Duane Allman - Statesboro Blues Tone

smokermaker

Silver Supporting Member
I'm more interested in the amp, since there's no way I can get anywhere close to the guitar. I play lapsteel these days, so I'm pretty much set on that.
The 50 amp heads are bass spec plexis? No pedals on any kind, I'm guessing? I don't remember ever hearing any mentioned...

smokermaker

Silver Supporting Member
I just saw on the interweb they said he used the SG on Statesboro. I have no knowledge, either way. Is that the Dickey Betts 'red guitar' that Charlie Daniels sang about? The website said Dickey gave it to Duane so he wouldn't have to keep re-tuning it.

71strat

Duanes speakers at the Fillmore Concert were a combination of Celestion G12H x 30 watt x JBL D120Fs in open backs. These were his main speakers until later. He switched to Cerwin Vega. But still also used the Celestions.

I like is JBL/Celestion sound best. Betts was strictly JBL D120Fs.

Last edited:

bob-i

I believe that is incorrect. Duane used the Les Paul throughout the recording. You can hear him detune from open E after one of the slide songs.

i don't think so. I was at the Fillmore during the first show and I also saw the allmans with Duane one other time at the Fillmore earlier. If memory serves me right, Duane played the SG during the recording. Remember there were 3 shows recorded so it's possible that I saw a show where the cut wasn't used, it's also possible I'm remembering the wrong show.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I just saw on the interweb they said he used the SG on Statesboro. I have no knowledge, either way. Is that the Dickey Betts 'red guitar' that Charlie Daniels sang about? The website said Dickey gave it to Duane so he wouldn't have to keep re-tuning it.

I think the red guitar he sang about was a Les Paul.

Edit: yep a 57

Last edited:

bob-i

Duanes speakers at the Fillmore Concert were a combination of Celestion G12M x 30 watt x JBL D120Fs in open backs. These were his main speakers until later. He switched to Cerwin Vega. But still also used the Celestions.

I like is JBL/Celestion sound best. Betts was strictly JBL D120Fs.

I remember seeing dickies silver domes, and not on duanes. It's possible that I couldn't see both cabs clearly, it was a very crowded stage.

bob-i

I read later that the SG was not actually Dickie's but Greg's.

71strat

I'm pretty sure this was taken after the 70 Fillmore concert, and was still using JBLs. Although its possible he could have switched out at any time, so with no photos of Fillmore, its not out if the question he used CVs, but this is after Fillmore concert in 70.

smokermaker

Silver Supporting Member
I see some JBL's in that open back cab, and some Marshall heads all around it.:love:

I have a Marshall 50 watt bass clone and a 15" JBL D130F cab in my storage unit...:idea

My brand new Power Station2 might just be the ticket with that combo.

71strat

Ive been using 2 x Hemp Coned/A Brown Soun JBL E120s in 1 x 12 Ported cabs made specifically for the E120s with a Metro LTD ED GMP45 for over 2 years with KILLER RESULTS.

Id never let anyone tell me JBLs cant/don't sound great. E Series incl.

SRV used E Series 130s, and E120 x E110s. Its all in the EQ setting and if you use pedals the right 1s. Usually 1s with a lot of mids as all JBLs have great Highs/Lows. Its true the later E Series is more neutral sounding in the Mids vs K/DFs, and is harder in the Highs, and has HUGE Lows.

But all this allows me to really drive a lot of mids, and not have to worry about Highs/Lows as the JBLs have more than enough of both. A lot of the perceived Ice Pick is gone at stage volumes, and the JBLs are meant to be driven. You can also put tape over the speaker cloth, in front of the Dome to attenuate highs. You can also use EC Collins Grill Cloth to attenuate highs.

I used to run 4 x E120s in a Sound City cabinet, and it was the heaviest cabinet Ive ever seen. The SS cabinet itself is 1 1/2 inch thick, and makes a Marshall cab look like 1/4 inch pine. Its really to heavy. With 4 E120s it weighs in at over 220lbs. I got tired of lugging it around, and had 2 x 1 x 12s made. Ported, and Tuned for the E120s from the JBL Professional Enclosure Guide.

Tim at TRM Cabinets built the cabs.

Ive also been experimenting with 1 x E120, and 1 x Celestion Cream. 1 Alnico x 1 Ceramic. 1 Ported, 1 Semi Open 1/3 back.

I had the 1 x 12 cabs made with 3 piece backs, so I took a JBL out, put Cream in, and took off 1 back Panel, and left the Ports Open.

The Cream is not compatible with the JBL enclosure in ported configuration, but is perfect size for 1 Cream x 1/3 open back configuration. I can also seal off the ports and run sealed. But I don't.

