• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Dual P90 guitar ?

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
I was thinking of purchasing a dual P90 guitar. I know of Les Pauls, etc. but they are beyond my budget. Looking for good sleeper instruments that aren't terribly expensive.

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

dreamingaxe

Tribute double cut?

Tribute Special?

epiphone Wilshire?

Jim Adkins?

Godin Kingpin?

Did you say 2x P90's? Make it three!!
Guild Starfire

Yamaha Revstar

Gibson in Telecaster clothing? G&L!

redturtle

I assume you considered the Epiphone Les Paul Special with P90s?

I have one (2015 model). The hardware was awful out of the box, but it was only $100. Swapped in better tuners, bone nut and a tune-o-matic bridge, and it plays decent. I was on the fence of selling it for a while, but decided to keep it for now.

The newer ones are supposedly much better but also dirt cheap, if you're looking to dip your toe into P90s and not wanting to spend a fortune. Some folks love them, so it could be just a hit-or-miss thing.

Warkli

Fender Blacktop Jaguar 90, Fender Mustang 90 or Modern Player Jaguar might fill the gap if you are looking for something different. But if you are after something like LP go for the Epiphone.

Last edited:

DeadLazy

Reverend makes some excellent P90 guitars for 800-1200$. The Reverend Six Gun has three P90.

Rev’s are unique, but are worth taking a look at. I’ve got a Reverend Double Agent and it’s really well built. One of the best sub 1k guitars I’ve owned. I especially appreciate it’s input jack, of all things. On cheaper guitars I’ve consistently had to replace/repair input jacks early on. This jack has been and is rock solid.

They have a bass circuit that adds and cuts bass but acts a lot like a boost. I thought it would be a gimmick but it’s actually very usable and makes the guitars unique. The styling is hit and miss but I really like some of them.

Last edited:

vortexxxx

Gibson was doing special runs of Les Paul Specials every couple of years that were close to $1,000, but under. I had one that was supposed to be a limited run for the Japanese market about 7 years ago. It had an ebony fretboard, but the other features were what you would find on a normal Special. They made too many, so a large bunch of them went to Canada and I heard that some US stores had some. Unfortunately finding one of those at the moment would be difficult. I think they were about $800.

RicOkc

Gibson was doing special runs of Les Paul Specials every couple of years that were close to $1,000, but under. I had one that was supposed to be a limited run for the Japanese market about 7 years ago. It had an ebony fretboard, but the other features were what you would find on a normal Special. They made too many, so a large bunch of them went to Canada and I heard that some US stores had some. Unfortunately finding one of those at the moment would be difficult. I think they were about $800.

I have a 2010 issue of that model in gloss TV yellow. Def. a keeper!

vortexxxx

I have a 2010 issue of that model in gloss TV yellow. Def. a keeper!

They are great guitars and have their own thing going in terms of tone, that many of the other brands mentioned will sound a bit different. I guess it depends on the OP and what he is expecting from the p-90 guitar.

fuzz guy

I have a '20 Epiphone SG Special in Pelham Blue. It's a great guitar. Plays great, sounds great, looks great. Not very expensive either. I would definitely recommend checking one out.

cosmic_rust

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen some decent *GIBSON* SG Specials turn up for around $800-900 every now and then. Those are nice little tone machines!

Shoot, I got my vintage 1968 SG Special for $750! It had a neck break (at the bottom, not the top, and it was expertly repaired in the 70s and has held to this day, plays amazingly), but still! It happens. Those are the bestest best P90s I've ever heard. Keep looking and saving!

jvin248

PRS dual soapbar SE (used), video here is on DC but SCs are out there too

Reverend

Harley Benton

Last edited:

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
+1 Reverends

Their dual P90 guitars come stock with really nice P90 pickups that are wired for noise cancelling in the middle position. Paired with their contour knob, you'd be hard pressed to find another stock P90 guitar with the range of tones you can achieve from a Reverend.

Trending Topics