a couple of clips of my DT50/HD500 rig live

Please keep in mind we are a bunch of old guys with regular jobs who get together to play for friends. We are not pro players so please ignore the mistakes... Just so you get the idea of how good this sounds recording with a regular recorder.

The amp is not micked

Dan

4. hanales

hanales Member

That's awesome! What pickups in that strat? I've been thinking of replacing the gold laces in my old plus.

I really dug that tone in you really got me.

5. veus55

The bridge humbucker is a Seymor Duncan custom/custom (this is the one I am using)
    The two single coils are custom shop master build hand wound

6. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

Another vote for the 50. Flexibility...If you ever want more you'll have it.

7. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

I don't have nor have I ever played the dt25. I have 2xdt50's and love the sound.

They are the largest combo amps I've ever owned. They don't lack for volume. I've heard many dudes rave about the 1x12 and I sometimes wonder if I should have gone smaller...No way I'm trading them in though.

8. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

So are the 25 and 50 identical except for the output watts..?

9. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

Basically...but no. They use different tubes. And with the DT25 you can use the direct out while in standby mode. That could be good for recording your DT patch, but you can make a full modeled patch with the hd500, or use the LVM, or mic it. I believe with the DT25 LVM is 5 watts. (maybe 10)

10. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I think the preamp models on the amps are different too.

11. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

Thanks..I was just wondering..not like I have a dime to spend on either..but it sure would be nice to have a POD500 and a DT25 to try..! :)

12. nodata2000

nodata2000 Supporting Member

They're technically the same four "models" / voicings.

13. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I thought i read that the I topology was a different fender on the DT25. Doesn't matter really. From my experiance with the DT50...If cash is a issue I think the 25 would be loud enough. If you can afford the $300, I'd get the DT50.

14. nodata2000

nodata2000 Supporting Member

You may be right...

Based on what I hear, Voicing I on the DT25 is actually the Twin Reverb, not the Blackface Deluxe. Maybe it's the BF on the 50...? :huh

15. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I've got a DT50, play in clubs similar in size to yours(with an occasional outdoor or larger venue) and find it works great. The large cab in the 112 sounds huge for it's size. I haven't use an extension cab yet.

Also, you can set up the output stage to Class A(25 watts) or triode to reduce the volume while retaining tube feel.

16. veus55

I also find that the DT25 and DT50 differ in other ways.

For example, I use the DT25 at home and the DT50 when I play with my band. When I play the same HD500 patches with both the sound is different. I am sure it has to do with volume, kind of tubes, cab size, etc.

Head to head, the DT50 sounds better, but again, although pretty much similar in so many ways, the different variables make them different amps.

I have had a difficult time creating HD500 patches in one and using them in the other without further tweaking.

Dan

17. 89 Special

89 Special Member

Another vote for the DT 50 from me. I wanted the 25 to work for my back's sake but it was a no go. The clean sounds were down right wimpy when the DT 25 was combined with my HD 500. Also, the gain sounds were good for low volume and bedroom situations but there was not enough headroom for a gig volume and band setting. The DT 50 and HD 500 combo work like a champ for me. I have the DT 50 head and the 112 combo and I use the different amps depending on the room I'm gonna play in. If you need to get loud then get the DT 50. You won't regret it.

89 SPL

18. 89 Special

89 Special Member

1000% my experience. Everything said here is what happened for me and Line 6 does not want to talk about this little problem. You can't use you HD 500 between the two amps unless you want to write separate programs for each amp. I already use 56 patches. I don't want to write 56 more for the DT 25. YMMV

89 SPL

19. eschatts

eschatts Member

Man that is cool that you guys have fun just playing for friends and fam. I would like to do that.

20. veus55

eschatts, we are lucky that we have good stable jobs and can do music for fun and passion only.