Dual Lock - Too sturdy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mikoo69, Apr 28, 2016.

1. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

got some dual lock to attach pedals rather than standard Velcro.

The dual lock is amazing but trying to take a pedal off once locked down is pretty tough.

Thinking rather than strips, 4 small squares in each corner of the pedal might be better; easier to remove the pedal if needed, but still stronger than ordinary Velcro?

Anyone have any tips/tricks to use dual lock for ts stability but also to easily remove pedals?

2. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have some stuff on a pedal I bought used, and I had to use a screwdriver to pull it off the board. I would think smaller strips would be the best option.

4. mikesjam

mikesjam Member

Like you said, just use way less than you think. I just put a thin strip (about a half centimeter) at the top and the bottom of the pedals when using it.

rummy likes this.
  5. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

You can use a dull butter knife or similar to slip underneath the pedal to loosen the bond. I only use Dual Lock on 1590A/mini pedals, which can be a bit wobbly with regular Velcro. I use Velcro for standard sized pedals. You could also experiment with using little squares as you mentioned.

6. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Industrial Strength Velcro. They sell it at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. Its stickier than regular Velcro, but not as hard to remove as Dual - Lock, It hits the Goldilocks zone - its just right! :)

DeVilleDude, Chance and MattLeFevers like this.
  7. gennation

gennation Member

What I lay down on my board is usually a full wide piece across the board. But for the pedals I only use a thinner strip along the top and bottom, the strip is only about a 1/2" wide. A little bit goes a long ways and I swap my pedals around all the time so I use a small amount on the pedal themselves.

And don't do a bit in each corner, if you use a thin strip instead they won't tear off when you take your pedals off the board. You got the right idea of not using too much on the pedal itself, but don't use to little either. ANd with the strip you can rock the pedal side to side and they come off without too much of a fight.

It took me a while to find the right "not too much, not to little" combo and full on the board and a thin strip on the pedals works best. It also makes swapping pedal spots on the board pretty universal too.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yep use about 1/4-1/3 as much as you would Velcro.

rummy likes this.
  9. rummy

rummy Member

I usually split the 1" strip down into two .5" strips. One goes on top, and the other goes on the bottom. It's strong enough to hold, but easy enough to remove.

[​IMG]

DoctorBray and Pizza like this.
  10. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

I use both black and clear strips (250 and 400) and I would say its close to too sturdy. I can get it off but its a struggle. I'm cool with it though

11. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

With the regular 1" wide dual lock, I cut about a 2" piece and half it down the middle to make 2 half inch x 2" strips for the top and bottom of a standard MXR sided pedal.

12. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

nailed it. Dual lock was designed to hold much bigger things than pedals! This is how its done

13. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The whole point to me is that it is sturdy. If you are using dual lock, you probably shouldn't be the type of player that rearranges their board often. I want to be able to pick up my boards by one pedal and shake them around and not have anything budge. I dont want to water down the effectiveness of a superior product by reducing the surface area it has to work with. If its too strong for you then use 250 mated with 250 instead of 250 mated with 400.

14. rummy

rummy Member

I'm confused by two things. Are you saying I shouldn't rearrange my board often because I'm using dual lock? Also, how often do you pick up your boards by one pedal and shake them around and not have anything budge?

15. whoismarykelly

Every single day when I load my gear into a venue and pull my board out of its case.

BLNKSN likes this.
  16. rummy

rummy Member

And, pull your board out of its case by one pedal? Every single day?

17. whoismarykelly

Are we having a semantics discussion? Every time I pull my board out of the case, I pull it out by a pedal and carry it around that way. I can do this because I use dual lock. Its the entire point of the product for me.

18. rummy

rummy Member

We are not. I was surprised to find there were people who actually grab the entire board by one pedal every single day.

19. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

I use dual lock on the corners, works great. Even then I usually want something to pry up underneath to remove the pedals.