1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dual rectifiers Bassman 5E6-A

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fabiomayo, Mar 17, 2006.

1. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Hi, y'all.

This is actually more of a curiosity. As a project for the end of the year or next year I was thinking of getting a higher powered tweed amp built for me as a complement of the Tremolux (5E9-A) I'm waiting on. I had already decided on the tweed Bandmaster (5E7) 3x10' combo, perhaps with an added reverb. Still I kept wondering about the Bassman. Now I'm even more intrigued with the 5E6-A with two 5U4 (Is this the famous dual rectifiers I hear about every now and them?). Anyone could compare these amps (clones, vintage, anything) to regular tweed Bassman (thinking of the traditional 5F6-A) and the Bandmaster? Or at least give me some points on their main differences...

Thanks to all...

All the best!

2. Roe

Roe Member

Hi,

found this on telecaster.com:

The Bassman 5E6-A has a circuit that is similar to the low power Twin, but the 5F6 utilizes a totally different phase inverter. The 5E7 Bandmaster(3X10) is more similar to the low power Twin than is the 5F6 Bassman. The preamp sections on these amps are all similar, but the PI circuit changes to the long-tailed pair with the advent of the 5F6 schematic in the Bassman. There is a difference in the rectifier sections, also. The 5E6-A Bassman and the 5D8 Twin utilize dual 5U4G rectifiers. The 5F6 Bassman uses an 83 and the all-time fave 5F6-A uses a GZ34 for rectification. The 5E7 Bandmaster uses a single 5U4G..maybe that is what I like about it. The rectifier sag allows it to sing a bit more. The other amps have beefed up rectification and therefore less sag.
    That said, I agree with Tim that any of these amps would cover the territory that you are playing in.

3. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Thanks, Roe.

That was actually my main doubt. I was under the impression that two rectifier tubes would mean even more sag. I guess the PI topology can't be ignored :eek: (but I don't know squad about that :D ) and I also would guess that the different transformers play a signifcant role in that matter, am I right? As fas as I know the bandmaster is the one that has the least beefier transformers....

Thanks.

Anyone else?

4. ES350

ES350 Member

The long tail PI will get you more clean headroom (IMHO, the weak point in the 5E7/5E5A/5E8A topology). While some people like this about these particular models for the distortion characteristics, it is anyone's guess why Fender didn't use the long tail PI in the 5E8A Twin after the expense of a bigger PT and an extra rectifier if they were designing for maximum clean power. The dual rectifiers will definitely give you less 'sag'; my '56 Twin is a very dynamic amp that doesn't sog up like most other tweeds. I would bet that some 50's SoCal steel players had some input in the design...

The nice thing about this tube compliment is the ability to pull or swap rectifiers (within reason) to alter the response of the amp. At least you know you have the current capacity with a PT designed for dual 5U4's...

5. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I had a two holer for years. It was loud, and ferocious! You could play metal on the thing (not that i know anything about metal, but ya get the idea). Bottom end would just kick and kick. I found it a bit less forgiving than the later 50's Bassmans i've played, but these amps vary from example to example.
    It was much different than the Bandmaster, to me. Louder, crisper, more balls, not as "furry".

6. ES350

ES350 Member

yeah---I loaded that Twin with V30's for a while and it sounded like a prehistoric Marshall when you wound it up. If you are looking for the 'demolition derby' swampy tweed sound, this is not the amp for you (think more Jimmy Bryant...).

7. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Thank you so much for your replys.

My guess is to stick to the Bandmaster. From what you've been describing the two rectifier Bassman has more of a Twin feel to it and the Bandmaster would be closer to the lower powered tweeds, with more sag and all, am I right?

Thanks a lot.

All the best!

8. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Your reply came when I as writing mine. Still it only added to the same conclusions I came from the other replies. Thanks.

Keep'em coming....

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Make sure you try this one! Maybe the best sounding amp I have ever played. Just not tons of headroom that I need a lot.

The Bruno Tweedy Pie 35 is loaded with the highly sought after tweed tone of 1955. Using this famous dual rectifier tone as a starting point, Tony has massaged and refined the sound to near perfection. This amp has sweet highs, nice warm midrange and full blooming bass notes with excellent touch sensitivity and dynamics. At lower volume settings it has thick clean tones, but crank it up and the Tweedy Pie delivers rich harmonics and superb distortion.
    It features 35 watts of dual 6L6 power, 3 - 12AX7s, and 2 - 5U4 rectifiers. The cabinet is constructed of solid pine for its sweet brightness and then fine tuned with a birch ply baffle for superb resonance. Finger-jointed construction is used just like the finest furniture which provides a very strong, extremely rigid, rattle free cabinet that will last a lifetime.

10. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Thanks, Tag.

Actually the Tweed Pie 35 is the amp that originally turned my head towards the dual rectifier designs. Sadly, I won't be able to play them here in Brazil nor would be able to afford one. Also I don't foresee a trip to the states anytime soon. There's actually a great, very reputable, local builder that's tweed oriented all the way. He's building my Tremolux right now and I'll see how it goes. The idea was to get him to build something like this.

Still I think I should stick to the Bandmaster which seems to be the 'stock' circuit that will work the best for me. A 5E6-A design should require more 'massage' as you called it to get the amp to sound like I want it to.

Thanks y'all.

Let's have more, please....

11. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

One more thing. What do you guys think about using a Bandmaster 5E7 spec'd OT or alike to build the 5E6-A Bassman?

Plus, I read somewhere that one can always just remove one of the rectifiers. Is that right? What would happen to tone and feel? Sag?

Thanks y'all...

12. ES350

ES350 Member

A cool variant would be a 5E7 (readily available in kit form) with a long tail phase inverter; the amp that never was. A little more clean headroom and volume with the same major components...

13. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

That sounds to be something to try, right? Cool thing about this forum is that instead of narrowing your options you actually broaden it even more :NUTS !

Thanks for all info, ES350. Really nice.

:BEER