1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Rectifier Controlling with the 1/4 jacks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HEAVENandHELL, Jan 23, 2008.

1. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

I have a 3 channel Dual Rectifier head and a Lee Jackson XLS1000 2 channel head that I would like to run simultaneously and be able to control the channel switching of both from 1 pedal. My local amp tech said he could modify my Mesa pedal to also control the Lee Jackson but I'm wondering if I can find a commercial unit that will control both, perhaps using the Mesas 1/4" control jacks on the rear panel. Does anyone know of a unit that will control the Mesa head with those jacks?

Thanks,
    Gregg

2. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

not sure how the switching on those works exactly but most are just a switch that are either open or closing the loop. you could take a box, put some switches in, have those switches corresponding to whatever amp it's going to, etc. but figuring out the connections and what not is time consuming, expensive, and it would only work for that rig.

3. primerib

primerib Member

now sure of the switches on your other amp, but check out the RJM Amp Gizmo. It is midi based but can do all sorts of neat switching jobs.

4. NoGlassNoClass

NoGlassNoClass Member

The Mesa's switching jacks are intended to recieve switching logic from an external device, however when you use the Mesa footswitch to control the amp, the jacks also short tip-to-ground. I have successfully ran 2 Rectos from one footswitch by connecting the external switching jacks of one head to those of the other with some short speaker wires (any unshielded cable will work).

As long as the XLS head switches by latching tip-to-ground logic, you should be able to control it from the Recto. You might have to experiment with which jack on the Mesa does what to the other amp. There is also a possibility of ground loop hum, depending on what you are using to split the guitar signal to the amps' front ends.

5. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

Thank you very much. If this works, it will certainly be the simplest way to accomplish my goal of running both these heads at the same time! I'm hooking these bad boys up like this tonight!:dude

6. NoGlassNoClass

NoGlassNoClass Member

Keep us posted as to your results. As I said, it works with two Rectos, but I dont want to spread misinformation.

7. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

I'll put up a report later today. I've put up the report twice so far only to find I've been kicked off TGP for inactivity and my entire report is erased! Frustrating!

8. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

To begin, I have the 3 channel Dual Rectifier but the XLS1000 is a 2 channel amp. The Recto has individual ¼” jacks for each of channel 1, channel 2, channel 3, solo, and F/X loop. The XLS1000 has only a single stereo jack to control channel switching and the F/X loop. I connected a stereo “Y” adapter to the XLS’s control input.

I began last night by connecting the Recto’s Loop jack to the XLS’s F/X control input. The logic was opposite! When selecting the Recto’s loop “ON”, the XLS loop goes “OFF.” I believe that a simple inverter will correct this problem.

Next I connected the Recto’s channel 1 to the XLS. Again, opposite logic. The Recto channel 1 is clean but the XLS would switch to dirty. So I moved the cable on the Recto end from channel 1 to channel 2. Now when selecting channel 2 on the Recto (dirty channel), the XLS also switches to dirty. Also, when selecting a channel other than 2, the XLS switches back to clean. This works great when I change the Recto back to channel 1 as the XLS follows to clean. However, if I switch the Recto to channel 3 (most dirty channel), the XLS still goes clean.

Here is where I made my 1st bonehead mistake. I decided to just “Y” together the Recto’s channels 2 and 3 outputs thinking that either one would then send the appropriate signal to the XLS. The problem is that when I selected a channel 3, my Recto began clicking as it changed channels rapidly! I had connected positive going and negative going signals together so my amp was oscillating back and forth! I quickly shut the amp off and disconnected.

The XLS has no function that I can use the Recto’s SOLO switch for.

So I think I need to build a simple logic circuit to make my Recto control the XLS properly. I need to invert the F/X Loop signal from the Recto to the XLS. Then I believe I can connect the Recto’s channels 2 and 3 to an Exclusive OR gate and to the XLS. I think the gate should provide the isolation required by the Recto while providing the logic the XLS requires to change with the Recto. I guess I need to know the signals and levels coming from the Recto so I can build a proper logic circuit. Mesa is only available M-R so I’ll have to wait until then to ask questions, unless, some great TGP’r like John Phillips can lend a little of his brilliance to my cause and share his thoughts on my findings.

Thanks again to NoGlassNoClass for his idea of using the Recto ¼” jacks to run the XLS. I had no idea those jacks would be active, much less that they could be used as outputs, when a Mesa footswitch was in use.

Gregg

9. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

working on this idea again tonight and I ran into a snag. Whenever the Recto's 1/4" jacks are connected to the XLS, and the amp input jacks are connected through a Morley A/B/Y switch, the channels start changing rapidly in both amps! I tried lifting the ground of 1 amp just to see if it made any difference, but it did not help. I would like to try one of the Radial products that isolate the two cables from each other to see if that would fix the problem. If not, I think this idea will fail. Too bad as I had everything all planned out to get this going!

Gregg

10. NoGlassNoClass

NoGlassNoClass Member

That's bizzare...perhaps an isolated aby (Radial or similar) would do the trick as you suggest.

Before you go to the trouble of building some type of logic circuit (unless you really want to), consider that the Recto's Ch2 switching jack is basically connected to nothing. Ch2 is the default when you set the amp to FSTW and no footswitch is connected. Depending on your needs tonally, you could use the Ch3 trigger to get the dirt channel on the XLS head, and use Ch2 for more mid-gain tones with one amp clean and the other dirty. Of course these may not be the kind of sounds you need....