Dubstep?!?!

stag7533

So, I'll make this short and sweet. I'm playing in this pop star band thingy and I need to get some dubstep out of my guitar. What's my best bet?

A low pass filter that is either LFO controled or expression pedal controlled.

Moog low pass filter
And subdecay prometheus dlx are two that spring to mind. But start looking for low pass filters that are not controlled by an envelope follower.

Other than that i would have an octave down pedal into a fuzz. Or a pedal like the ehx micro synth or subdecays octosythn

Occam

Just say no. That garbage is still garbage but not even trendy any more so people with terrible taste will have to find something else to listen to. Is this some sort of joke/mock song? If not you might want to reconsider the taste of this band you're in.

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
90% of "dubstep" is done through a sequencing/sampling/looping program using sound samples and manipulating them with multiple effects. It's not a simple thing to do on a guitar or even get close with. The video shown above is only one of a few decent examples of a band covering something like that, but the majority of it is done on a MacBook. I got into dubstep a couple years ago when Skrillex started to become popular, and in all my research, it's not something a guitar player can do without a lot of heavy effects and samples, and even then it's not going to sound like what you would associate with dubstep.

JRMagnus

Just say no. That garbage is still garbage but not even trendy any more so people with terrible taste will have to find something else to listen to. Is this some sort of joke/mock song? If not you might want to reconsider the taste of this band you're in.
Man how old are you? I highly doubt you've dwelled into the genre. If you don't like it don't trash it. Electronic music can be and is incredibly complex in terms of phrasing/time signatures -- more so than popular rock/blues in my opinion. Flying Lotus (not dubstep) is absolutely incredible. Dubstep is not strictly defined by that warble sound; James Blake is considered a Dubstep artist and there is none of that to be found.

AnalogKid85

So, I'll make this short and sweet. I'm playing in this pop star band thingy and I need to get some dubstep out of my guitar. What's my best bet?
I've just started to get into dubstep with my guitar, and I can tell you that the kill switch I installed years ago to play RATM is really coming in handy now! I will probably get a multi-tap delay pedal/rack unit of some kind to pair with that and make weird rhythms with it, maybe even a Boss Slicer pedal (definitely something that can do tap tempo). Also I think tap-tempo syncable step filters (like in the newer Line 6 and Zoom pedals) would be great for dubstep. I picked up the new Whammy 5 recently and I'm really getting a lot of cool sounds for dubstep with it, though I do plan on getting some kind of MIDI control for it so I can switch between the various modes instantly--you have to be able to turn on a dime with this stuff! I really like using the 2nd Down mode on the Whammy particularly, since you can go back and forth between two power chords like a slide would, without going out of tune...also the dive bomb and 2 octaves down is very handy for getting those sudden "dropouts" :) I also find the Whammy to be pretty useful in "tuning" open G, B, and E strings to whatever pitch you want, so you can do a lot of open-string licks (a la Satriani, Petrucci, etc.) in any key, not to mention the harmonics that go along with that too.

stag7533

I think that saying that any type of music is garbage is extremely closed minded and is a misinformed opinion. You can find traces of all types of music in all types of music. And being a musician, you shouldn't hate a certain type of music just for what it is. It's the same mindset as racism.

bobcunningham

Very narrow-minded.

ScottySevins

Check out pin pinelle on you tube ther bass player get some awesome dubstep sounds out f the source audio stuff. The filters with distortion and the ht hand setup

sodapopinski

Can you tell us how you really feel?

Trending Topics