Dual Purpose OD-Dist Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bikedude, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

After doing some reasearch and asking a few questions here, I've found what may be my next pedal. I wanted to get a grab and go dual mode pedal to simplify my rig. I checked out the tube stuff, Tonebone Trimode, Plexitone, SD Twin Tube and others. I looked into the Barber BUEQ, and TPEQ both very nice. A couple of other dual mode OD's from musictoyz site. I think i really like the Xotic AC+, and they're comming out with a BB+ this month(site says Jan.08 shipping). Man the AC+ sounds nice, and it uses 9volt power, unlike some of the (tube units). The BB (Bluesbreaker) + should be an awesome pedal with more OD and Dist on tap than the AC+. Anyone have one of these AC+ pedals in their arsenal? I'm getting gassed again. BTW, I really like the Crunch Box, but then I would be stacking pedals, and this is what I'm trying to avoid. I already have the ZD, OCDV1, BoR, Badmonkey, and a CB would sit well with these, but I want to minimalize my rig, and just drop a couple of pedals on the floor. I've even taken my TU-2 out of the loop! Thanks for any feedback, and also for some previous answers to some of my other querys.

2. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I had The AC Plus pedal for about 3-5 mo`s. just traded it in for a new OCD pedal. I like the OCD a lot better, it just feels and sounds better to my ears. It also is plain easier to use, I could`nt get the gain I wanted out of the B side of the AC+. So I was always trying to run them both together, and it was hard to keep the overall level managable( too much! ). Also I had a hard time figuring how to balance them w/ each other. That being said, I just bought a Jetter Gainstage Blue. And surprisingly, I`m using it as a boost for the OCD, and WOW!.

3. izzyizborn

izzyizborn Member

I've recently picked up a Fulldrive and OCD. They sound GREAT stacked in that order. If you're trying to minimize, maybe the Fulltone GT500? I've never owned one, so hopefully someone else can chime in, but it appears to do just what you're looking for.

Izzy

4. Joses

Joses Member

The Blackstone is pretty versatile and it can go from 'timmy' to 'chugga chugga'...

5. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The Blackstone is what i would recommend too. That is what I use for my primary grab-n-go dirt box.

6. Dale

Dale Member

I really like my SD Twin Tube. It is great alone and actually does a nice job acting like a tube preamp if hit by something else.

7. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

All pretty goods suggestions, but like I said, I really want to get out of stacking the pedals. I would like the ability to go from a nice crunch rythym sound, to a very saturated out front type lead sound, all out of one box. I like the Tonebone with the effects send and return feature, and also the effects loop is an option on the BUEQ. I'm still up in the air. I could just grab a Crunch Box for my lead stuff, and just run my OCD or Zendrive in front of that. But, again I just want one box, on the floor that sounds great with little hassle.

8. JZG

JZG Member

I've tried a few dual OD pedals and find the GT-500 to be pretty versatile. The drive side does a good amp-like overdrive/distortion with a lot of eq'ing options. The clean side offers a lot of boost options from really clean to some TS-like boosting, but with a bigger tone than a typical TS. The ability to switch the order of each effect is a nice bonus too. I think you'd be able to attain what you're after with this pedal. I find most dual OD pedals to be more like dual Tube Screamers. That might work for you if you want smoother OD/distortion tones.