Duane Betts playing with Dawes

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by neils, Apr 23, 2015.

1. neils

neils Supporting Member

I if you saw Letterman Wednesday night you would have seen Dawes performing a song from the new LP. Also you'd have seen a second guitarist. I had no idea who he was.

Today I photographed Dawes at a live taping at a NY radio station. The second guitarist is Duane Betts. I was talking to him about his very nice very checked Goldtop. He was explaining the neck break and repair and mentioned it was his dad's signature prototype. Your dad I said? He turned it over and I saw on the headstock "DB" and it hit me as he was telling me just who his dad was.

2. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Having the name "Duane Betts" could create a lot of pressure on a guitar player!

3. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

4. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

5. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Wow,no kidding,,,,,,,

6. neils

neils Supporting Member

Very nice humble young man. He fits right in. Apparently he and Taylor have known each other and played a long time.

The before sound check noodling, playing over the chord changes for a song called " Don't send me away" showed he's very melodic and makes that neck pickup (set very low BTW) just sing like his daddy did.

Guitar, a little peddle reverb and CC delay into a Pro JR.

Neil

7. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

He has played in his dad's band for a long time now so he has learned a thing or two about a thing or two. The bass player with DB, Pedro, is awesome.

8. krislakin

krislakin Member

yeah this was cool. actually, Duane was one of the founding members of (the band now known as) Dawes. When they originally started the band it was called "Simon Dawes" - along with Roy Orbison's son Alex - this was back probably around 2002/2003ish in Malibu, CA. They played gigs around LA for years and I believe even toured. At the same time, Duane was also fronting the band Whitestarr, which was eventually signed by Atlantic, toured for a while with Kid Rock, etc. He is the greatest guy around - and a heck of a guitar player.

9. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

^yes, this

wheeloe66 likes this.
  10. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Love Dawes--they sound like an updated version of Firefall--didn't know about the Bettian connection!

11. slimdave

slimdave Member

Dawes also have a connection with Blake Mills...

12. neils

neils Supporting Member

Duane was in Simon Dawes? No sh@t. I had no idea. This was before or after Blake Mill?s

As much as I like Mills I think Duane is a better fit as a second or a first guitarist.

Neil

13. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Ya, right

14. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

Anyone know if he will be touring with them regularly in support of this new album? As far as I can tell he didn't record with them but I honestly don't know. I am a big Dawes fan and if anyone has more info I am all ears!

15. neils

neils Supporting Member

Dawes just released there touring for the spring/summer/fall. Tay told me today they have 10 days off between June and October. Busy men.

It sounded from the studio banter that Duane is on for these dates. Just hearing Taylor and Duane play off each other its gonna really be good

I hope to hit a real gig this year of theirs.

Neil

16. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

Thanks for that info neils! I am hoping to catch at least one show this year. Taylor is a great player in his own right, so I will be interested to see how they might utilize Duane.

17. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

the new dawes song sounds like ray davies

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Thanks for posting that. I meant to watch it but fell asleep. I like it!

19. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

I remember reading somewhere that the Dickey Betts model LP is hard to find and exceptionally well made

20. neils

neils Supporting Member

Know what else? Taylor and Duane were playing into Pro Jr. Amps. They were in the original cardboard boxes they ship in. My guess is Fender supplied them for these radio promo shows.

Taylor has played vox-ish amps, 5e3 type amps, Louis Electric etc. I've seen him 4 times with four different amps. Oh and I forgot those movie projector amps.

So was I surprised that he sounds like him. His Tele and his hands (and his board) and whatever amp he sounds like him.

His chords and when he hit a pedal for a lead it was clear who it was