1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

"Due to COVID, I can't ship your order in a timely fashion"

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by COYS, Jul 11, 2020.

1. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Anyone else hearing this nonsense from people on Reverb? Why does covid keep you from printing a shipping label, or from getting to the post office or any other place where you can ship something for several days?

Conveniently, you only find out that covid has caused them to move 3 days' journey from a Post Office AFTER you make the purchase...

:argue

EDIT - I left out some details form this OP that fleshed out the situation more clearly. Please read before shredding me :)

UPDATE - after several more days I requested a refund, and all of a sudden the package got in the mail that very day :cool:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I respectfully disagree.

Depending on where you are the thought of going to a post office is reckless. If you’re not in a hotspot...count yourself lucky.

We went through hell in NYC trying to get this under control...Only to have it largely undone by science-averse citizens. Completely terrifying experience just going to the store. Looks like it’s going to keep bouncing around.

To expect someone to risk their life so you can have your toy is callous...provided they’re in a hot spot of which sadly there are many.

Perhaps it’d be better to be patient and compassionate...or ask for a refund? In the grand scheme of things it’s only a few days right? Though I agree it’s unprofessional not to mention the COVID delay in the listing.

jrw32, MikeVB, The-Kid and 196 others like this.
  3. Flying_Milkman

Flying_Milkman Member

I don’t know man, lots of people aren’t eating and making their mortgages because they’re laid off from work. Best to cut people a lot of slack right now - everyone needs it. If it’s that big an issue get a refund and move on.

4. gevans378

gevans378 Silver Supporting Member

We have, for the most part, got Covid under control in my home town. Package deliveries, through post or through companies like DHL or UPS, have not dug themselves under from the sheer mass of deliveries as people shifted their purchases online. I had a guitar take almost three weeks to be delivered when the stated delivery time was supposed to be four days. I had a similar experience shipping where the guitar sat at the couriers for two days inexplicably. Deliveries have been inconsistent at best in my neck of the woods.

cholula69, splatt, Millo 4.0 and 4 others like this.
  5. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

You can print a shipping label and put something in the mail without 'risking your life', it's literally a no contact proposition. Particularly if, as in this case, you are a shop that is still open and operating.

TIMMY51, egregion, uab9253 and 27 others like this.
  6. macmax77

macmax77 Member

I would suggest:
    1- stop selling.
    2- say it up front.

7. wox

wox Supporting Member

I only have a handful of things in my Reverb store, but I took it down for around 3 months during the height of Covid in NYC. This seller should have done that too, but you should bear with them, or ask them to cancel the sale if it's an item you can get elsewhere.

I didn't leave the house, other than to occasionally walk for exercise in the evening in very unpopulated areas, and I didn't go into the post office or any other business. I wasn't going to take a chance just so I could mail a $100 set of pickups.

I don't have a printer at home, and while I can go use a self-service USPS kiosk, it still means going inside and usually standing around some other people for a while.

Also, maybe this seller is sick or caring for a sick family member or is in a high-risk category.

M. Gregory, roachone, ESW. and 13 others like this.
  8. ns2a

ns2a Member

UPS, Fed ex and USPS will pick the package up from the seller. No excuse. Pull the listings down if you cannot ship quickly.

9. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

@COYS
    @ns2a

Not here...there’s no way I could have mailed you a guitar from the post office for at least 90 days. I’m sorry, but you’re just 100% wrong about that. I don’t have a mail box. We need to go to the post office to mail all items that won’t fit in a public mailbox. The post office is not a safe place in the middle of a viral breakout. Why don’t you tell us where you live so we can see your perspective?

I could have probably arranged a contactless UPS or Fed Ex pickup if I had an account and all the packing supplies on hand. I remember all we were doing for months was washing and disinfecting everything while scrambling for supplies. Taking care of the kids and protecting our livelihood while maintaining my Mother in Law’s health conditions. It was crazy. If you didn’t have my experience, I’m actually happy for you. Having lived in strict quarantine for over 100 days was really tough, but I think it made me a better person with more sympathy for what folks are going though. Have a heart.

Once again...You are totally right to be upset that the seller wasn’t upfront with you about the delay in shipping which was a known issue on that end, but not disclosed to you. That’s not cool.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  10. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

If they are that concerned, they shouldn't be selling.

11. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

@skydog

I agree!

I would have NEVER even thought to sell at the height of the NYC C-19 crisis.

But I do remember how crazy it was, and that memory has made me more chill about a delay stemming from the pandemic(if that’s really what’s happening).

I see now that it’s a store that’s open...So yeah, that’s a poor way to do business. But, maybe they’ve had some delays with packing supplies or whatever. Bottom line is...It’s taking longer than usual. I still understand.

Where I agree with you is that they weren’t upfront about it. But you can always ask for a refund if you’re in a hurry and buy it elsewhere, provided it’s not a unique piece or you got a great deal. Your call to proceed under these newly disclosed terms or ask for a refund.

Obviously we all want our gear goodies ASAP (TGP). I think some folks after going through the C-19 crisis came out a little more tolerant of these types of inconveniences...while other places weren’t hit that hard are still where I was back in February.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  12. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

Everyone thinks the rest of he world is like their neighborhood. Take off the blinders.

M. Gregory, splatt, FuzzMike and 41 others like this.
  13. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

if this were the first of April, and it were a guitar, and it were NYC then I would understand.

this is a pedal, shipping from a shop that is open to the public, in a state that is not in any kind of a crisis.

I don’t care about the delay in shipping, I care about using the virus as an excuse for poor service. It should be disclosed up front, and it seems to take advantage of the situation for one’s own ease, which is beyond crass.

uab9253, spentron, Kizanski and 15 others like this.
  14. binge

binge Member

I'd say if you don't like the shipping rules then avoid buying the item.

TTHX and rizla like this.
  15. PeterG

PeterG Member

I ordered a book on Amazon on May 22nd. Have not received it yet. Seller blames COVID. I call bull-!@#$%

16. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Did you even read the original post?

17. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Not for anything, that goes more than one way.

18. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

What does this even mean?

Chops and roachone like this.
  19. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

Think about it.

skisquash, ESW., npappas and 3 others like this.
  20. binge

binge Member

It means look at the bigger picture.

21. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

realize there is a lot of stuff going in the world that may be impacting others differently than what you are dealing with?

FuzzMike, SimAlex, kidtwist and 15 others like this.