• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Dual Recto vs mini Recto

Axe-Man

I have the chance to pickup either a mini Recto or a Dual Recto 100watter. They are priced similarly though the DR is a little more but not a huge amount.

I believe the 3ch Recto plays better at home volumes than the older one and is more flexible. I've owned a Rectoverb 25 and really liked it.

I'm just not sure what to go for. Some people say the big recto's sound way better than the little ones but they are not easy to cart around for small jams and won't obviously play at baby sleeping volumes like the mini will. Plus the mini is likely loud enough for 90% of uses and is simple to move.

Downside with the small rectos is that they don't sound great through little cabs so it kind of defeats the purpose. You're going to be lugging an OS 2x12 or a 4x12 to make them sound 'right'.

I'm not quite sure which way to jump atm.

Big and loud and not probably that good down low but a killer boosted brootz tone.

Smaller and portable and still pretty loud, excellent down low but probably not quite as good a boosted brootz tone. Definitely not that big sounding or aggressive.

That's the main importance for me. The aggro.

Oh, the pain!

The War Lock

Hi friend.

As a previous owner of a Mini Recto for a couple of years or so, I have to tell you that the quality of the amp volume wise for bedroom use is not better than the bigger ones i ve had, for the same bedroom purpose.

My advice, go for the big one.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
Both amps need to be loud to get their best tones - sorry, "thems the breaks".

If you had a rectoverb 25, then you sort of already had the mini-rec - did you like it ro the tones of the bigger rec better?

Personally I preferred the mini rec - the large rec I feel like I need to turn the bas knob to OFF, where on the EL84 mini rec I could turn it up to 10 o'clock at least. I also found the mini-rec to be slightly more "in your face" than the rectoverb, FWIW.

MmcGrouty

There's no contest. The dual is a much better sounding amp. I had the mini for a while, hoping that I could get the rectifier sound at low volume. Didn't happen. I ended up selling it at a loss and buying a dual. The dual actually sounds better at low volume than the mini. I wouldn't say the mini is a "bad" sounding amp, it just doesn't sound like a rectifier.

Axe-Man

Cheers guys.

I owned a 2 ch previously and it was hopeless for home so it didn't last long. Devastatingly loud. I could not get that amp to play low.

The ROV25 sounded great even super quiet. Was awesome through a 4x12 and loud enough.

I've heard the 3ch are better at low volume and have a good clean ch too.

The 3ch is the amp I'd like to get if it could work out as it's the real deal.

Phletch

Do not get the Mini Rec if you're expecting a smaller version of a big Rec. The smaller tranny and small bottles just won't bring "the brootz", as you call it, at any volume like the big Recs do; people expecting the same thing from the Mini are usually disappointed. The Mini Rec brings more mids and grind to the party, and it really has a completely different character. It's its own amp with its own thing, and it wants to be turned up. It also "won't obviously play at baby sleeping volumes" very well at all; I don't know where you got that idea. Maybe it's just my Mini Rec, but on the OD channel, especially on "modern" it goes from quiet (which really doesn't sound all that great) to holy ****!! with a slight bump of the volume knob; it's a bit of a hair trigger. The clean channel and clean setting aren't like that at all; very manageable at low volumes.

The Mini Rec is intended to get some power section clipping involved in the OD. That's the real reason for its low wattage and the wattage selector switch, not to make it quieter. I think perhaps, despite its heritage, metal is where the Mini Rec is weakest. I play bluesy, jazzy stuff and classic rock in a power trio, and the Mini is perfect for what I do and how I play - low to medium gain OD with LOTS of volume. It also records very well.

My advice is to get the big Rec and use the channel master effectively, maybe get an attenuator if you can't manage that effectively.

Axe-Man

The ROV25 with a boost through a 4x12 was the business for sure.

It was an awesome baby sleeping in the next room amp. Fantastic MV in that.

I didn't like it clipped; it lost all of its clarity for metal.

I guess I just have to try the big amp and see. I don't want another attenuator. Vol pot in the loop maybe if the MV is terrible.

Mtnbkr123

I very well may have my head shoved straight up my a$$ on this but to my ears, my Mini Recto sounds searingly, sizzlingly delicious at lower volumes. I don't often use the first channel but both Vintage and Modern, in either triode or pentode mode, sound really really impressive, to me at least. All that said, I never go much past 11 o'clock on the gain. I am using a Recto 2-12 vertical slant cab.

Looks like I may now be in the market for a Dual as well, if the Dual is that much better.

Holy crap. I just bought that Recto Mini and cab, then I immediately bought an AC40 from a buddy that I don't even have yet, and I am really pondering not only a 5e3 now (prompted largely by another thread), but a Dual Recto too. This place is killing me financially but damn, am I having a blast.

The Captain

Cheers guys.

I owned a 2 ch previously and it was hopeless for home so it didn't last long. Devastatingly loud. I could not get that amp to play low.

