Duane style slide in standard tuning...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by coolhand78, Apr 9, 2015.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

I'll preface this by saying I'm rubbish at slide... but i'm wanting to improve and i'm wondering if there are any decent resources out there for learning slide in standard tuning, preferably in the style of duane allman..? from what i can gather he played mostly in open E...?

2. steve13281

steve13281 Member

Paleolith54 likes this.
  3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

In addition to the Warren Haynes book, Geoff Hartwell has a wonderful instructional dvd on standard tuning slide. I met the guy and studied with him a bit a NGW a few years ago. Have the dvd. Good stuff.

http://www.geoffhartwell.com/products.html

Paleolith54 likes this.
  4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

An old Harmony guitar with action about an inch off the neck and a front porch is where I learned. No short-cuts.

Dave Orban likes this.
  5. johnnyelgato

johnnyelgato Member

Lil trick I use sometimes tune your high E Down to D. Then you can chord and do most most stuff you would normally, but you get the cool open G slide sound on the top four strings DGBD. Otherwise practice outlining major bar chords in the A shape, and penatontic scale with slide.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Do you have a guitar setup for slide? I've found that really helps. Of course, you can play slide on a guitar with an average, not super low, action but it's requires more care and practice

What kind of slide are you using? Does it fit your finger well?

Are you using a pick or fingers? What type of pick?

Have you tried playing in open E or D tuning? If so, have you learned some of the basic licks for it? There are a ton of videos on YouTube that show the basic blues slide stuff like Dust My Broom. That can help you get a feel for slide playing.

If you want to play in standard tuning, you might want to look at some open G lessons to get some ideas. Open G uses D-G-D-G-B-D so your 2-3-4 strings are the same as standard tuning. This makes it a bit easier to think about.

7. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

Truefire has a pretty good video by David Hamburger https://truefire.com/focus-on-guitar-lessons/standard-tuning-slide/watch/v24648
    They also have a video by Andy Aledort where he covers all the basics, open tunings, and standard tuning.
    As bgmacaw stated you have to have a guitar set up to play slide without the strings fretting out. For a Gibson scale length, go up to 11 gauge strings until you really get good control over the slide. As for slides, there are a lot of choices. I find the Moonshine porcelain slides work nicely for an electric guitar. If you want to try a brass slide, get an Acoustiglide slide. The Acoustiglide is designed for a acoustic or electric, with one side being heavier. It is a clever design. I do not know why, but most local music stores only carry the slides in a large ring size. I find medium or small work best for me.

8. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Warren really opened my eyes to standard-tuned slide, which is why I conceived this project. Mike Levine worked on this book also—he's a excellent slide player as well.

9. gennation

gennation Member

Open E, and follow the chords.

10. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

The OP asked about standard tuning. EADGBE. Playing slide in standard tuning.

That's how I learned. Listening to Allman Bros stuff back in the early 70's. I didn't know people retuned their guitars for slide. Plus I only had one guitar.
    Warren Haynes, as mentioned above is a good recommendation.

Dave Orban likes this.
  11. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Here is a VERY basic video I did on the subject of slide in standard tuning. I don't even get into the right hand (I use a pick sometimes, fingers, or both) but I cover what I would typically teach on "day one" in this department. For folks that notice the gear this is a real '59 LP that I've owned since the late 70s (when they were considerably cheaper than current reissues) albeit through a little Roland Micro Cube!

That said I plan to pick up Warren's book on this, so thanks for the link there!

GK

Edwood likes this.
  12. steve13281

steve13281 Member

Hey Arthur, I learnd a few licks from your statesboro blues lesson video on YouTube. Good stuff, thanks a lot man!

13. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

This was great, thanks man - i'm subscribed now!!

I found the intonation stuff really interesting, i'd never noticed that before, but so obvious when pointed out!!!!
    and what a guitar!!! man sounds killer..!

to answer some other questions from other posts,

1. I play with my fingers for slide
    2. I've tried other tunings open G, E, DADGAD but only have one guitar and I'm wanting to incorporate more slide into my band so this is forcing the issue of standard tuning, though i do like the idea of being able to seemlessly move between the two - JD Simo seems to do quite a good job of this..
    3. my guitar is an EJ strat, i generally have higher action and play 10's, i've got a few slides and am not completely green to playing slide, just looking for vids like Glen's, to get me goin' :)
    4. I actually have one of Warren's vids but i didn't find it that informative for the standard slide stuff - i might revisit it as i haven't watched it for a long time.

14. geoff_hartwell

geoff_hartwell Member

derekd likes this.
  15. heavydutysg135

heavydutysg135 Supporting Member

Can anyone advise as to how I could purchase this dvd as I keep getting a broken link when trying to purchase from that site? I have tried to email and message Geoff but have not been able to get a response. Thanks

16. PdL

PdL Supporting Member

I've probably seen Warren play live 50 times and agree he's great at playing slide in standard tuning. I haven't seen his instructional DVD so can't comment on how good (or not so good) it is, but you can likely pick up a bunch of his "go to" slide licks just by playing along with some of the ABB records he played on, and/or the first couple Gov't Mule albums.

Mick Taylor is another guy who's very adept at playing slide in standard tuning. A lot of his licks are pretty accessible, even if you don't have a ton of experience playing slide. I'd suggest checking out Taylor's slide playing on Love In Vain (Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out) and Sway (Sticky Fingers.)

17. glazed67

glazed67 Supporting Member

18. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Even though my video is a "day one" intro to slide, it touches on one TIP with standard tuning that is both important and often missed by even advanced players.

The tip is when playing in standard tuning the DGB strings create a nice movable major chord that can be the framework of many licks and phrases. However the B string will specifically be a little sharp, SO there are licks that really sound best with the slide slightly slanted to flatten the B string just a hair. This anomaly is something you typically don't need to worry about in open tunings because the 3rds are usually tuned by ear to sound perfect. But in standard tuning the 3rd in this case is indeed sharp enough that when you keep the slide perfectly straight some licks actually sound quite out of tune.

Check out my video for more details on this issue, and how to work around it.

Glen Kuykendall

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  19. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

Agree with these, also Brett Garsed has one or more slide videos. He plays in standard tuning, and does some pretty sick things.

haslar and derekd like this.