Duane Allman's "Live at the Fillmore" SG Sells For Over Half a Mil

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by greenybloomers, Jul 29, 2019.

1. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Fair enough. Maybe I need to do a little education on those albums. Have really never say down and listened to their albums. Just what pops on the radio.

2. sws1

sws1 Member

I don't think I heard the first few ZZ albums until about 3 years ago. I really only knew that 80s stuff, plus La Grange.
    Couldn't believe what I was missing. The sound of the first album is AMAZING.

3. Highnumbers

Highnumbers Member

That's not too surprising. The White Penguin is much rarer than the Falcon. It's estimated there are less than a dozen known examples that exist today (until the late 80s, it was thought this model was never actually made and was just included in a price list from the 50s.. until one surfaced with a dealer!).

Not that the Falcon is anything to sniff at, that one is an absolute beauty. They're rare too, but not made of pure unobtainium like the Penguin. I doubt anybody buying either of these guitars added much value due to the Gilmour connection, most people didn't realize he even owned these until the sale.

Mr Fingers, makeitstop and telelion like this.
  4. greenybloomers

greenybloomers Member

That’s very cool to hear. Between his tutorials on Bloomfield, Green, Gibbons, and Walsh, Jeff has covered some of my all-time favorite players, but for my money his best video for Reverb to date is the one on Ron Wood. It does a fantastic job of breaking down the little flourishes that make Ronnie such an under appreciated guitarist:

5. greenybloomers

greenybloomers Member

Are you at all familiar with this live version of “Brown Sugar?” It’s on a level of its own:

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I saw them in the late fall of 1970.. The SG was originally Dickey Betts Guitar...Dick was playing his Goldtop LP by then and Duane was playing his SG for slide open E stuff and his Darkburst LP for everything else..just sayin...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. Bob H.

Bob H. Member

I was at the Friday night show - think it was 3/12/71. The Allmans went on before Johnny Winter and blew the roof off the Fillmore East. Duane used only the Cherry Burst LP - for slide and non slide playing. I saw them again the weekend the Fillmore closed. Still no SG for Duane. He apparently now had Hotlanta - the Darkburst - but we didn’t learn that until much later.

8. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

telelion likes this.
  9. jiml

jiml Member

I think Dickey was using that SG in March of '71.

10. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Dickey was playing his first goldtop (not “Goldie”) on At Fillmore East. It was later refinished cherry sunburst, and given to Dan Toler. He hadn’t yet given (or sold...that’s not really clear) Duane the SG.

AFE is all LP.

11. Tiny Montgomery

Duane didn’t have the dark burst (“Hot ‘Lanta,” named after his death) OR the SG in 1970.

Fall of ‘71 is more likely.

Bob H. likes this.
  12. jiml

jiml Member

Yes, I was thinking of the video of them playing at the Fillmore East that WOR recorded before the famous shows. Dickey was playing an SG in that one, Duane was playing the darkburst.

13. Tiny Montgomery

Duane was playing the cherry sunburst LP (both at the September 1970 show on the video, and the March 1971 shows that comprised AFE) He got the dark burst after that, sometime in the summer of 1971, I think.

Dickey hadn’t been on the LP long, at the the March shows. It’s easier to do volume swells on an LP than an SG, as the knobs are closer. That’s my theory on the extended intro to “Liz Reed,” which is not on any 1970 version I’ve heard.

14. Bob H.

Bob H. Member

Nope. No SG the night I saw them in March and no SG in June when I saw them.

scienceguy and Tiny Montgomery like this.
  15. Dickey

Dickey Member

Never understood how "star power" could command such ridiculous prices. I mean; I might pay an extra $10 grand over value for something like Roy Buchanan's "Nancy", but if it wasn't a great guitar in the first place, I wouldn't be interested.

16. sws1

sws1 Member

Now imagine you are worth $500M+. That' $10k extra you'd pay becomes $1M.

thebowl likes this.
  17. thebowl

thebowl Member

It sounds as though you are very close to understanding it.

sws1 likes this.
  18. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

For the really high-end instruments--the very few, truly iconic ones, not most of the ones mentioned here--can still command big bucks because, well, the rich are getting richer, so the miniscule audience of collectors, essentially uber-wealthy old white dudes, can still afford to buy. At the level below that, and down to regular players who have regular incomes, I think prices will be driven down by disinterest and lack of value--fewer buyers care about these guitars--though kept up, to some extent, by the fact the population is growing and the instruments are not increasing. But I think the days are gone when somebody is going to fork over five figures for a player's grade vintage instrument when you can get an arguably more playable version, new or used, for a fraction of that amount. And add 25% for the auction? Ha!

19. sws1

sws1 Member

I see it all the time.