Dual Drive question...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Perry D., Nov 4, 2005.

1. Perry D.

Perry D. Supporting Member

I recently bought a used ProAnalog Dual Drive. The pedal is in great shape and everything seems to be working properly except the 'pull phat' function. I can't tell any change in the EQ when I engage it. I've tried cranking my amp and rotating the 'bark' control but I can't hear any EQ shift when I turn the 'pull phat' on and off. Is this a super subtle effect on the DD or am I missing something?

Thanks for your responses,
    Perry

2. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Perry,
    It is a very subtle thing. I find it sounds different with each amp I try it through. Also depends on what you stack with it. I found that goosing the DD with another overdrive accentuates the effect. You must play loudly to get the most out of the pedal.

3. theelectic

theelectic Guest

That's normal. I mostly use a Twin Reverb on 6-7 and never heard anything but the slightest change with the Pull Phat ON. There was the tiniest bit of extra distortion but that's it. It just doesn't do much.

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Agreed... as Scotty says, this is basically a "pro" pedal, not a "bedroom" pedal. That's been my experience, it shines at gigs.

5. muddy

muddy Member

it's not THAT subtle though. in fact, it sounds like a different pedal. it adds a lot of fullness & warmth. it's kickin' the germaniums in, it SHOULD sound different. i'd have it checked out (not right now, though, i think scotty's WAY too busy at the moment). if you can find someone local to you that has one to do an a/b, that'd tell you.

ml

6. Perry D.

Exactly Muddy!

I know the sound of germaniums and I aint hearin' um. I am diggin' the pedal though. ( SN #10 ) I just spent the last 2 hours crankin' it through my 40 watt Blackbird and the DD is like a 'Hi Fi' gain enhancer!! old Strat > Picture wah > Mcfuzz ptp hot/hybrid > Cot 50 > DD > Eternity > Honey bee > Squeeze factor > AM chorus > Ad-9 > amp

Yes, I'm a happy guy!

Oh yea, I might mention that except for the wah, all the pedals fit nicely ( as in tightly ) into a lap-top case.

I do hope Scotty can eventually check it out. Muddy, maybe you can put a good word in for me.?.?

Perry

7. theelectic

theelectic Guest

That further confirms my experience that the Pull Phat doesn't do much. My DD's SN# was in the 90s. I didn't expect the Pull Phat to sound like a vintage Fuzz Face, but I hoped it would make a drastic difference, which it clearly did not.

8. muddy

muddy Member

it doesn't turn the thing into a fuzz, if that's what you thought it was gonna do. no one ever SAID that was the case. nor does it increase the gain (well, maybe a little). what it does do is up the bass & lower mids, making it phatter, warmer & a bit punchier. and the difference is pretty noticable. i think so. i almost wish it was footswitchable instead! i WILL tell you that the higher the pot is turned up, the more noticable the pull-phatt is when engaged.

ml

9. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Yep, I can hear the pull phat as well. Sound like Muddy describes, to my ears at least. There's a noticeable thickening in the low mids, and the effect is more noticeable if the Bite is up around (or above) 1:00. It isn't drastic, per se, but it is easily noticeable.

10. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Yeah - what Muddy said

The Pull Phat gets it pretty damn close to my Klon's girth w/ a nicer,more open top end. The PHAT definitely is EASILY noticeable w/ a tele and a Deluxe Reverb on 4 - so you should hear it even if you are NOT a stage level.

That said - the pedal shines w/ ya turn the amp up but you can hear the full effect of the Pull Phat at quieter levels. My DD is also an earlier one - #18 - so it should be far off from what you have

11. Perry D.

Hey guys,

Scotty just emailed me and offered to check the pedal out to make certain everything is right. Thanks for all the responses.

Perry

12. Lefty

Lefty Member

Despite what some might say on other boards...Scotty's alright!! :dude

Now the hard part is deciding between the Dirt Royal w/Cheeze and the Power Driver :D

13. TDavis

TDavis Member

I've had my Dirt Royale on the "board" for two gigs now, (got it last Saturday), and IMO,it's a great OD/Distortion. It's a very "versatile" pedal..you can get great light,smooth OD to heavy OD and smooth distortion to "almost" Fuzz...which is really what I've been looking for a long time. Like the good folks here are saying, this pedal is meant to be played live,...however,I felt it was pretty impressive when I "unboxed" it and gave it try on my Blackbird in the basement!

14. theelectic

theelectic Guest

LOL just in case y'all think I'm the lone dissenting nutcase :) I got my DD brand spanking new, so when the Pull Phat didn't do anything, I figured that's how it was supposed to work, since I also figured ProAnalog wouldn't send out anything that was defective. And I don't think I have tin ears either, I can easily hear the difference between alkaline and heavy duty (carbon) batteries in a Fuzz Face - that difference (to my ears) is also very subtle, not drastic.

Anyway, as usual, take all comments with a healthy dose of salt!