Dude's unusual approach to his ad for sold gear ...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jon Silberman, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

2. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

Love it! I do the same thing with my ads on Kijiji and leave them til they expire... I wish other people would do this more often!

3. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I thought it was a TGP policy that people removed the prices when something sold. I never understood it or liked it.
    If it isn't, what's the big secret? People are strange.

4. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

truer words never spoken.

5. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I think it's policy that people can do what they choose.

Some people are of the mindset that a dealing on TGP is a private transaction between two parties and prefer it to stay that way.

Others believe the information would be helpful to determine a market price for future transactions.

I am more in the former camp, because I think for rarer items it can unfairly be used as leverage on the next deal, which may or may not be conducted under the same circumstances. I was also raised that it's rude to ask someone what they paid for something, so there's definitely some of that in there as well. But for stuff that isn't rare, it's very easy to figure out a "fair" market price with about 5min of internet research.

Call me strange.

7. Jon Silberman

[​IMG]

8. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I understand your point. My thinking is, the price was listed when the ad was placed. So, it's made public. Why not leave it?
    If the buyer and seller negotiate it lower, that's between them and shouldn't be made public.

But if people feel better about hiding the price after the sale, that's up to them.

9. Jon Silberman

I want to be clear, in no way am I suggesting there be a rule one way or the other or that anyone be forced to disclose his selling or buying price.

What I am saying is that I find it helpful when others leave theirs up for me to consult and I'm more than happy to return the favor.

There are many things in life that are and should remain private. My own take for myself is that I can't see why this need include my selling or buying price for guitar gear. :)

10. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Good post, and good idea.

I do find myself a lazy scanner that looks for price, or instead the word "SOLD" as an indication of availability. As such, when an item sells, I simply replace the price with the word... Mostly out of habit and conformity.

There is value in leaving the asking price (though it still may not be the selling price)... I'll try to change my nasty habit ; )

11. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Amazing. Congratulations.

12. Jon Silberman

I never can tell if posts like Jerrod's are heartfelt or sarcastic. :p

13. dirk_benedict

The problem with this, if ever enforced by TGP, would be inflated asking prices for all listings.

Personally, if I know I am going to be active selling/buying stuff in this community, it's a more than fair ask to spend some time on the Emporiums and see what's out there in live ads for unsold stuff.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  14. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Just because you leave the asking price up doesn't mean that is what the buyer paid for it, so that isn't an accurate portrayal of market value, unless one goes back and changes their listing to show what they actually sold it for. And I just can't see that catching on.

15. dirk_benedict

I can understand that. To clarify my thinking a bit further, I'd prefer it be harder for people who lack a sense of community to come here, see that an item sold once for too high or too low and then use that single piece of information to then attempt to gouge someone in either direction. There is only value in the prices listed here if they are significantly far away from what Ebay or Reverb have. If something sells here for the exact price as the Ebay mean, there isn't any incremental value in knowing.

It's probably stupidly utopian of me to think this way, and to be fair, most of the people here I've dealt with have been great. But there still is a huge sense of trust involved in transacting on these forums and I personally don't mind there being a little bit of a hurdle, ie. watching the forums and getting a feel for what things are selling for, to people to get involved.

16. sanrico

sanrico Member

I personally take the price down. I figure the seller might not want the world knowing how much he paid for a piece of gear in case he has to sell it, which happens a LOT in the guitar buying/selling world.

17. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

That's all well and good, but it will dissapear in 45 days.
    It's best to lock the thread, then it'll get moved to the archive.

18. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

What is unusual?
    Doesn't really matter what you paid or what you want.. it's worth what it's worth on the day you sell it.
    I've made a small profit on a few things but mostly lost my A** on most things!... which I'm sure is the norm...

19. Jon Silberman

So look at it as an accurate portrayal of the asking price. That's like a NYC taxicab receipt: "Can't hurt/might help." :)

20. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Blasphemer!

I kind of like the transparency. :)