Duane Allman, in what pedal?

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I played through one once, and that "chirp" was definitely there. If I was going to be playing Duane's stuff all night, I would go for it. But I need to cover Billy, Toy, Gary, Dickey and Allen too!
I’m so busy using David Grissom as a beacon I’m covered with the scumbacks lol

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
50 watts, Les Paul, JBL, turn it up.

I always thought Duane had the bright biting trebly tone, while Dickey had the warm woman-tone happening. That's what Dickey had happening when I saw the Allman's back in 1990. Warren had the trebly bite.

Exactly opposite while Duane was living. Betts tone changed to the warm tone on Brothers and Sisters (and Highway Call) after Duane’s death.

Last edited:

diego.fresh

Lol, this thread started 8 years ago!!

I actually stopped chasing Duane's tone, but built a solid rig for my Southern Rock band that gets me classic tones I need to cover Allmans/Skynyrd/ZZ Topp/Marshall Tucker.

Les Paul replica into Lovepedal Vintage/Modern into Durham Sex Drive into a Ceriatone JMP Bass Plexi 1986 circuit. That goes into an old, rusty VHT Cab loaded with a Scumback 55hz 12" 30 w.

The Goldtop is loaded with ThroBak 101s, the Sunburst is loaded with OX4 Hot Duanes. The Sunburst is in Open E for the "Duane" slide stuff I cover..
That old can of Budweiser seems critical to the tone.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member

I actually stopped chasing Duane's tone, but built a solid rig for my Southern Rock band that gets me classic tones I need to cover Allmans/Skynyrd/ZZ Topp/Marshall Tucker.

Les Paul replica into Lovepedal Vintage/Modern into Durham Sex Drive into a Ceriatone JMP Bass Plexi 1986 circuit. That goes into an old, rusty VHT Cab loaded with a Scumback 55hz 12" 30 w.

The Goldtop is loaded with ThroBak 101s, the Sunburst is loaded with OX4 Hot Duanes. The Sunburst is in Open E for the "Duane" slide stuff I cover..
I see the stop tail on the 'burst. I keep thinking I want that setup. A wraparound and humbuckers.

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
I‘d just use a drri, an upgraded speaker that can overdrive well, a delay to create some space in the sound and a Bogner lagrange. Crank the amp three quarters of the way up. Practice the licks a lot.

MesaTone

I highly recommend trying a Weber CV124F, a bit of CV/JBL without the harsh spike, a tad of Fane Purple, and 100 watts. This is what they all would have been using back then if it had been available. For the cost of a pedal it will change your world.

pulse.

Gold Supporting Member
I highly recommend trying a Weber CV124F, a bit of CV/JBL without the harsh spike, a tad of Fane Purple, and 100 watts. This is what they all would have been using back then if it had been available. For the cost of a pedal it will change your world.
I see that they make a ceramic and an alnico version, which one is the one you have?

StompBoxBlues

Man, I know there are more Duane and ABB aficionados than me, but I have obsessed over this too.
I find a lot of things, and could be totally wrong on all of them. It’s a feel thing.

That said, the one thing live at Fillmore east guitar sound is (and I’m including Dickey Betts here too, his tone was close but here I think it is playing style that makes it slightly different…both are great!) to me is SAG!!!!

Or more specific, bloom. To me their guitars sound like the nirvana, once in a lifetime balance where when they hit a note softly it sounds clean, dig in and it suddenly sounds like a harmonica doing a bend and with excellent control. That’s it, I was listening, after a million times listening to the album, and it hit me like a ton of bricks…the guitar sounds just like a harmonica played by an excellent player. The notes bloom, are sometimes sharp, sometimes honky, but whenever the strings are hit fairly hard, they bloom if given time, but if it is a fast blur of notes, you don’t hear it as much.

So for me, it is really important (beside the given of trying to play as Duane or Dickey) is that the gain structure is such that it is on the line, dig in hard in the strings and it’s way out there and OD of a basic nature, but back off and you can do the first notes of the solo in “Stormy Monday” which to me is the ultimate on the edge setting. He plays 5 notes ( plus some hammer ons) very lightly and it’s beautiful. Then digs in and man…fattens up the tone and…wow.

I think too “Live at Fillmore East“ was also a once in a lifetime, or maybe millenium sound. I’ve heard recordings of the same band in smaller venues, or other venues not long before or after and though they sound great, it isn’t THIS sound. I’m not sure they could get the Fillmore East sound no matter what, whenever. I think they are like was all experiences, a night playing where everything was aligned and it was perfect.

Which makes me think, don’t try and get that exact sound, get the feel and close to it, but don’t get hung up on the differences.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
If you listen to the isolation tracks vs the songs, it's amazing to me how different they are and how well it blends together given it's isolation tone. I'd do that as well. Sounds like an exciting project.

donfrantz

Yo! You stealin’ all the cool.

Hey, for your Open E slide setup, how high and what gauge are your strings? Working on Midnight in Harlem which has such a beautiful part by Derek Trucks!

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
Hey, for your Open E slide setup, how high and what gauge are your strings? Working on Midnight in Harlem which has such a beautiful part by Derek Trucks!

I use 10s on everything. Action is what I would call "medium high", slight bow to the neck too..

My other band does TTB classics (Midnight in Harlem, Let Me Get By and Anyhow). While they are all challenging (Derek is a monster player, so hard to mimic, much more complex than Duane), Midnight in Harlem is the hardest of the three...

MesaTone

I see that they make a ceramic and an alnico version, which one is the one you have?
Weber doesn't list the CV124F, which is a variation on the CV123. It's a ceramic CV123 with an LHDC dust cap instead of the CV123 plastic cap. Huge difference in tone. Send an email to Weber and tell them you want to order a CV124F and how to do it.

I've been fighting with them for months now to list the CV124F. It is hands down the best guitar speaker ever made. Not for mid-suck country or nothing-but-metal, but everything in between, from 1950 to 2022. All the old greats would have been using this speaker, and anyone today that cares about tone.

To simulate a clean/dirty rig in one cab, pair it with an Emi Delta. Not Duane-ish, but something better.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
Dickey's got a more Country and even 'bop' or swing feel to his lead and such. I can pick them out pretty well. His tone is a bit honkier as well. I will put on my asbestos underwear and confide that Dickey's my favorite in that band.
Same here. Always liked Dickey's overall playing and tone better on Live at Fillmore East.

I believe Missing Link makes at least one pedal based on his sound.

I've tried lots of Marshall style boxes including my new favorite the La Grange which is great but I'm going to be weird and say personally, I prefer the JOYO American Sound. It doesn't make sense since it's supposed to emulate other amps, but I honestly feel the drive character has that perfect balance between fuzziness and articulation in it. Plus the EQ is so versatile you could dial it in with almost any guitar with humbuckers.

Jr Deluxe

The exact duane tone wont get you the gig. Playing like duane might. The tone is irrelevant unless it's just totally wrong. Just be ready to play loud and mostly distortion free. It's the allmans not molly hatchet.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom