dual 250K/500K volume potentiometer?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by aladune, Mar 30, 2015.

1. aladune

aladune Member

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that's pointless when you can just use resistors to turn a 500k into a 250k, so each pickup gets the right loading. also, how easy is a dual-ganged pot gonna be to turn?

look up the suhr SSH diagrams, that's how you do it.

3. aladune

aladune Member

Oh thanks, can you point out where i can find those ssh diagram would be please.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

here ya go.

5. Funk-O-Meter

Funk-O-Meter Member

^^ This

I've actually disassembled a fender TBX pot and replaced the wafers with different values and it works but it's way easier to put a resistor in line.

6. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

I've done the wafer swap a few times, but this looks a lot easier. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

My usual rant on this is that I actually prefer 250K for most buckers in a strat. Especially a PAF type output bucker. It's still plenty clear. Here's my reasoning.

* Fenders are 25.5" scale which is brighter, more open sound than a Gibson 24.75" scale.

* Fenders use maple necks for 99.999% of their guitars. maple is usually brighter and snappy compared to Gibson/mahogany.

*Fender strats often don't run a tone load on the bridge pickup. Gibsons do.

So that 500K pot with a bucker in a strat can be very bright and shrill unless it's a hot pickup which is darker to begin with. Same bucker in a Gibson will be a good bit darker because of the reasons mentioned above.

I have a maple/alder strat right now with HSS and 250K, and has a very bright tone. It sounds great and very "in your face" kinda tone. Compared to other humbucker guitars with 500K pots, it's still brighter, on the humbucker. A 500K would be awful with the bucker.

So a 500K pot on a bucker in a Gibson will be a good bit darker than using the same stuff in a Fender for the reasons above. I'd say try a 500K and if you like it, I totally get it. Or if you want a tone control for the bucker, maybe a 500K will work best... I'm just sayin', there are no rules. It's closed minded to think singles 250K and buckers need 500K, end of story... Use your ears and then depending on pickups, figure it out.

8. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Scott Henderson swore by the 250K pot for years with a Duncan 59.
    One day I made him try the 500K load and 22n tone for the humbucker alone, he was floored. He felt that the 250K sounded choked in comparison which is what I hear. We always run a tone on the bridge pickup. I think people really need to try the correct load for themselves. It will of course depend on everything else in your chain including on how long your cable is.

9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yes, I remember you telling me that story before, John. It depends on the pickup, wood and rig. But the same bucker and pot in a Gibson will be darker and in a fender will naturally be brighter, bordering shrill to me sometimes.

I remember trying it with a Duncan EVH in an alder strat. Yikes, treble city. A 250K vol. pot made that pickup sound sweeter on top end and still plenty clear. made the pickup sound thicker. It had a real nice growl and when I switched to singles, it was great. The one exception I recall was with a Tone Zone, as that pickup is dark/muddy to me.

10. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

To answer the OP, I went on the hunt for this dual pot last month and without much success. Not sure that it is available outside the Shawbucker Strat at this time. I then went with the above mentioned Suhr wiring diagram - very happy with the results.

I'm a Strat player, but rarely if ever use the bridge single coil. One day after watching a YouTube vid I felt compelled to throw in a SD Custom 78 in the bridge.