Dual drives - Why does almost every dual overdrive have a Tubescreamer side? Which ones don't?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Naigewron, Aug 13, 2019.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

That's the answer. Unless you have two distinct circuits that serve difference purposes, why have a dual pedal?

jcs, HERSCHEL and Abram4235 like this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Because jacks are in a jacked up order on the back, making it impractical to integrate into a board.

3. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Several Lovepedal options come to mind.
    200lbs of tone is my fav.

Also
    Amp11 (as mentioned)
    Vintage Modern
    Box of Awesome
    Plus several like the Jubilee * boost which is quite nice.
    And many others.

4. buddatron

buddatron Member

I just picked up a Thorpy “The Dane”.
    It’s a boost overdrive.
    Really dynamic.
    I love it. It’s expensive for an overdrive but I think it’s worth it. Really well built, and sounds fantastic.

sanfi4u likes this.
  5. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

I'd add the Tim but they are a bit tricky since no longer made....

6. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

EQD Gray Channel is a good one.

7. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

JHS makes a few that arent TS derivatives.

jcs and In Absentia like this.
  8. Naigewron

Naigewron Member

At home I run into an Atomic amp modeler, set to a Blackface Fender Deluxe model.

When I play into a real amp, it's usually a Laney Lionheart 20w 4x10 combo.

9. Naigewron

Naigewron Member

Really? They all seem to have the Moonshine as one channel, which is their TS version.

10. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Same reason all cars and trucks have round wheels.
    When it’s time to boost a lead through a rock mix, you really can’t beat it.

Pizzaking and Kluch like this.
  11. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I'm not a fan of the TS sound through my amp at home. Too compressed & mid focused. However when I hear a recording from a live show, it sits perfect in a mix for solo stuff. It works with a trio or large group.

cratz2, chrisr0712 and MoonshineMan like this.
  12. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

The Truetone Jekyll & Hyde (the latest version) has a Nobels ODR-1 style circuit instead of a TS. Gotta give it to armchair gear research.

Such a sleeper. I have never tried one myself, but there's a band I see live fairly often and the guitar player KILLS IT with a GT-500.

valvestate and NHBluesMan like this.
  13. Zooey

Zooey Member

The EHX Hot Wax. It's cheap, and neither side is a tube screamer. It's a Hot Tubes (EHX' take on the Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz) and a Crayon (which is speculated to be a BB preamp clone).

Honorable mention to the Xotic AC+, though it's kind of a head scratcher why they didn't just put a RC and an AC (or a BB preamp) in one enclosure--that would have been possibly the world's coolest dual overdrive. Maybe they were afraid of cannibalizing individual pedal sales.

Some custom clone builders on Reverb will put various things together in a dual pedal. I have a Red Llama + LPB-1 in a single pedal. Not bad, but a Rangemaster type treble booster would be more useful to me than the LPB-1.

14. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Deucetone Rat and the EQD Grey Channel are my favorite dual drives.

15. Naigewron

Naigewron Member

16. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

The kilt v1 isn't and there's one or two others I can't think of off the top of my head.

17. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

18. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

Browne Protein

thekaiser and the_rising like this.
  19. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

The whole "tubescreamer" mindset didn't start with Maxon, I don't think.
    I was playing before you could buy overdrive or distortion pedals, and the whole idea of overdrive pedals originally was because solid state amps were getting popular and you couldn't really get that nice sustain of an overdriven front end of a tube amp with them.
    Prior to that all you could get were fuzz pedals,
    I think the first real "overdrive", at least the one I remember , was the Electro Hamronix LPB-1. That was the first one I ever seen. And it did not distort, what it did was boost the signal (Linear Power Booster, linear as in everything equal, no coloring of the sound, just boost) so that the first gain stage distorted.
    The whole idea of it was to boost the output of the guitar before the signal went into the amp in order to overdrive the first gain stage, rather than overdrive the whole amp.
    Then others started making overdrive units which, whether by pushing solid state amps hard or just be creating a gain stage that was overdriven in the stomp box itself.

My point is that Tube Screamers were , when they first came out, just another overdrive unit. But when guys discovered that not only were they good at simulating a tube amp with their much smoother and creamier sound than other units, they could simply be used to boost the signal going into the amp, and especially after Stevie Ray Vaughn used one for that purpose, they got very popular.
    But they weren't the only ones doing that. Just the one that rose to the top and became the poster child of overdrives.

So in reality I don't think the pedals that have both an overdrive circuit and an all out distortion circuit are necessarily going for the Tube Screamer sound, they are just doing including something that the Tube Screamer was another entry into.
    The fact that Tube Screamers are the best of the best overdrives ever made and easily the most popular probably entices designers to make that mid hump they have.
    But I don't think they are intentionally trying to mimic the Tube Screamer so much as trying to make one that is more appealing. Which, rotsa ruck with that.

So, my suggestion is not to limit yourself to what is currently on the market. There have been a LOT of overdrives on the market over the years, you might be able to find an old one at a pawn shop that looks like hell, scratches, a knob missing, that does exactly what you want.

20. Jon

Jon Member