Ive used JBLs/Altec/Cerwin Vega/Gauss since I got my 1st amp in 72.

I got a 4 bolt Oly Why Strat fall 71, and in 72 my Grandparents also bought me a 100 watt Carvin head x 2 x 15 Carvin cab loaded with CTS. It was a solid state amp.

I got the amp, cranked it, and Instantly blew the speakers. I was almost 14, and extremely disappointed. I waited 3 months for the amp but 9 months after I got the Strat. So I knew if a just replaced the speakers with the same 1s that came with it, as it had a Lifetime Warranty, the same thing would happen.

I knew Santana used Altec 417Cs in his Twin Reverbs/Early Boogies, so I figured 2 x 418Hs/Alnico, would be just as good. And I wasnt disappointed. I love Altecs too.

So I got GPs to buy me 2 x Altec Lansing 418Hs, and I still have them, and the Carvin cabinet. I got a 69 x Dual Showman in 73, and used it as my main amp until 2014. Although I did buy a 2001 Fender Cyber Twin, the 1st year they came out, and use it as a grab and go amp, and it its a killer amp. I put 2 Celestion Creams in it, and swapped out the 12ax7s EHX for 2 NOS Mullard 12au7 10M Gold Pins.

I also like to daisy chain the Metro/or Showman with the CT. The Showman was also completely gone over in 2010. Blackfaced, and an ODS Mod, and is a Fire Breather, and sounds 0 like a Fender with the mod on. It sounds normal with it off.

Stratoben127

Silver Supporting Member
First of all, the Fillmore concerts, if we're talking about the ones that made it on the record titled "At Fillmore East," took place in March of 1971, not 1970.

Some combination of modded (yeah, they weren't usually stock) 50 watt bass spec Plexis, Marshall 4x12s, Greenbacks, D120Fs, and PAFs made that sound. Speculating what exactly it was isn't going to get you anywhere but frustrated. There was no one rig. The amps and speakers blew every night and they would chain them up however they could to get through the gig with enough volume.

You need three things to get in the ballpark: a PAF style bridge pickup in a Gibson guitar with the tone control rolled halfway off, an amp cranked into power tube distortion, and a very efficient/clear speaker. I don't believe that Duane only used Greenbacks at those March shows in '71. I've heard the stories saying the silver domes weren't visible, but I've never heard any Greenbacks or any Celestion for that matter stay that biting and tight at such high volume.

For me, a '64 Deluxe Reverb with a D120F and a Dickey Betts signature model SG gets as close as anybody will ever need to get, asidd from having the same volume as the original tone. If I need to approximate Duane's tone at full stage volume, my SG or LP into my 50 watt Blackface style Alessandro head with a 4x10 cab will still do the trick because it's still the power tube drive/efficient speaker/PAF in a Gibson formula. It works.

Two years ago, Derek Trucks took Duane's Cherryburst and his 50 watt head from those Fillmore shows on the road. He played it through an old Marshall slant cab that George Alessandro set up to be open back with four D120Fs. It's a good way to hear Duane's rig in a modern context. Look up Tedeschi Trucks Band in Boston 2014, I believe.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Two years ago, Derek Trucks took Duane's Cherryburst and his 50 watt head from those Fillmore shows on the road. He played it through an old Marshall slant cab that George Alessandro set up to be open back with four D120Fs. It's a good way to hear Duane's rig in a modern context. Look up Tedeschi Trucks Band in Boston 2014, I believe.

I think he also recorded a few tracks on the Made Up Mind record with Duane's amp.

Stratoben127

Silver Supporting Member
I think he also recorded a few tracks on the Made Up Mind record with Duane's amp.

His solo on Idle Wind is through Duane's amp and Susan's leads on Whiskey Legs are too. Both songs have spring reverb added and no JBLs though, so it's a little different. The studio Idle Wind tone is one of my favorites ever.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
His solo on Idle Wind is through Duane's amp and Susan's leads on Whiskey Legs are too. Both songs have spring reverb added and no JBLs though, so it's a little different. The studio Idle Wind tone is one of my favorites ever.

I'll have to go back and listen again. Thanks for the info.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
I think the mix of the Celestion and JBL is the most important part of this tone. I think if you had the right speakers, you could use something like a JTM45 with a Timmy pedal (to adjust the EQ and gain) to approximate a 50w bass spec plexi. I've often thought that a good slide player (not me) could this tone through my Swart STR and a Timmy. When I play a Les Paul through that combination, it sounds like the Allmans without talent.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom