Dual Teror vs Mini Rectifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by crosse79, Jan 24, 2012.

1. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Anyone tried both already? What's your opinion? I am looking for a small amp and these 2 seems to be on the shortlist. I don't have a chance to really test them.

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Apples and Oranges. I owned both.....still have the Mini Recto. The clean is better than my old LSS, and the Pushed Clean is pure Rock & Roll. The EL84 twist on the Rec Tone is killer. And...the Mini has an FX Loop.

Mesa is coming out with Swappable Face Plates for them too, so you can have the standard Chrome, or Red or Blue. BTW, Mesa is also coming out with FX Pedals, and they have a Recto Pedal in the Pipe Line!

3. Release

Release Member

Sorry to derail the three for a seconds, but...

DGTCrazy: Really??? When is this supposed to happen???

4. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Wow - that's news to me!

BTW, I heard quite a number of clips on you tube - the Orange seems to do vintage hod-rodded Marshall sounds better. It sounds - warmer and more organic. However, it doesn't seem to be able to do modern gain. Is this your experience?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  5. DGTCrazy

Well....I don't have the exact date, but the impression I was left from the designer was by Summer. Our kids are in the same Boy Scout Troop, and we were building Tool Boxes out of Mesa 13 Ply Baltic Birch last night....LOL

6. Release

Release Member

7. DGTCrazy

Again...it's the Flavor you're after. I'm not so sure I'd say the Orange is more "organic", but that's a real subjective term I suppose. The Pushed Clean on the Mesa sounds more Vintage to me though. And it does the Hi-Gain Rec tone wonderfully....!

In the interest of Full Disclosure, I've owned a lot of Mesa amps (FWIW they are built about 5 minutes away from where I live)....so I like, and am very comfortable, and used to their sound. My experience with Orange is limited to the Tiny Terror, Dual Terror and Rocket-Verb.

8. crosse79

crosse79 Member

OK, cool. I did manage to try the mini rectifier - and was pretty impressed. Especially the pushed channel 1 and also the vintage channel 2.

9. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

Haven't tried the dual, but I did own a tiny terror and still own the mini recto. The tiny terror was kinda a one trick pony but it was a great trick. Wasn't modern high gain like the mini rec can do but more classic voiced and very British sounding to me. The mini rec is going to be a lot more versatile IMO. Dgt statement are right on, can do clean to mean and does them all very well.

10. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

The issue in Aus is that I can buy THREE Orange amps, (say the TT, Dark Terror and new #4 Jim Root Terror) for the price of ONE Mini Recto...for the money I know what I'd personally go with.

11. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

This is true, however, I could buy three cheap digital delays for the price of my Damage Control Timeline... ;)

I have not tried the dual terror, but have tried the Tiny Terror, and well, it just sounded like an ungly fizz/buzz box to me. Personally, I don't understand why people like them...

I have not tried the mini recto, but if reports are to be believed and it sounds like its big brother, there is no comparison. The mini recto is the way to go.

12. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

You got a bad Tiny Terror.....I own the Dual Terror and it rocks. I have never met a Mesa I liked.

13. VONG

VONG Member

I have a Dual Terror and a Mesa Nomad 45. I think they both rock...the Orange does have an unmistakable warmth to it. It's my go-to amp.

Listen to Wolfmother's albums...these tones are great examples of the DT's sound. I think that dude uses a Rockerverb or something bigger, but that's a credit to the DT.

14. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Actually isn't the Dark Terror based on the TH-series line of preamps?

15. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

The Tiny Terror is cool if you wanna paint your world orange for a while on the cheap. Kinda one dimensional, but fun.
    I feel the same way about most Mesa amps, just not for me. But I have to admit, that little mini rec is a po'd little sucker with some nice cleans. I would own it.

I believe you are correct.
    I tried one, reminded me of a distortion pedal, like an EHX metal muff.

16. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia

hehehe of course the Orange will do your "vintage hot-rodded Marshall sound" better.

Mesa don't try to copy anyone - they have their own great tones goin.
    And a Recto has it's own legend status.

If all your after is Marshall tones then Marshall does it better than Orange :huh
    The major issues with these little Orange amps of course is the ordinary cleans, no independent EQs for both channels, no reverb and the lack of versatility

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  17. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Yeah - the price point is a whole lot different for both these amps too. So far I am inclined more towards the Mesa.

18. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Just to add more wood to the fire... you could also look into something like a Carvin Legacy 3. It has 3 channels, multi-watt options, midi control, it is rack mountable, and I think it is cheaper than both the orange and the mesa.

I am a mesa guy, so I still give the edge to the mini recto, but it seems as though this year will bring several good competitors at that price range.

19. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

It really does sound like the Mini Recto is a great amp but yeah there is some very tough competition.

The Legacy 3 would be my personal pick dollar for dollar. It's got verb, is 100 watts, is rack mountable, has 3 channels and midi control for $999USD. I want one.

20. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

I think there's almost a philosophical split when it comes to these two companies. Mesa and Orange both make great, great products with distinctive sounds. Orange amps are very British, have sort of a vintage/organic feel, and have simple setups. Mesas are more versatile with more controls, more clean headroom, and a unique modern sound. An Orange will usually sound warmer/creamier; a Mesa will usually sound smoother and more massive.

Personally, I'm an Orange user, but I love listening to people play through Mesas. It just comes down to personal preference.