The ROV25 sounded great even super quiet. Was awesome through a 4x12 and loud enough.

I've heard the 3ch are better at low volume and have a good clean ch too.

The 3ch is the amp I'd like to get if it could work out as it's the real deal.
You needed to engage the effects loop to make the MV work properly. But yeah, they are f'ing loud.
I have a Mini at present, mainly for convenience for travel, and it was heaps cheaper here in Oz. It's close enough through the right cab for most applications and then clean channel is awesome. It lacks the RAW channel which I love on the big Recto, badly under-rated tone from that setting.

The Captain

I very well may have my head shoved straight up my a$$ on this but to my ears, my Mini Recto sounds searingly, sizzlingly delicious at lower volumes. I don't often use the first channel but both Vintage and Modern, in either triode or pentode mode, sound really really impressive, to me at least. All that said, I never go much past 11 o'clock on the gain. I am using a Recto 2-12 vertical slant cab.

Looks like I may now be in the market for a Dual as well, if the Dual is that much better.

Holy crap. I just bought that Recto Mini and cab, then I immediately bought an AC40 from a buddy that I don't even have yet, and I am really pondering not only a 5e3 now (prompted largely by another thread), but a Dual Recto too. This place is killing me financially but damn, am I having a blast.
I would recommend my therapist, but after our first session, he got GAS and went out and bought two new guitars and has three boutique amps on order.

Axe-Man

How do you find the cleans on the mini vs the big Recto? What model do you have?

I'm looking at the 3 ch but not multiwatt.

I like nice cleans and felt the old 2 ch cleans were pretty avg. The ROV25 had absolutely lovely cleans.

I think what I found with the ROV25 was that with a small cab, the mid forward nature came to the fore too much which is realistically how they designed it. The little tubes can't push bucket loads of low end so they push the mids harder.

But though a massive cab it sounded just like a Recto should so it's all based on how you use it for to the tone to sink or to shine.

I personally can't handle insane overbearing bottom end like some go for (I've played bass and that's the bass players job anyway). I'm more of a Jose Marshall bottom end guy (tight and defined and 'enough') so I found the ROV25 fine with the appropriate cab.

It's just that nth degree aggro that has my interest piqued. The small recto's are definitely far more useful day to day!

You needed to engage the effects loop to make the MV work properly. But yeah, they are f'ing loud.
I have a Mini at present, mainly for convenience for travel, and it was heaps cheaper here in Oz. It's close enough through the right cab for most applications and then clean channel is awesome. It lacks the RAW channel which I love on the big Recto, badly under-rated tone from that setting.

The Captain

I probably don't analyse things as much as some.
I had a 3 channel Recto 50/100, before the low wattage switching came ni. I had 2 actually. I don't really know why I sold either. I played the first one through myH&K quad wiht Greenbacks, and it was awesome. The second time I bought a Mesa 2x12 horizontal cab wiht V30's, which I never liked. I think that's why I sold the amp. I should have just turfed the cab.
The clean channel on those older Recto's was not well regarded, but I didn't mind it. I had a Lonestar at the time for reference, but I'm not Blackface obsessed, preferring a Marshall style clean anyway.
I can usually tweak the eq to get the sound I like.
I agree, and have posted before, that when people are obsessing over their amp, it might be the speaker/cab combo that they really need to look at.
Lee Anderton has made some interesting comments about that.
Example, every amp I have plugged into my quad sounds awesome, except a Hot Cat 30, which sounded so thin and screechy it was ridiculous.
I use a 1x12 wiht an EVM-12L when I travel, but a greenback or G12M65 would be better. I might build another one and do that sometime.
I find the Mini-REc chunks well enough when I want it to.

How do you find the cleans on the mini vs the big Recto? What model do you have?

I'm looking at the 3 ch but not multiwatt.

I like nice cleans and felt the old 2 ch cleans were pretty avg. The ROV25 had absolutely lovely cleans.

I think what I found with the ROV25 was that with a small cab, the mid forward nature came to the fore too much which is realistically how they designed it. The little tubes can't push bucket loads of low end so they push the mids harder.

But though a massive cab it sounded just like a Recto should so it's all based on how you use it for to the tone to sink or to shine.

I personally can't handle insane overbearing bottom end like some go for (I've played bass and that's the bass players job anyway). I'm more of a Jose Marshall bottom end guy (tight and defined and 'enough') so I found the ROV25 fine with the appropriate cab.

It's just that nth degree aggro that has my interest piqued. The small recto's are definitely far more useful day to day!

pooshoes

After having both a few years ago I sold the mini recto and kept the Dual Rec 100w head. Granted I did audition them through a 4x12, maybe try them both through the cab you want to use it with first. 1x12s or 2x12s may differ.

The Dual was way more defined and rich sounding. Many more switching options too. The mini rectifier was loud and got the job done but not quite there for me.

I did the same thing with the MarkV and the MarkV:25 this year and kept the Mark V:25...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom