Dual Humbucker with Fender tremelo?

tubedude

I usually gig with a Strat. I bring my Gibson with me but I find I need my tremelo alot. Hence It gets little action.

I would appreciate suggestions of an ax with...
Dual humbuckers
Fender like tremelo
Push pull pots would be a plus!

Bang for the buck would be great!

I was looking at a PRS SE. It looks interesting. Are the pu's alnico. Does the the trem stay in tune!
It will be used for club work.

Look for a used PRS CE-22. These can be great bargains, and work well for someone used to a Strat. The bolt-on maple neck feels "at home" for a Fender player, and the CE plays as well as any PRS. The PRS trem is similar to a Strat trem, only much better. It's a very smooth trem, that holds tune extremely well. The CE guitars were Maryland built, and on-par with all US made PRSi. I like the SE guitars for their "bang for the buck", but the hardware and pickups do not compare with the Maryland guitars. If you look around, you can find a used CE-22 for around $900.

tubedude

Hey thanks. I am going to do a bit of research on both the above guitars. Both suggestions were spot on.
Thank you!

tubedude

Going to give the Fender blacktop a chance. Since I play Fender strat anyway switching to the same neck profile and neck length will be an easy transition

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Going to give the Fender blacktop a chance. Since I play Fender strat anyway switching to the same neck profile and neck length will be an easy transition
I have the model with the Floyd. It's a great guitar, especially at its price point.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
If buying brand new, I think the Blacktop is unbeatable.

I'd probably add a push/pull pot that works on both pickups to have a little more control over the splitting but the stock combination offerings likely cover most people's needs.

I've played a few in stores but a buddy has one and one of those 20th Anniversary Hughes & Kettner Blue amps... Can't seem to get a bad tone out of that combo.

Swamp ash

The G&L F-100 was re-issued...

The Dual fulcrum trem is better than Fender's and I like the MFD humbuckers, which sound great!

Dave Wakely

If you can find one, a Heartfield RR59. 2 humbuckers, Strat trem (literally), Strat scale, mahogany body. No push-pull, but presumably rewireable. Fugiyen made for Fender, who bottled out of putting their own name on it.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Look for a used PRS CE-22. These can be great bargains, and work well for someone used to a Strat. The bolt-on maple neck feels "at home" for a Fender player, and the CE plays as well as any PRS. The PRS trem is similar to a Strat trem, only much better. It's a very smooth trem, that holds tune extremely well. The CE guitars were Maryland built, and on-par with all US made PRSi. I like the SE guitars for their "bang for the buck", but the hardware and pickups do not compare with the Maryland guitars. If you look around, you can find a used CE-22 for around $900.
This is a very good suggestion if you have time to look. I've seen these pop up for sub-$1k prices from time to time. A killer deal for that kind of quality. The same thing in a CU24 will be $500+ more for whatever reasons.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
This is a very good suggestion if you have time to look. I've seen these pop up for sub-$1k prices from time to time. A killer deal for that kind of quality. The same thing in a CU24 will be $500+ more for whatever reasons.
Definitely some good deals on CE22s. They had a gold top at one of my local Guitar Centers for $799 a couple years ago and my normal sales guy said they'd throw in one year of Pro Coverage for free at that price. Just a bit of scratches on the back and bottom edge... top looked nearly perfect but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I want to love them, but they never feel as comfortable to me as a modded strat does.

tastylicks

The G&L F-100 was re-issued...

The Dual fulcrum trem is better than Fender's and I like the MFD humbuckers, which sound great!
I was gonna mention this. Fender scale and feel, lots of tonal variety. I have an original version from 1980. They are fairly plentiful on eBay and can be had for 600-800. Trem is excellent and stays in tune perfectly.

tubedude

Nice. For me I think it makes sense to give the Fender Blacktop a try. I like the idea of having the same neck length and feel when switching guitars on stage.

Trending Topics