Duane Allman Slide Guitar Wackage from Dallas Club Gig Last Week

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Guitar Dave T, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Here's another cheap-mic-in-the-crowd recording of some Corciden bottle slide work last Saturday night.

http://www.guitardavetaylor.com/Wheels Off Slide II 2008-07-12.mp3

Mix isn't great because the mic was closer to the other side of the stage, but you can still hear everything.

I wasn't intentionally trying to copy Duane's licks, but when you've been a huge ABB fan as long as I, it's hard not to play what you've heard so many times.

Guitar: '61 SG RI, stock '57 Classic Pickups
    Amp: '93 Fender Blues Deluxe w/Celestion V30 speaker
    Extension Cab: Home made, deep cabinet, closed back with Celestion G12H30 speaker
    Effect: Jetter Gain Stage Black

This was a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy!

2. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Hello Duitar Dave....

I'll say a very exciting clip for slide playing tone and group effort!

Kudos to your drummer et al.

D. Allman is someone I've always looked up to for tone, creativity etc.

I play a different style of music, but I have tried to incorporate his slide style into my left hand fingering.

I started by just copying the slide licks...but got tired of fretting out on my low action so, lost the slide... but tried for the same effect with my fingers.

Sound weird?

Heres an example: http://www.atozclean.com/Media/MoBie_1.mp3

Anyway must be nice to have that band! Must sound good live.

3. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

sounds great. I am comin down to ft worth the beginning of august would love to check you guys out.Mike

4. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Thanks, Mike. Maybe you can extend your stay - our next group effort show is 8/22 at the infamous Hole in The Wall in Dallas. Meanwhile, I have some other dates/other groups coming up I'll try to post up.

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Sweet, Carl! Thanks...

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Thanks! I played slide in the 70's, but really sucked at it. Played on a couple of regular rotation Bonnie Raitt tunes through the last 20 years, but didn't decide to really get back into it until a couple years ago.

I'm still learning, but am finally getting close to decent pitch. It's a never ending lesson.

Now I've got a spare guitar tuned to open D I'm experimenting with. Lots of fun.

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yo Dave ... that was very musical ... totally dug it ...

Saw that you used the Gain Stage Black ... how would you describe that Jetter version?

9. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Thanks, Joseph. The Jetter Black "Lite" is a slightly upgraded version of the original Black prototype, and I just absolutely love it. Very Plexi oriented, with 0 compression. By itself, I can get some cool Clapton JTM45 tones; When goosing it with a clean boost, it makes my Fender amp sound like a cranked Plexi half-stack, at a manageable restaurant/bar level.

Right now, Brad Jetter plans to offer this pedal as a "double wide" - two Black "Lite's" built into one pedal so you can use the first as a warm boost (this also does a KILLER warm boost, much nicer to my ears than the Xotica AC booster), and the second dialed up to a more old-school Plexi tone. It is in its final stages of production and will be called the GS3 pedal.

I've never played through a pedal that came so close to the sound of my old 50 watt plexi half stack at won't-get-you-fired volumes.

Of course, I still miss those 4 12" greenbacks pumping all that air and bottom end.

10. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

Sounds great. I'm an awful slide player myself but I love how it sounds through my cranked Super Reverb.

11. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Oh hell yes! Listen to Derek Trucks to hear some amazing slide playing through a Super Reverb.

With a rig like that, keep at it and the slide playing will come naturally sooner than later.

BTW, like Derek and Duane before them, I've also found the 61-65 style SG to be almost custom made for slide, from the solid but thin mahogoney slab that gives you almost a blues harp tone, to the thin body that allows you to see the frets almost from a front angle when sliding, to the almost limitless fret access.

12. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

Yeah, Derek was actually who inspired me to get a SR. And I've been thinking about getting a cheap Epi SG to learn and mess around with slide.

13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Ok choice, but you might hold out for a Gibson, Orville or Greco made in Japan. The neck on the Epiphones are nothing like the wide/thin neck that comes on the orginal, and IMHO, that adds a lot to the reedy quality of the slide tone.

Whatever you get, the Gibson 57 Classic pickups are actually really good choices for SG's, IMHO. DiMarzzio PAF Classics are also very good, and they won't break the bank.

14. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

damn fine slide work bro!

15. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Thanks, Blues! Like I said, I wasn't deliberately trying to cop Duane's riffs note-for-note, but it appears the lead intro comes directly from "At Fillmore East".

When you listen to and still appreciate Duane Allman for 38 years, it's sometimes hard NOT to play it.

BTW, I'm currently rereading Randy Poe's excellent biography, SkyDog, The Duane Allman Story. Get it if you haven't read it yet.