Dual Op Amps in OD's. Any benefit?

Buduranus2

Silver Supporting Member
I've noticed slight improvements in clarity and openness after replacing the stock op amps in my 808 and Guv'nor clones with Burr Browns. They're still kind of "grindy" and I wondered if running two op amps in parallel using a plug-in adapter would provide any benefit. I'm looking for a little more smoothness and transparency as well as some additional headroom. Your thoughts?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
In general electrical engineering, paralleling amps is just done to increase the output drive capability. It's a little tricky since connecting the amp outputs together needs to be done through resistance so the output is no longer a "low impedance".

As far as this being done in a pedal, I don't see the benefit. The saturation characteristics and signal headroom would be the same as a single opamp design.

shoepedals

Vendor
It would probably be more interesting if you used two different op amps, but I hve never tried this myself.

Buduranus2

Silver Supporting Member
In general electrical engineering, paralleling amps is just done to increase the output drive capability. It's a little tricky since connecting the amp outputs together needs to be done through resistance so the output is no longer a "low impedance".

As far as this being done in a pedal, I don't see the benefit. The saturation characteristics and signal headroom would be the same as a single opamp design.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I thought if one BB OPA2134 made a slight improvement then two would make slightly more.

Buduranus2

Silver Supporting Member
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=51862.0
You will see some esteemed names in pedals, both DIY and consumer level, posting about it in this link. The Barber pedals website mentions doing it, but it is mainly an encouragement to experiment with it.
Notice the post by Mark Hammer (reply #4) regarding the smoothness cause.
I read his post a couple of times as well as all the others. I'll have to dig a little deeper into the performance characteristics of individual opamps to see which ones might work. Appreciate you!

Buduranus2

Silver Supporting Member
It would probably be more interesting if you used two different op amps, but I hve never tried this myself.
Yes, I read in the above-referenced link something to that effect (no pun intended.)

Trending Topics