Duane Allman was...Left Handed?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Aug 20, 2019.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I could bat left or right, catch left or right, and throw left or right (although I favored my left on the last), and I seem to favor my right foot. I haven't tried left-handed scissors since I was really young, but at the time my hand would kind of pull the blades apart, if that makes sense.

2. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

That completely makes sense if you learned how to cut with right handed scissors first. Scissors are designed to have pressure pushing the blades together, and for that to work with right handed scissors, a lefty has to quickly figure out a non-conventional way of applying that pressure. If that's how you initially learned, doing it the "normal" way with lefty scissors would feel odd.

For me, scissors are another tool that I can get by with anything. Right handed, left handed, whatever. The only ones I don't like are the ones that have uniquely shaped handles that make them uncomfortable to use left handed. In those cases, I'll just cut with my right hand.

A-Bone likes this.
  3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I have the feeling that those people for whom eating with your fork in the left hand because of manners are also the people who have staff on hand to set their dinner table. While a proper dining setting may be "proper" I highly doubt that it is something that is normal procedure in most homes in America, not to mention the rest of the world. It seems like a highly upper crust British thing to me...I'm not opposed to it...I just don't think it's the norm in America...
    Same here...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Precisely.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I'm right handed but use my left with a fork. It's easier than swapping utensils cutting stuff so often I just keep it in my left hand.

Thinline_slim likes this.
  6. telest

telest Member

Seems like your dominant hand would be ideal for bending and vibrato control :aok

7. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

I’m right handed but eat with the fork in my left hand often.

8. beanbass

beanbass Member

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Another lefty here that plays right handed.

musicman1 likes this.
  10. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I'm also a lefty who plays right handed. I also naturally swing a baseball bat and golf club right handed but I throw lefty. The scissor thing in elementary school was almost torture. The left handed scissors were all worthless. Didn't any of the teachers try these things out?

11. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

Fork in the left hand is pretty common in England, among multiple demographics. It’s not just the super-wealthy. Not sure if it’s as common as it was 100 years ago though, but there’s still lot of folks in England who hold the fork in their left hand.

Was the the fork-in-the-left-hand dining technique ever the norm in other European counties? Or has that always been a strictly British/English thing?

12. ArthurS

ArthurS Member

Not just the UK; it’s the norm in The Netherlands, too (though Dutch etiquette states that an unused hand should rest on the table, not below - still no elbows allowed, though!)

PdL and Val Diaz like this.
  13. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

There are left-handed trumpets and violins.

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I'm looking for a left handed piano so I can play one with each hand...

friend33 likes this.
  15. handyman

handyman Member

Its not standard practice to ask a student's hand dominance when teaching them either instrument. You'll find a few examples of these instruments if you put effort into looking, but they're oddities.

Case in point: A bunch of violinists losing their minds at the idea of someone wanting to play left handed
    https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/8328/

A about a zillion string and brass player have gone through my wife's classrooms in the past decade. Not a one has played left handed, despite plenty of left handed players.

16. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Yep if cutting something my fork is in my left hand. May switch at times but knife is best in my right.

17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Yup, Duane Allman, proper English gentleman.

Signed,
    Another lefty playing righty.

Val Diaz and PdL like this.
  18. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Or he was trained in proper etiquette. I had a girl friend who used to kick me under the table because I would switch the fork from my right hand to my left to cut up my food, and then back to my right to eat.

19. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Same here

sickboy79 likes this.
  20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Once I realized that's what I did I started eating with the fork in my left hand...no GF kicking me, though ..