ducking delay use in practice

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by axelicker, Feb 23, 2012.

1. axelicker

axelicker Member

Am I the only one who finds ducking delay is a cool effect, but hard to get right? It's one thing to set up at home or in studio, but really tricky to use in a jam or live sitch.

You have to get the input sensitivity, threshold, and effect levels all just right...though when you do it's a cool effect for certain styles.

It's tricky enough to get FX levels right ANYWAY unless you are setting them up at gig volume, and even then it can depend on the dynamics of the room how much you hear delay, reverb, etc. On a modeler the access to ducking parameters is too cumbersome to tweak on the fly.

2. axelicker

axelicker Member

Hmm, well this went nowhere...

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

In what box?

I do it in the Axe-FX II and it's pretty straightforward and easy to work with. I use it on my delays for sure.

4. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

haven't been able to dial it in like i want on the M13, but to be fair, I haven't really tried very hard, just set everything in the middle and adjusted mix.

i love it in theory though, and will probably spend some time trying to get it right on the Axe FX and the M13 at some point.

5. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

I've had really nice results with the ducking delay features in the GSP1101. I'm still very much a GSP newb, but I've found it far easier to use than the ducking delay's on some of the Rocktron stuff I've used in the past.

All I can tell you is when you do find the sweet spots for the ducker thresholds & wet/dry levels - it's one of the coolest, most useable delay sounds ever.

I like to set mine such that while playing, there's still enough of an audible hint of delay in the mix to give an increased sense of ambience without obscuring whatever I'm playing at the time. Finding the right x-fade for having the feedback tails ramp up between phrases just right is trial and error. I'm getting really nice results though.

You do have to remember if you're putting anything else in the signal chain that alters the strength of the signal going into the ducker (compressors, ODs etc) - this will totally alter your threshold curve response, so you need to watch that and try to set it based on exactly what you'll be hitting it with FX & level-wise. Otherwise, the response will be all over the place.

6. axelicker

axelicker Member

My attempts have been with Rocktron Intellifex/Prophesy and the TC Gmaj2, G-Force (trickiest of all!) in an amp's loop. You have to watch that send levels can change if you dink with channel volume.
    With modelers, I've tried it in the GSP1101, Zoom 9.2tt, Fender Mustang (currently).

7. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

It's one of those effects I have never understood. What are examples of its real world applications?

8. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Ducking delay is one of my faves. Pretty useful if you are doing some tight rhythm sections followed by downbeat-only stuff. The single, fast strums get that nice delay while your rhythm chugging stays clean...no button pressing needed. Same can go for solos...I tend to prefer the ducking delay on faster licks, but if there are a lot of single notes that just wail, a different variety of delay will serve you better.

9. nofearfactor

nofearfactor Member

I used it first on my GSP1101 delays then when I got my AX-FX I used it with that unit on its delays. Pretty cool.

10. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Funny - I used to own each of these at some point in time. I still use a GM2 in the loop if my GSP1101. I was able to dial in a good DD on my Intellifex and GM2. I have to say the G-Force & the Prophesy were two of the most disappointing gear investments I've ever made. I really wanted to like them - but that's another thread. :drink

11. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

@BCy2k: FYI... I responded to some of your questions over on the mustbebeta forums. Sorry it took so long... Not a whole lotta activity over there these days :(

12. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Thanks - I did get to read your posts. I'm still hoping for a pleasant surprise someday, but as you mentioned, if Stan has been MIA for all this time the safe money says C63 is the final beta. Which isn't a bad thing at all in the grand scheme of things.