Dual Delay??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tonybologna000, Aug 13, 2008.

1. tonybologna000

tonybologna000 Member

So I'm looking for a delay pedal that can switch between a long and short delay time so that I can have a slapback echo on all the time and then switch to a longer delay if needed during a solo. Does this exist? Can you get the same effect just by stacking two seperate delay pedals?

Thanks.

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I use a DLS Echo Tap or a TC Nova Delay for that.

The Nova has presets, so you can switch back and forth. The DLS has a fixed setting and a tap setting. You can tap the longer delay and leave the fixed setting on a short slap.

I like the Nova better, but it takes a while to learn it. I spent a long time with it before I gigged with it. The Echo Tap is pretty much plug and play.

I actually have them both on my board now so that I have many different possibilities available.

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey,

Yeah, such a pedal does indeed exist...
    It's called a Blackbox Quicksilver.
    It has a footswitch to switch between either long or short delays, and two corresponding knobs to control the delay time of each setting. Also has an fx loop and modulation! Killer little delay.
    You can also do such things with the Eventide Timefactor and TC Nova (as Brian pointed out).
    Lastly, yes, you can get that "effect" (though it's not really an effect so much as it is just switching between delay times :messedup) with "stacking" two seperate delay pedals.

Hope that helps!

4. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Other than digital units, I'd go with 2 seperate boxes. Then you get to choose delays that are better suited to a short delay time and a longer one - e.g. you need a darker, murkier delay for short delays with more repeats but on longer delay settings you prefer pristine clean delays and 1 repeat only.

Not many dual delay units allow you to tweak the number of repeats too.

Unless you are grabbing an EHX DMM and a Moog, I don't think real estate space will be much of an issue.

I use 2 x Ibanez EM-5 echomachines in series and they take up the space of an EHX DMM.

5. slacker

slacker Senior Member

The aforementioned DLS Echotap has a 'channel' footswitch that allows you to change from preset to tap tempo. I normally run mine at 100-150ms on the red channel and tap beats 1 and 3, but that's just me. It sounds ok and has a filter to darken the repeats (both channels). What is cool is that each channel has it's own volume. I run the shorter preset delays a lot lower than the tap tempo ones. THe DLS is supplied with a pos tip 9v power supply but it will also run at 9v neg tip. I've run mine on the standard adapter, one spot and Boss PSA with no problems.

The DLS is a meat and potatoes delay. It does what it says on the tin and no more. It sounds ok but not stunning. I mainly use it live and if I dont need tap tempo I use a reissue EH DMM which is almost featureless, too big, needs a 24v power supply and is generally a PITA to use live...but it is the best sounding delay I have ever tried (not tried the Fulltone).

I also have the EH SMMH and whilst that is a crazy versatile delay you cannot foot switch modes or presets unless you can operate the hazarai knob with your toe (twist and tap). I have seen a picture of the SMMH with a broken Hazarai pot. Wonder how that happened...

6. cber1517

cber1517 Member

On the cheap, you could go with the Danelectro PB&J delay which I have and you could find used for under $50. Not true bypass but it has a great analog-type warmth to the repeats and a short/long stomp switch.

Also, BBE just released the two-timer delay which is a more sturdy, true-bypass version of the same short/long delay option.

7. Loudnotes

Loudnotes Member

The Retro-Sonic Analog Delay does this and is a great sounding delay!

The Retro-Sonic Analog Delay Pedal is based on the circuit of the Boss DM-2 and offers a separate footswitch for switching between a shorter echo and a longer delay, up to 600 milliseconds. Check out the Retro Sonic Analog Delay pedal. OS

8. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

9. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

You just described the Retro-Sonic analogue delay...unless you want digital that is.
    Two buttons, one for short one for long.Great sounding BBD.
    I think the new version even goes up as high as 800 ms delay time.

10. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Retro-Sonic, and I recently got a custom order Leila (leilavintageffects) "Softdelay" with true double capacity, that is, two delay time, repeats and mix settings. Very reasonable <$200 price in bright red sparkle finish. The R-S goes first as the always on delay, followed by an R-S Chorus, and then the Leila last, with one setting for the Albert Lee dotted eighth note effect and the other for a longer more pronounced effect.

11. mild

mild Member

Plus another with the Retrosonic crowd... incredible sounding delay.

12. rowla

rowla Supporting Member

Hi there,

I previously had a Danelectro PBJ delay but then I got a dual delay which is two OceanEFX Vintage Echos in one box. Level, time, repeats on both sides.

Bought it as an SJM Effects prototype from ausguitarman here in Australia. He's a TGP member too.

Mine is version 2, towards the end of the first apge here..

http://www.guitargear.net.au/discussion/index.php?topic=9304.0

Super duper. PM for more details

Col